How to learn law?

Hi,
I’m a law student from Poland. In Poland, as in any country of continental Europe, law is codified in books called codes. There’s a criminal code, a civil code, a trade code and so on. The smallest sensible unit of information in code is an article (alternatively: section). Every article is marked by a number. It goes without saying that to pass an exam one needs to memorize the whole code. In order to do it I use a little bit modified version of Major System.

Here’s an example based on German Criminal Code.

Section 19
Persons who have not attained the age of fourteen at the time of the commission of the offence shall be deemed to act without guilt.

Number 19 – tube (cylinder)
I imagine a judge hitting a child (it wears a t-shirt with number 14 printed on it) with a tube. The judge screams: ‘Not guilty’.

Section 172
Whosoever contracts a marriage although he is already married, or whosoever contracts a marriage with a married person, shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding three years or a fine.

72 + 100 – gun + dancing (Explanation: numbers from 100-900 are actions)

A big gun with hands and legs is dancing and shooting at two brides. First bride carries with her a number three and the second one holds a pouch with money.

Of course, section 172 appears not only in criminal code but also in civil code, etc. For these reason I imagine events and objects in different colors. Example: criminal code – red, civil code – green.

Although this technique works quite well, it consumes a lot of time and mental energy.

Do you have any other ideas which can help avoid the abovementioned repetitions? Better, faster, sexier? :wink:

1 Like

One idea is to place the criminal codes in a different memory palace (or city) than the civil codes. E.g., put civil code #172 in a location in one city, and criminal code #172 in another city.

I wrote down the method that I used succefully to learn court cases: https://artofmemory.com/group/1131/any-new-tips-2402.html

In Argentina we have aswell a continental system based on Codes, but I still have to develop a good method for learning them. I used to try to memorize articles exactly, associating the numbers with images, but I felt the same as you “Although this technique works quite well, it consumes a lot of time and mental energy”. I also made color squares in Power Point: (with pictures, Major system) http://www.imagebam.com/image/25013f177394937; (without pictures) http://www.imagebam.com/image/161b99177394943.

I got better results and a more efficient use of time when I change to reading, marking and explaing my readings to a friend or family member, pretending that I was a teacher. Perhaps recording yourself in video (without reading or looking) could be an option, as if you were giving a speech to an imaginary class, if you can’t find anyone patient enough to sit with you (as sometimes has happened to me). You might not get the exact articles, but you’re going to get a very good idea of the content.

During my student years (I’m almost a lawyer) I didn’t get perfect scores using memory techniques, but I did raise the floor very much. Let’s say my floor is 7 or 8 out of 10. Before it was generally lower.

1 Like

I just came across this old thread. I’m wondering if that link is supposed to point to this post?