I have some serious doubts regarding Memory Palace usage

Pardon me If you find it difficulty in understanding my English as I am not native.

Few days ago, I had been in confusion whether to opt for subject based method or Memory Palace method for learning German.
After going through lot of post in this forum finally decided to opt for Memory Palace Method. But I am finding some difficulties in this method.

1. How to put new words on relevant same Position objects of different memory palace. For Example, I have Sofa, bed, Table in different Memory Palaces. Then how should I put words on it.

2. If some words naturally fit in location then its fine. But many words doesn’t fit naturally then it feels like I am forcing them in the location, which I am tend to forget after sometime if I stop revising them. And also it often feels perfect story of that word on some day but on other day when I am revising it then I feel like I have a better story then in doing so I change the original story. Then it becomes complete Mess.
    Please note that I am beginner in both [ Learning German and Applying Memory Palace method] so for the starting I am not using any Complex System such as Image Modifiers. I am just focusing on the word itself and not the grammar or Gender of it.

It would be great if you can provide me help on this. Even better if can give some examples.

First off, I would like to say that while a memory palace is a great technique, it has its limitations. I find it next to useless for most of language usage, because language is something you have to do. It can help with learning, but it is not all you need. A memory palace is like a book inside your head, imagine having to search for every word you want to say in a conversation, it wont help much.

Lets go with the sofa and the german word for ‘tomorrow’: morgen.

You would want to create images for both, preferably one image for both. To me, it could be Morgan Freeman wearing a shirt from Tomorrowland (famous festival in belgium). He is sitting on my sofa, maybe enjoying some coffee or whatever which he spills over your sofa.

The trick is to not just put him there, but to have him be there, especially when you are just starting. You want him being there, interacting with the place.

Your images have to interact with your loci, then most will fit. Lets say you want the word “machen” (meaning ‘to do’) at your dishwasher. You could choose to go with ‘mach’ as the image. You are racing through the the room, feeling as if you are going mach 1. You crash into the dishwasher and your mother/boyfriend/child/cat is like “what are you doing?”

That is an interaction. Every beginning is tough, later on you will grow more creative and more efficient in creating images.

6 Likes

Thanks Mayarra for your reply. For your 1st Answer what exactly I asked for is What if I have sofa in multiple palaces then how will you differentiate between these sofa.
For example
It feels easy for 1 or 2 sofa but what if you have to learn massive vocabulary. Then memory loci will often repeat such as tables, walls, kitchen then it will be tough for me.

Morgen = Tommorow ( Sofa at Palace A) Morgan Freemen Doing something
Machen = to do ( Sofa at palace B) flash running over sofa a Mach 1
Abau = Declining ( Sofa at Palace C) Some People discussing about there decline market share

Now how should I differentiate between them All Sofas are same

For your 2nd suggestion it’s 100% right I have to make some interactive story. But as beginner I make story then after sometime I feel like I have a better story.
In end it sometimes happen that I don’t remember that better story but the first one while revising and then mess starts :joy:. Sometimes I do remember the better story also

If the Sofa’s look different, there is no problem at all. Same with the tables. As long as you can tell them apart, there is no problem.
If the Sofa’s all look the same, and you have no way of changing them in your memory palace to make them stand out, make them fit in the room.

Lets say I have 3 sofa’s in my own house, all three look the same. One is in my living room, one is in my bedroom and one is in my daughter’s bedroom. The one in the living room will have cat’s laying on it, so maybe a cat is doing that right now, on Morgan Freeman’s lap, demanding to be pet by him. In my bedroom, there are clothes flying all around, clothes that I had dumped on that sofa but which are now tossed around by the flash. I feel to my daughter’s bedroom, and there are barbie and lego figures on the sofa discussing about the declining market share.

That way each sofa has something unique.

5 Likes

Amazing! Great suggestion thanks.
I see After all it’s art linking your word, your location, meaning, some characters/ objects which are known to you by heart.
The more bonded is your story the more easily you can recall the words.
Long way to go to learning the art of story telling :sweat_smile::slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks once again for your valuable input.

1 Like

I’m going to be a bit contrary and make a suggestion that contradict’s something Mayarra said. :blush:

Personally, I think your memory images can interact with the real objects and furnishings in your room, but they don’t have to. In fact, you may sometimes find it useful to replace the existing furniture and fixtures with your images.

If you have a bookshelf in a space, maybe sometimes it will make sense to put your images on the shelves. But if your image involves something that doesn’t fit on a shelf—or something that, if you shrunk it down to fit would lose its impact—then just say, “Well, instead of a bookshelf, there’s now a giraffe standing there, whose head has burst through the ceiling”… or, you know, whatever.

Bob

3 Likes

Yep you are right infact retention of the word is comparatively by replacing it with something.
In my ab Palace,
I replaced my TV with Picture Portraying a building falling in the pond of coffee.
That sums up Abbilden = Portray, to Copy
Is it correct way if your words has multiple meaning?

But then it also depends on your word | Meaning | location.
Right now I am experimenting with these things

1 Like

That’s a really good one! I never add more than one meaning at a time because once I start finding and using in different contexts I just encounter them and add them, so wow! When you go through your journey and to your tv, do you recall it good? Important thing is it that it works.

Here is the frequency dictionary I used way back. Lucky us it’s in public domain!! At the end of it is alphabetical. Examples are not translated and it’s a good thing. I strongly suggest you take advantage of that and add another image that comes from the sound of the example sentence. Little by little, as you learn more about the language, you’ll understand these examples and better know how the words are used, their prepositions, etc.

I haven’t tried it vastly yet
But so far it’s good if story interactive