How to seize commute

Hi! I’m about to start my new quarter in college, and I’d like to seize my commute by using that time to review using memory techniques.

There’s a caveat though, I cannot use my phone, my laptop or any other similar device because my city (Caracas) is extremely dangerous, and using a smartphone or similar on public transport would be super risky.

So, what techniques do you recommend me to review using only my mind? What techniques can I apply at home to prepare my mind for the review?

2 Likes

Anki allow you to print out your flashcards to PDF:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1025789669
Good luck at uni. I hope things go well for the people of Venezuela.

2 Likes

If you’re using memory palaces for storing information, you can always review them mentally no matter where you are. You could also use the commute to dream up new palaces and get familiar with their layouts. If you’re memorizing lists or dates, use pen and paper during your travel time to write down the information; check it once you get somewhere where you can safely use a device where you’ve stored the information. (Or carry paper printouts so you can check your recall en route.)

Bob

4 Likes

Its definitely doable without anything else than the memory palace techniques. I commute every day and take advantage of this moment to use nothing but my palaces to review and create and update existing ones. It helps my soaring eyes also! I usually prepare a few minutes before bed and go through the palace s I need for the day right before leaving home. It necessitates that skills be developed but they do exponentially grow once you grab on with descipline and build palaces regularly. I suggest building palaces with a basic random stuff at first, like Hello, apple, thank you, bird, your mother, etc. And then you will be able to reuse these palaces for more complicated stuff for school. Don’t worry these things don’t get mixed up when they are for long-term (don’t forget to go through your palace the second you feel a piece of it is weak!) and also very different as a whole. Also don’t forget to experiment, there’s a lot of “trial and error” to develop these skills the way that is best for you and what you are trying to learn.

2 Likes