How to trick the brain?

Can anyone tell me how to trick the brain ?

1 Like

What kind of tricking are you after? There are for example very mechnical tricks such as optical illusions.

There is even visualised exercise, promoting strength gains without physically doing any exercise.

2 Likes

I want to trick the brain into thinking that it has practiced a lot even when I have done little practice,

Just as doing the 4-3-2-1 speed drill tricks the brain into thinking that it is reading slower than it actually is,I want to trick the brain into thinking that it has practiced more than it actually has so that the brain increases the strength of my synapses more than it normally does when I practice something.

And,

I also want to trick the brain into thinking that it has remembered less than it actually has so that I would potentially get to store more information in my memory,

And maybe this will potentially reduce the number of hours it takes to get really good at something(10000-25000 hours) into 10000 hours or even lesser,

I got that number from speed reading courses which triple the reading speed of a person and which mostly consist of 4-3-2-1 drills.

so I want to trick the Brain into thinking that it has done something less or more than it actually has. ,

And,

Have a Nice Day.

2 Likes

In theory it is very much possible to trick the brain into thinking you have done more than you actually have.

First to highlight the distasteful parts.
Why this is highly likely not to work.

The type of tricking into believing more practice has occured is a perception trick. Perception does not imply the underlying machinery, so it would be unlikely to exert the desired effect on the underlying machinery.

Making your brain believe it has done more, does not directly imply it will enhance plasticity or actually convert this expectation into reality. While cases such as a lack of sleep can exert varying effects on plasticity, these cases tend to occur even when the perception does not match the state.

All that said, maybe there is an undiscovered switch alike thing somewhere in the brain that responds to this. I don’t really think there is but experiencing things yourself is better.

Tricking your brain from a perception point is easy.
You can justify the situation. For example If you set your time back randomly you can argue that you must have set it much further back in the worst case considering how much force you have used (if it is a dial). Then you can work a bit and stare back at your watch noticing that it is already the time you perhaps had started at or just after. In reality this could be 6 minutes. You can however think it is 50 minutes. Over-time you may completely lose your sense of time and feel like you have spent a lot of time when in reality you have spent very little.

This is one example of many with justification. It is plausible because you don’t know, so you can consider it is a particular case out of the plausible cases.

You can also put out a white lie. “The deadline is monday” when in reality it could be tuesday. This would put pressure on yourself to get it done by monday. Even though in reality you do know your deadline is Tuesday. You will temporarily believe it is Monday and kind of forget that it is Tuesday while working on it. This is a white lie because it doesn’t specify ‘what deadline’ so in reality it is true still.
In this case you can tell yourself that you have been working for a much longer time than you in reality have, you will eventually more readily think of this time than the actual time because this typically isn’t something you check or think about every odd minute.

In principle: Your brain believes you, your brain holds your beliefs, Your brain believes your justifications, Your brain doesn’t really see pure data, it sees your interpretation of this pure data. The parts of your brain that do not entirely compose of expectations and perception ,are very literal, they do as required or constructed to do.

I’m not so sure about tricking my brain. I think I used to try that and ultimately, I think that being honest with my brain, actually does work. Unless, if by tricking, you mean finding a “shortcut”, well, that’s not really tricking – it’s just finding a faster route which already truly existed! So finding shortcuts and being honest works for me.

The thing about ‘tricking’ the brain, is you ultimately still know what you’re doing. You know that you’re trying to ‘trick’ your brain. But being honest, well, then you’re basically not trying to hide anything. You dish all of the honest feelings and intentions out, understand them, and then you’ll find truly faster routes to accomplishing mental things.

So for example, if I wanted to ‘trick’ my brain to thinking it’s going faster: I wouldn’t see it like that. I would just think something like: my brain is faster than I think, my brain is doing more than I think. In the original ‘tricking’, my belief is that it’s a lie that my brain is fast and want it to go faster somehow. In the latter ‘believing’ example, you actually believe the brain is faster than you think, trust in that, and strive and make decisions in that way – and it’s not lying that you believe it’s faster if you tap into the understanding that there are things that we can’t see. So I don’t actually know definitively how fast my brain is – which means I can make real efforts to discover just how fast it is – which involves just involves normal exploration and having positive anticipation.

So in a nutshell, what you really want to do is not trick your brain that it’s going faster so that you remember more – you really just want the goal rather than the process – which is, you want the brain to remember more. Or actually go faster. Which will hopefully happen as we explore more.

Sorry I ranted about that.

1 Like

I have an idea of using imagery to practice accountancy in a parallel memory palace,

In which I will imagine my self in a parallel memory palace and then practicing accounting in both the memory palaces at the same time,

I have created a shortcut for solving accountancy problems by using the Major System by taking the consonants of the terms of accountancy and adding vowels with letters capitalised to indicate credit,

For example caB will be

Cash A/c Dr
To Bank A/c

With the vowel “a” added to C and B as according to the Major System.

I am also thinking of recording my voice saying the statements along with the words and then practicing Accountancy rapidly by using parallel memory palaces in my sleep which I hope will work,

How

I will hear the statements and I will think of the world’s and then quickly write them at very superhuman speeds(Since my writing speed is my main bottleneck in Accounting but in my lucid dreams it is not if I want to) and then I will check the answers after hearing the Major System words and in my imagination will quickly correct If I need to and I hope that this will work),

And,

Cheers.