I hope everyone is well

It seems to me that some of our regular posters haven’t been posting lately - or maybe less than usual.

I hope all is OK.

4 Likes

I am all good ^^ just busy.

Currently following a course to become an additional emergency medical responder when a large scale disaster (30+ simultanous, acute, potential patients. Think plane crashes, large fires, evacuations, etc), where I will then be able to be tasked with the secondary check of victims to see if they need minor treatment (which me and my collegues also perform), treatment from a medical professional or emergency treatment (aka, is going to be dead soon but has been missed by the medical staff doing the primary check).

So I will be pretty busy for the next few weeks!

How are you? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Good luck with your course :smiley: :+1:

That reminds me of jet engine incidents and oilfield incidents. I was a troubleshooter/investigator.

I still renew my first-aid qualification every 3 years. (It’s called “first aid” in the UK.) I am delighted to say that my training has been a complete waste of time. I have never even put an elastoplast on anyone, or an arm round someone’s shoulder. I hope it stays that way.

In the evenings, some of the oilfield guys spoke about some horrific incidents that they had witnessed first hand. Some of them needed psychiatric treatment. I’ve never given anyone else the full details - just general details. My self-help psychiatry method was to write down as many of the details as possible . I then re-read my notes every few days to start with, then weeks, then months, years. So, although some things still make me sad, I have no history of nightmares or whatever.

Once again - good luck :smiley:

2 Likes

Autumn semester at university just started (which is why I wasn‘t here as often as before). Not sure if this might be the reason for other people, too. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Very valid point.

Thanks.

1 Like

This training does go a lot further than the first aid most get taught. It focusses a lot more on how to organize everything and how to monitor a couple dozen people in case their injuries are far worse than expected. Adrenalin can make dying patients look okay, so things can turn bad quickly and you may not even have the chance to send someone to ambulance staff before someone drops dead in front of you. Not for the faint of heart indeed.

Aside from that I do a lot of first aid on events, the training for which also includes a load of things a normal first aid course doesnt cover. But then again I do join the teams that work on places where a simple band-aid is not enough. We have had a guy come to us with a knife sticking out of his abdomen, fun stuff.

2 Likes