How to get back into this?

np

It’s been a long time guys. I originally joined this site a few years ago. Since, my need for memory training has changed. I want to be able to train my memory to better remember and be able to produce vocabulary in my target language: Arabic. I don’t really know the best way to do this. I’ve been relying on Anki and flashcards for the last few years and have become exhausted with the method. I figure that hating my reviews was not helping my mind to care enough to actually keep stuff in memory; so I’m back to doing stuff I enjoy: the memory palace. I do have a few questions about to get back into the groove of things.

1. How do I use the method of loci and visualization to remember Arabic now that I’m ditching Anki.

2. I’m an accounting student and need to know a lot of concepts. How do I go about using the method of loci for concepts? I know how to use it for lists of objects and random facts, but not to understand a “process” or how things work.

3. How do I apply space time repetition best to my journeys that I travel? Although I hate Anki, I realize how important space-time repetition is. I guess I can only remember to do it for about 7 days. But how? Should I review once daily?

4. How do I transform concepts placed in my journeys into action? For example, in the past, on exams, I found I could easily retrace my journey beforehand but could not during and sometimes wouldn’t be able to tie together the journey with the exam question.

5. How do I solidify the journey from the beginning? Do I need to review the journey each and every time I add another idea/concept, or is it okay to add a few then periodically revisit everything from the beginning.

Thanks guys. I’m excited to be back.

Welcome back!

Have you seen Aaron Ralby’s approach to language learning with memory palaces? He has a course for Arabic, but there will be a full-blown VR version coming soon I think.

Wow, I have not heard about this at all. It’s super rare to come across material presented in this way for Arabic. I am surprised and am about to look into it. By the way, what does VR refer to?

VR is short for Virtual Reality. You’ve maybe seen the headsets that people wear to immerse themselves in this ‘virtual reality’ experience. I’m very much looking forward to the upcoming applications of memory palaces and Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. The software currently being developed by Linguisticator is called Macunx VR. I hear that it will also have a desktop version that doesn’t require a VR headset.

I cannot even imagine what that is going to bring to the table, except that it’ll be intense and innovative. I cannot wait. I will be the 1st to hop on that when it comes about.

VR/AR is already here! It is in shopping centers (like this ). Also, I used cool AR applications for travelling. I am sure you also have used it, but did not recognize it.

Hi…Welcome back! Not sure why you needed to leave an online forum to begin with…LOL :slight_smile:

1. How do I use the method of loci and visualization to remember Arabic now that I’m ditching Anki.

I wouldn’t use the loci method to remember Arabic…I would use the association method.
Also, Come up with number shapes for Arabic numerals & letters would help you immensely too!

I use it for Tibetan actually.

1. I’m an accounting student and need to know a lot of concepts. How do I go about using the method of loci for concepts? I know how to use it for lists of objects and random facts, but not to understand a “process” or how things work.

A process is not something mnemonics will help you with directly but indirectly…Please remember that.
However once you’ve memorized the material, you can then link it together facilitating learning.

1. How do I apply space time repetition best to my journeys that I travel? Although I hate Anki, I realize how important space-time repetition is. I guess I can only remember to do it for about 7 days. But how? Should I review once daily?

I’m not understanding what you mean by space/time…
If you mean kinetic memory or remembering movements of the body, hand, leg, etc. , you have to practice and use an Up/Down, Left/Right, Upper Left/Lower Right, Upper Right/Lower Left mnemonic visual tool (IMHO).

All learning, from what I’ve studied, must be refreshed from 24 to 48 hours to ensure from short term to long term memorization.

1. How do I transform concepts placed in my journeys into action? For example, in the past, on exams, I found I could easily retrace my journey beforehand but could not during and sometimes wouldn’t be able to tie together the journey with the exam question.

For me, Loci are useful for directions and movement, I’m investigating this matter more…I’m partial to what we in the U.S. have used which is largely a non Loci method: Association…

In the meantime, my opinion is to link your concepts together once you’ve understood them creating a chain.

Putting parentheses around associated concepts is important also, which you can do via visualizing Jaws or a Steel Trap with its mouth open.

Movements only come into play once you have an idea as to where the concept fits…Ex.
Gradients are used by surveyors…When you learn the math behind the Gradient, you associate it with the road OR along the road, street or what have you.

1. How do I solidify the journey from the beginning? Do I need to review the journey each and every time I add another idea/concept, or is it okay to add a few then periodically revisit everything from the beginning.

My opinion on this is that you should refresh your association NOT journey every 24 to 48 hours and re-memorize everything once every piece is completed.

The last thing you want is to be stuck in an incomplete mental picture or Journey with incomplete ideas making an incomplete concept.

Make sense?
Stefos

P.S. Blessings my friend