How to create mental images so vivid that they go into permanant memory

How can I create mental images in my Memory Palace that are so vivid that they along with the information which they contain go into my permanant memory so that I or anybody else will not need to revise to retain that information permanently,

And,

Cheers.

1 Like

It all depends on how good your memory and imagination is.

2 Likes

Well one thing I’ve been messing around with is putting a person at each Loci to anchor things to, but the person doubles as the permanent information I want to store. So the permanent information gets reviewed automatically when I am using the palace for other things, and becomes practically impossible to forget.

2 Likes

Could you give an example? I’m not sure I understand

@aicreator, that’s one of the issues I’ve been working with also. I believe the first principle to work on is to have enough practice. If you are concerned with moving images from artificial memory to natural memory, it does take much review over time.

I’ve known the Major system for 30 years but it wasn’t until recently after applying it in daily reviews for about 3 years that numbers spoke to me easily without consciously encoding them. (I’m not doing competition intensity practice.) Then, permenent memory is a result of occasional review.

After discussing with @katiek about her characters she installs in her journey locations, I started doing the same. I placed relevant people in a palace stencil I use as a rule to traverse any room, there are imaginary characters telling me their stories as I walk a journey from my house, and I’m working on another set of people as subject pegs to apply to any palace location.

I was motivated to do that by working with the principle of the five visual components that I call SEA-IT (subject-person, enhancements of subject, action, item-object, and terrain-location). They combine to form a visual sentence which is the most vivid type of memory image possible.

When you have just one or two, the image and its ability to associate with is weak, but adding more components makes the image stronger. So when you add a subject-person to a location, your chances for interactions is greater and your memory stronger.

So, in your palace, think about writing out the location and associating it with a relevant person if possible who is dressed uniquely in their domain. They also will have a typical action you know them for. These three are strongly related. Then find a typical item-object they can act on and an appropriate background you can apply to your palace like wallpaper.

I paired up Frank Sinatra in his soft-brimmed hat with his action of singing “New York, New York.” His item-object was a 1960’s style recording microphone and his location was Times Square. In my hallway, the carpet is now the sidewalk and open area with photo-op characters and the walls form the glitzy billboards. (Frank is my NE compass point to my hallway in the NE corner of my living room. I don’t like the cube method with its barren visuals.)

Relevant associations are most important when designing a system for long-term retention. Short-term associations rely more on bizarre types of associations.

Let me know how you are doing if you try my methods. Good luck!

1 Like

Maybe an example is a rabit shooting carrots with a machine gun(Credit to Anthony Metivier for this example in his course),

And I think that it is because it is unforgettable just like Anthony had said,

It seemed to be implied in Ron White’s course that if you forget an image it is because the image was not vivid enough,

And the same thing is true for the information associated with the image also,

I want to know how to create images that vivid that they go to permanant memory without the need for revision,

If I will know it then I will create a method for it,

However using that method always may lead to encoding difficulties as was seen in flies whi were genetically engineered to have photographic memories,

They remembered everything for 2 to 3 days but then they started to have difficulties encoding,

I think that if vivid enough images are constantly thought of in the imagination then more than a certain limit then it will become more and more difficult to use this information for some time before it becomes easier,

I think that the advantages of a method by which a person can think of vivid enough images will be permanant while it’s disadvantages will be temporary,

And,

Have a Nice Day.

I regret you didn’t find any helpful thoughts in my post. I hope that I am more than just a fly. :grin:

1 Like

are you asking me for an example?

No, I am trying your methods and I was writing that comment before you had written your comment and I am also hoping to combine it with Ron White’s Method for memorizing your comments,

I enjoy reading your comments and had applied all the information which you had written in your forum topic of system analysis of memory techniques and some of the information in another post of yours,

By adding the a layer of narrative I was able to use 3 layers in your system with the two layers of association and I hope to add more layers although I felt bad that I could not practice using the Memory Palace with those three layers,

I will share the results soon,

And,

Have a Good Day.

1 Like

Such is the same kind of problem with crossing letters in the mail isn’t it? I hadn’t realized you were reading and liking the posts in the system analysis topic without seeing any :+1: there. It always helps and encourages me.

I look forward to seeing if you have some improvement in your results.

1 Like

And @aicreator, I find I have to pay attention to all the details on this system which sometimes I ignore not having been in a forum before. Your reply was to @Niten. I think some of the features are very cool like seeing people currently writing replies like @GettingOld is right now.
@josh has a great system here. Sorry for thinking it was all about me being a fly. :grin:

1 Like

To be honest I think it is not possible to retain anything except traumatic experiences in the brain without reviewing them once in a while. Like the saying goes use it or lose it. I think as long as you use the stored info once in a while you maybe get away without reviewing it. However if you make a super vivid story in your head and never review it or use it for a long time I think it will be gone. If you look at people that where fluent in a language once and after not speaking it for many years struggle to speak it I think it is a risky strategy. I would always make sure to review the info I spend so much time on to get in my head so it stays there. Reviewing is not a big problem we have so much “dead time” in our lives. I review a lot of stuff this way and it is not a problem. It is perfect for those boring meetings at work :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t believe that a thing that memorized without reviews can save lifelong. I believe our brain throws unnecessary items when time passes. To opposite, mental trauma is badly hurt to patients. I believe it is because his or her brain can’t escape from the memory. Which is also a unintentional revision.

