I have great difficulty understanding the books.

Only now have I had this difficulty in being able to read books in English (and this only happens in those written in English), my main language is Portuguese and not English, I am not yet fluent in English and I have some difficulties to start writing in English, hear something or read in English.

Sometimes this looks like a “seven-headed monster”, in the books I have been trying to read there are several terms in which I have not yet started to learn and I had a list of very bulky books to start studying (in one of my e-books there is 500 books), one of my great difficulties is to start to understand the concept of books, or even to use dynamic reading to accelerate the reading and give me a better understanding, but this gets more and more difficult because when I try to remove the subvocalization of my mind the text in the books starts to lose sense, because I see the need to understand the terms in English quickly and then start to really read, for example, if a word appears in the text, it takes about 2 seconds for my brain to understand what this word means what the text means, but if I apply dynamic reading, I start not understanding the text because "my brain didn’t wait for those 2 seconds to convert the English term for comprehension in Portuguese ".

One of the members of this forum recommended two techniques so that I could better read the books, memorize terms and etc…

Which are the Feynman technique and the use of spaced repetition in the Anki software. I spent about two days trying to memorize some terms in English which often appear in the texts, but in which most of the time these terms confused me, for example, often confused “a lot” with “little (pouco)”, and their meaning and many (muito)".

Regarding Feynman’s technique, I have a question, could I use it for now while reading the books in real time? Would it be a" proper "way to use the technique? Because I see that maybe using the appropriate technique can take up a lot of my time, and if that “system” that I want to make work, I’ll try to imagine a teacher “teaching” in my mind about what the text in the books mean for the moment as I move my eyes between the text.

In this text above I can “translate” it into Portuguese, which looks like this:

"Você pode limitar a visualização do hardware especificando a opção -r. No qual poderia ser ether, ax25 or pronet, (não conheço a palavra standing) para 10 Mbps. AMPR AX.25 e IEEE 802.5 e respectivamente.

A opção -s é usada para adicionar endereços de “hostname’s” para as tabelas ARP. O argumento hwaddr especifica o endereço do hardware, onde é declarado por padrão exceto para ser um endereço Ethernet com seis bytes hexadecimais separados por colunas.

…"

But translating the entire book in full just to increase my understanding would be very tiring work and perhaps it could not be the result. Are there methods for me to be able to read these texts as if I were an “English reader”?

Notes: I wrote this whole post using the Google Translator because my English is really poor.

1 Like

In learning to read well in a foreign language, I suggest you start with books for young adults with simple straightforward plots. The context of the narrative will often hint at the meaning of new phrases, the vocabulary will be limited and the style simpler. I understand that reading cowboy stories is not that useful for itself but it will give you good practice.

4 Likes

Hi my friend,

You have to start with basic and then go to complex.

You can also buy a Portuguese to English/English to Portuguese dictionary.

Ok?

God bless you,
Stefos

1 Like