How to overcome laziness?

Even though memory techniques are the best methods they take a lot of mental effort to make. Being a lazy person I often skip the use of memory techniques in my studies and and keep re-reading to memorise just as everybody does.

I want to ask if there is any solution to overcome this laziness? Since I don’t want to miss the effectiveness of memory techniques.

There is no easy way out. If you want results, you have to put in the work. However, you can take steps to make it less tedious. I’ve had success with turning it into a game and competing against myself (eg. Memorize three stanzas every day, and at the end of the week, there is a reward if I am successful.

3 Likes

Might wanna have a look at one of these…

Sounds interesting, what is your experience, should I keep a journal for these challenges and stuff? What motivates you for these challenges and keep up to them?

I have tried some habit tracking apps but after a certain period of time they feel inefficient as I find it a burden and frustrating when I miss my habit for a few days because of any event like exams or something that leads me to quit.

I see what you mean… I prefer the Nike Run awards over the Apple Watch awards. If you miss a day on the Nike app it’s not a big deal because the awards are “3 weeks in a row”, “3 months in a row”, etc. so it doesn’t matter so much if you miss a single day. On the Apple Watch your “perfect month” is gone if you miss a single day… so I see your point.

There is however, a*social component to both of these apps… have you tried that yet? There has been a few studies on social accountability… you could basically do it on this very forum. Just post in #journals and tell us what you want to achieve by when and how often you’ll give an update.

The idea behind it as far as the research is that you don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of other people and you’ll stick more to your goals if you make them publicly visible. Depends on the person I guess, but give it a shot.

1 Like

I will recommend a book, Automic Habits by James Clear to understand why we cannot stick to some good habits and why some unwanted habits stick with us. I had written review of that book on Amazon and I will reproduce some part of that review here to give you some idea.

The principle presented in the book about understanding who to become, that is finding out what identity to achieve instead of just starting or stopping a habit is very helpful.

One important aspect of this book is the to the point summary provided after every chapter. Once you have read the book this summary helps recall all the concepts in short time and becomes a concise model to revise the concepts.

The book is engaging and is suitable for reading cover to cover as it provides many stories and references. As the concept of process than goals was already known to me through the Learning How to Learn MOOC at Coursera, I was glad to find the same concept mentioned in this book and was able to relate quickly with the principles.

The book also becomes a workbook and reference material once you have gone through it. The chapters are divided into sections which can be referred for particular situation in hand.

I will recommend this book for anyone who is eager to understand why habits are formed and how to nurture good habits and avoid bad ones.

1 Like

Dopamine basically…

You can google “brain reward loop feedback” and things like this… up to you then how to hack it. Give yourself a piece of chocolate every time you get something right… stick and carrot in essence:

3 Likes

That seems quiet interesting to me, I have also heard about many people doing this.

Is there any specific platform where I should try this? Should I try on any social media like instagram, etc or should I create a thread on this platform. I think it will be a very good idea if we support and motivate each other in achieving each others’ goals in this community.

Gonna bookmark this for later.

I went through this process about 3 years before I got married which is now 18 years ago.
Worked through personal productivity process, the PMBoK, 7 Habits, Used MindMaps, todo lists with dates, agile, prioritization, and classification. Took about 6 months to get organized and then maintained it fairly well for a few years.

The old SMART( specific measurable achievable realistic and something or other) objectives really crisp it up. Making rational decisions can be a bit of a game in itself.

Inertia always makes the first step seem unachievable.

2 Likes