How do I learn English Grammar effectively and what method works the best?

I am taking preparation for a university admission exam. :raising_hand_woman:
It requires me to study Grammer rules like Preposition, Tense, Right forms of the verb, voice, Narration, and everything else that the TOEFL exam requires.

There are other items like Preposition, Analogy, Spelling,, etc. English is not my native language so naturally, I do not excel at its grammar.

I’ve read about cool methods like PAO, Memory Palace, Word Association etc but I can not figure out a way on how to implement these methods into my English grammar learning.

So I am looking for some help from this amazing community!
Thanks in advance. :grinning:

1 Like

What have you tried?
Because, only with the method of loci (Memory Palace). Consider how you maybe limiting yourself. What are your weaknesses and if you’re doing the whole process involving good associations between image-ideas and locations.

Can you help me with how I implement Loci in learning English grammar?

It’s not like I need to learn the grammar in an ordered way. Or maybe I am missing something here?

I am kinda new (2 weeks) in memory techniques

The first problem is to give substance to abstract ideas like a set of rules. Decide on images to represent the major elements of the system.

Here is an example where I tackled software syntax.
https://forum.artofmemory.com/t/miniature-memory-palaces-including-your-palm/28864/136?u=zvuv

That thread is particularly rich in ideas and is worth reading in its entirety

2 Likes

This is a goldmine! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Your grammar as written here is in fact very good! But of course, maybe you have specific difficult requirements for the exam that you would like to master.

I would suggest that the following two methods are more effective for learning grammar in a language:

• finding patterns in the data you have to memorize
  • using spaced repetition software (such as Anki or Mnemosyne) to efficiently memorize data such as vocabulary (prepositions) and other grammar rules

When I learn new languages, I try to use the grammar and vocabulary in context when I learn it. For example in Portuguese, I don’t learn that “when you want to use the future tense you conjugate and put the infinitive after it”. Instead, I learn that “I’m going to eat” is “vou comer”. The concrete example sticks better than an abstract rule.

3 Likes

Somehow this thread got bumped, so here my two cents in case it’s still relevant and you haven’t taken the test yet.

If it’s just the TOEFL that you’re prepping for, you should probably start here and have a look at the four sections of the test: TOEFL iBT Practice Tests (For Test Takers)

The test itself doesn’t have a grammar section as such, so there isn’t much of a point in learning any grammar by itself out of context. My advice: take one of their free practice tests (link above) and see where you still need to improve, put some focus on that for a couple of days, and then take another practice test.

You’re not trying to learn better English here, you’re trying to get the required score on a test. Do you know your current score and the minimum score required by the school?

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions @bjoern.gumboldt