How has memorizing techniques helped you in school

Hi there, I’m new here and I’ve been a bit curious about memorization techniques and skills. One thing I want to ask is how has learning memorization techniques(Loci, Link and Story, etc) helped you in school and has it made your learning easier? Whether it be for a test, writing an essay or report, or for a PhD, etc. I’m curious to know your experience

2 Likes

Years ago I taught the methods to my cousin. She was struggling with Math and Science. I created a textbook study method. She said it was easier to read textbooks and was like having a cheat sheet in her mind. Her grades improved dramatically.

4 Likes

I am a mathematics student, and I use mnemonic techniques to remember theorems/lemmas/strategies/etc. For me it has been useful for day to day studies, for example if I need a quick refresh on the material when sitting down to study, I can mentally “scan” the most recent memorized material to get in the right mental space.

1 Like

I am a 13 year old ninth grader and I use it for school The buildings have about 200 rooms each and I use them for different topics one building for history and one building for physics and mathematics and one building for biology and chemistry. For example, there was a lecture the other day about Thomas Jefferson and the 1800 election. The information was that in the 1800 US election there was a tie between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr. The House of Representatives had to vote and on the 36th vote Thomas Jefferson was confirmed as President. In 1801 as Jefferson was entering office John Adams was stacking the court appointing people without the proper paperwork. This lead to Marbury vs Madison who determined that they could not confirm the judges because it would be unconstitutional. Burr being second in the election became vice president (that was how it worked at the time). But they didn’t get along very well Jefferson was anti federalist while Burr was federalist. So after the presidency they decided that the person who was second in the presidential race would no longer be vice president.

Visualization

I choose a room and put Jefferson above the door of the room. Then to signify that he is an antifederalist I put on the door Roger Federer (tennis player) with a big X over the image. Inside by the wall is candy falling from the sky and landing onto Samuel Sevian (chess player) which is my number system for 1800 and he is standing next to a ballot box. This shows 1800 election. Next to this I picture Jefferson covered in burrs (things that stick to your clothing) to remind me that they were tied. Then I picture a Judge putting ballot in a ballot box in a court room to represent the House of Representatives voting and a young Magnus Carlsen sitting at the back of the court room to signify the 36th vote. Then at the front of the room (not the court room). There is Jefferson holding a trophy and walking toward a mini white house to signify that he won the election. On the front steps of the mini white house is John Adams speed stacking cups with little gavels drawn on them to remind me that he attempted to stack the court. Next to this is an old Lady with a t-shirt that has blueberries on it to remind me of Marbury (Ma-berry) and she is raising her cane at Madison (a former classmate). Then on the furthermost wall there is a podium with a circle around the number 2 spot and an arrow that leads to Vice president Aaron Burr all with a big X over to signify that 2 place in the presidential race would no longer be vice president.

Review your images an hour afterwards then a day, then a week after and it will be a permanent part of your long term memory

4 Likes

If you ever want to describe those in more detail in a forum post, I’m sure people would be interested. :slight_smile:

Are they the buildings in your school or other buildings that you use for memory palaces?

2 Likes

An imaginary building structured in a way I feel is comfortable for the topic

1 Like

Lol, i can but I warn you its a bit long. I think I can condense it though.

2 Likes

Share it please…

1 Like

People here will read it even if it’s long. The more detail, the better. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To be honest, sometimes I skimmed. :joy:

Bet, I will do it tomorrow. Should I just post it here? Or is there a more appropriate place?

1 Like

You could start a new topic. That way it will be easier to find.

Memorization techniques helped me a lot in storing the information. But that’s just that - you have a ton of information at your disposal. I think that you shouldn’t focus so much on that (unless memorization is your goal). I find it better to understand the material I’m reading and when I have a good grasp on it and I can say it in my own words (Feymann technique), that’s when I would chunk the information and convert it to an image and finally store it in my palace.

1 Like

Unfortunately I didn’t knew about memory techniques until I gratuated (2 years ago). I just want to tell you that it they have helped me a lot in work and in my personal life. I memorize work related things more easily and I can remember specific things that friends or family tell me, that last thing somehow brings you closer to your friends, it makes them feel like you pay attention to them down to the detail.

1 Like

I find that to be true too, but for some people I’ve heard that they find that quite disconcerting. Whenever I see a video with a memory athlete present, I almost always see some comment about people saying they don’t want to be around them because they’re afraid they’ll memorize every aspect of their life and use it against them. While I’m sure that some of this was tongue in cheek, I find that there are some people who really think like that, unfortunately.