2 Likes

Yes, please

1 Like

I have edited Ron White’s Method and in the edited method

1. I visualize Memory Palace with 4 circular bushes with a hole in their center with an object in them according to their number
    Ex- The first bush will contain the number shape of 1(Since I use the Shaper System) and the second image will contain the number shape of 2 and the third image the number shape of 3 and so on,

However if anybody else uses this method he should use his own images.

1. I place the image of the key ideas in a page by placing them in one bush after the other and make them permanant untill you have placed all of the key ideas which you have read.

2. I view the memory palace as if I am looking at it as if it is in paper(Drawn or Printed).

Since the Human Brain is designed to remmeber layouts.

Summary

Here Bushes are like place containers and their respective number shapes are placed in them according to their number and when objects are placed in them and interact with those number shape objects they are viewed like they are being seen on a paper(Like a floor plan which is also something that our brain remmebers)!,

And,

Have a Great Day.

1 Like

This method has 75% accuracy when remembering the parts of 4 key points which I consider relevant,

Which excludes examples and the text that does contain ideas*(Ideas are read instead of words in Speed Reading)*,

I can not say about the learning speed of this method because I will forget without revision and I do not know how to revise my memory Palaces effictively,

I will experiment using it with the Parallel Memory Palace Method and also using flow charts and diagrams in the walls of my Memory Palace,

I have noticed that when I use blocky characters I can place logos of objects in their heads,backs,hands and legs with the only difference being that those objects look printed and with this I am able to remeber about 7 items which is the capacity of my working memory with one object image contaning the logos of multiple object images and my memory of the objects in those people or characters are futher improved when I walk around them to locate the logos of objects using my spatial memory and I will need to find seperators for for this like the seperators of of Memory Palce are rooms so that they can be learnt about 7 objects at a time which is the capacity of working memory and those blocky characters are exactly like the characters in Minecraft,With the difference in their storage capacity being in the number of sides which they have and I think that if two object’s shape and texture are combined and then put into a blocky human character like in Minecraft(Then 10 logos’ shape can be stored into 1 object+ 10 logo’s texture can be stored in 1 object+ the object of a Minecraftian Blocky human itself
which can mean a lot of storage capacity)

I have thought of another way to increase its capacity but now I will need some seperators in order to make it easier to learn from that image which can store upto 22 images,

I think that more people would be good at them memory palace if it had more seperators,Currently I think that the only seperator it has is rooms and if the number of seperators in a memory Palace other than rooms is increased then it will be much better,

Maybe seperators can be called dividors which divide the number of information which you have to learn(ex-rooms in a memory palace)

And,

Cheers.

I partly agree with your statement. I think a memorized piece of information becomes more or less permanent in your mind if it’s connected to a lot of other memories. For example, I think an educated adult will probably never forget their name or the alphabet for as long as they live.

That being said, the only way that I know of that you can gain such permanence is through experience and/or advancing to higher levels of a subject. One thing I’ve noticed is that if you willingly push yourself to learn more and more about a subject, the lower-level skills that make up that subject become more or less a part of your permanent part of your memory.

1 Like

I had heard that we never forget our first accident and maybe it is because we remember it so vividly,

I believe that every second a large amount of the information which we experience goes to short term memory,A lesser amount of that information goes to our Long Term Memory with even lesser information going into my or ours Permanant Memory,

And I still think how vivid an information should be in order for it to go into our permanant memory if I get the answer to that question then I can try make my images that vivid over time,

I think that we need to remeber an information for 30 seconds for it to go into our long term memory,Maybe that number will be reduced if our Hippocampus will find that information novel to 15 seconds however out of that 15 seconds 5 seconds are secured since it is not possible to forget a name within 5 seconds as said by @RonWhiteMemoryGuy if only that difference is lessened then maybe all information will go to long term memory if it is not possible to forger a name which is a chunk and I hope that this may be true for all chunks and I had read memory palace is a container which keeps information information in our short term memory or working memory for long enough for it to be transferred into long term memory and I suspect that vivid enough images makes them stay in our short term or long term memories longer along with the info which they contain which may cause them to become long term memories but I hope that making vivid enough images may not be the only way to send information into permanant memory which I believe to be true,

Maybe vivid enough images which produce powerful enough emotions cause them to be reviewed multiple times which may help them to go into our permanant memory.

And,

Cheers.

Say I want to permanently remember 459453633 which is an SSN number.

In my palace I would permanently have Sorceress(45) at bathroom sink 1, Lance Armstrong(94) at bathroom sink 2, Joker(53) at bidet, Darth Vader(63) at the window, and Trinity(3) in the jacuzzi.

Then I use the palace for my temporary information. Say I want to remember:
153 435 342
694 124 905

So I at the first loci I would place the images on the sorceress/have them infused with lightning.

Clover(153), Vest(435), Cards(342).
Sorceress is holding the clover up, but she doesn’t need luck she has bulletproof vest.
The cards are being flicked at Lance.

Jive(694), Loofah(124), Nos(905)
Lance doing the jive and using loofah on nos bottle. Nos is spraying the Joker.

and so on…

I think it’s like katiek’s method + the persons in the loci store permanent info.

3 Likes

Ah I get it, thanks for elaborating!

1 Like