How much more efficient can/have memory techniques make/made you?

Hi! I’m still a novice at memory techniques but I think it’s very exciting because of all its potential uses. I have a question to ask my fellow memory athletes. How much more efficient at memorization can you become using mnemonics? How much more efficient at memorization have you become? Do you have any particular example? It would be great if we could start a discussion.
Thank you for your time! :slight_smile:

If you wanted a quote for the maximum efficiency you can achieve with memory techniques it would be near or photographic. That is very difficult however and the current heights give you a better idea if you look at the world records. Besides that in my case , on one of my exams I ended up taking my entire book for the subject and memorizing it point for point. It took me about 13 hours for 300 pages (I was not too fast) but it was not too bad either. 1 year later when my class had a simple session to review last years content, it seemed I still remembered a bunch from my cramming session. That may or may not be impressive given the subject is Physics and given I already understood but did not remember the information. I am certain now I could do it in half the time I took and shorter if I sacrifice understanding. In my opinion however you remember that there are many ways to use the memory techniques. At some point someone may suggest a reverse peg for reading text in images and placing them in loci as oppose to sound, keeping your mind open to experimentation and doing so early will get you pretty quickly set to using techniques.

1 Like

Wow. @Nagime. I’m trying to memorise 500 page content and I have 15 days. Can I do it? While applying memory places, I often think that what if memorising the “normal way “ is more efficient ? Because The information is not abstract/ tough, but the issue is there are abt 500 600 topics and in exam it could be difficult to blurt out points in 5 minutes. I have never memorised so much information. Can I do it? How much time it would take

Sample

You can indeed do it.

There are many people who have done this in 30 days, and you have half the time. So all you would need to do is work at least double as long as the people who have had to do this or double as efficient.

Learning in a different way comes with different complications.

Using the memory palace, you often remember information for much longer. However, when you forget bits and pieces you almost never forget everything. This will lead to you being in an exam, having to traverse your memory palace and think ‘what was that thing again’ until you finally get an answer.

Under exam pressure this sort of thing is likely to cause you to perform badly. In reality however it is simply that you would have forgotten part of the information but remembered enough to reconstruct it, so my advise to deal with something like this is to review more and apply spaced repetition more.

In the case of the normal way, when you forget something it is very difficult to retrieve or reconstruct it at all, so you are more likely to review again.

Therefore, my second advice is to use a stopwatch periodically, so that you are aware of how long you are spending in different places.

Again you can do it, I would strongly advise you to split up your workload into a minimum amount that you need to do each day.
For example if you did 34 pages each day, in 15 days you could have completed : 510 pages.

The reason I advise this is so that you know what your minimum is and because it is often stressful particularly if this is your first time, to work on such a high load. More often than not it becomes a more crucial part of motivation than of your ability to do the task.

As for how long it would take you, this is dependent on you of course. It’s for example still possible to do 500 pages in a day. This however is your first time so it is unlikely that you would be able to do this. You should take a stopwatch and time yourself to see how long it takes you with various methods. You should also assume that because of reviewing and any possible distractions that it will take you at-least longer than your testing time.

2 Likes

Thanks @Nagime!

1 Like