How I memorized 666 digits of Pi. TWICE!

pi

(Andreas) #1

Round 1, fight!
Yes, I am currently at 666 digits of pi, and yes it’s also my second run.
The title is a little misleading since I only got to 546 digits the first time. :wink:
I started out by using my home as a memory palace, where i have 26 loci,
and ended up adding 65 loci on a journey outside to a total of 91 loci atm.
I use the major system in Swedish and have a 00-99 image system (100 images)
I memorized the pi digits in groups of 3 images, i.e 6 digits on each loci.
This resulted in having to recall them in pairs like 3. 14 15 92 (fourteen fifteen ninety two etc)
and I didn’t like the flow of that. (Yes i’m a total perfectionist with stupid details)
I wish I could’ve decided to change my method BEFORE i got to spot 91! :roll_eyes:

Round 2, fight!
So at 546 digits of pi I decided to completely start over with a 3-digit image system.
That way I can memorize a lot more by doing 9 digits per loci and also recall them in a nice flow like (3.) 141 592 653, so it actually sounds like counting numbers. I got the idea from Jonas von Essen, who also was kind enough to put up with all my questions.
But a 3-digit system requires 1000 images, so I decided to make them up as I went along and add them to Anki. So I started at the first loci with 141 592 653 and added Laban the friendy ghost jumping out of a cake, wearing a helmet. :smile:
I’m currently at spot 74 and 666 digits of pi. I will keep going to 91 and then we’ll see if I will create more places.
It’s a great way to add 3-digit images and still have fun, and I do want the complete 000-999 system at some point so I can step up my Memory League game!
I’m currently at 335/1000 images so I will probably have to start adding them manually, like 10-20 per day.
Anyhow, I hope I didn’t bore you to death if you’re still reading…
I’m hoping to end this round with:
"Pappamea wins. Flawless victory."
/Amea :v:

(Andreas) #2

One day before Pi Day, and I’m officially passed 800 digits! :star_struck: :raised_hands:
Time to record a video proving it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well done! I see that, today, someone has calculated Pi to a new world record of 31 trillion digits.

I’ve never got beyond about 200 when trying to commit them to memory.

Apparently, it would take 332,064 years just to call out the numbers, so I’m guessing no one will be attempting to memorise all of them any time soon. :slight_smile:

Haha. You know, a year and half ago, when I tried to memorise pi, I thought the highest would be in the mid 1000s like 6000 at the most. I mean, how could one person memorise completely random numbers? I tried to use rote and, by surprise, I memorised 350 digits. I thought I couldn’t go any further because it was too much to keep track of in a single trial. I didn’t know how people could memorise over 10,000 digits when they’re so many digits to remember. I thought they were mathematic savants or synesthetes.

Fast forward to today, I know now the method. It took me over a year and half to just realise how they did it. When I watched videos back in the day how to memorise pi, they just told me to chunk them up and remember them. I hadn’t had any method saying to use association or the mind palace. But, now I do. Now, I can remember hundreds of pi digits using this splendid technique of the method of loci and I’m grateful for this forum for how much they’ve helped me throughout this adventure of mine.

After I create several palaces with a fairly decent amount of loci in them, I can finally memorise hundreds of digits of pi—forwards and backwards! And it’s not just for pi, I could memorise basically anything that I’d like!

(Andreas) #5

Oh dear, not to mention the time it would take to LEARN! :slight_smile:

I know, right? It’s awesome!

(Andreas) #6

I ended up recording a video of me breaking my old speed Pi record.
I recalled 186 digits in one minute! (In swedish)
:v:

KnighT_IntellecT

After I create several palaces with a fairly decent amount of loci in them, I can finally memorise hundreds of digits of pi—forwards and backwards! And it’s not just for pi, I could memorise basically anything that I’d like!

Great stuff. Well done!

Wow. Amazing. Again, well done!

(Andreas) #8

Thanks!

But just imagine… once you get to 31 trillion digits you can just start making up any digits you want and nobody would know. :wink:

(Andreas) #10

Haha true!