How do I learn English Grammar effectively and what method works the best?

I am taking preparation for a university admission exam. :raising_hand_woman:
It requires me to study Grammer rules like Preposition, Tense, Right forms of the verb, voice, Narration, and everything else that the TOEFL exam requires.

There are other items like Preposition, Analogy, Spelling,, etc. English is not my native language so naturally, I do not excel at its grammar.

I’ve read about cool methods like PAO, Memory Palace, Word Association etc but I can not figure out a way on how to implement these methods into my English grammar learning.

So I am looking for some help from this amazing community!
Thanks in advance. :grinning:

What have you tried?
Because, only with the method of loci (Memory Palace). Consider how you maybe limiting yourself. What are your weaknesses and if you’re doing the whole process involving good associations between image-ideas and locations.

Can you help me with how I implement Loci in learning English grammar?

It’s not like I need to learn the grammar in an ordered way. Or maybe I am missing something here?

I am kinda new (2 weeks) in memory techniques

The first problem is to give substance to abstract ideas like a set of rules. Decide on images to represent the major elements of the system.

Here is an example where I tackled software syntax.
https://forum.artofmemory.com/t/miniature-memory-palaces-including-your-palm/28864/136?u=zvuv

That thread is particularly rich in ideas and is worth reading in its entirety

1 Like

This is a goldmine! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Your grammar as written here is in fact very good! But of course, maybe you have specific difficult requirements for the exam that you would like to master.

I would suggest that the following two methods are more effective for learning grammar in a language:

• finding patterns in the data you have to memorize
  • using spaced repetition software (such as Anki or Mnemosyne) to efficiently memorize data such as vocabulary (prepositions) and other grammar rules

When I learn new languages, I try to use the grammar and vocabulary in context when I learn it. For example in Portuguese, I don’t learn that “when you want to use the future tense you conjugate and put the infinitive after it”. Instead, I learn that “I’m going to eat” is “vou comer”. The concrete example sticks better than an abstract rule.

1 Like

No, I can’t. I can aid you with memorization techniques and how to apply them. I can give you advice on how to organize yourself as much as you give me what’s what you need to learn with specifics. If you’re studying from a website or book, as of how to memorize that I could aid you. I’m not going to teach you English, tho. :sweat_smile:

Yeah. Do you have figured how to memorize anything? at least text and words for that matter? Make sure you’re able to convert words into images, sentences into images. For these tasks you don’t need to learn number systems. What I’d need you to know is how to memorize with the method of loci, nothing else.

Then whatever I can help you with, we’ll be, with what you’re learning: how to organize and may deconstruction for each topic.

Examples: the verb to have, relates to possession also experience (events) but it is also an auxiliar in which it changes meaning. You could take all the uses of the verb and examples and memorize that. If in the exam, the verb to have appears in a context you don’t recall, you recall all the uses and you deduce which fits… and so.

There are many, many, many ways for you to learn languages with mnemonics and to pass exams in that way. I have not constructed a shareable system for all language learning. But, learning or acquiring a language, if you have a resource that will both give you how and what to speak, it’s simple for you to dedicate your learning. Follow the book, and limit your mnemonic memorization for words, sentences and everything that could be confusing. A simpler to complex approach sounds better.

Again, I was a very noob boy, and end up learning English by simply interacting and passively learning, when I found words I didn’t know I went for Google Translator. I watched movies and videos with common language, I was doing repetition of words I didn’t understood and some words were simple to understand in context even when I actually couldn’t translate them to Spanish. Some phrases in English build on context and it furthers your learning of patterns in the language.

Things to consider: with the method of loci you can memorize to recall at will. To naturalize such long term memories, to your working or short memory, review in your mind as a rule of thump: 5 to 10. Some will say that you won’t be able to learn with the method of loci because it’s not practical to recall and it’s true… when talking you shouldn’t be reviewing or recalling from your palaces unless you have not spoken the language in a good time. The idea is for you to naturalize the language not on luck but at will by reviewing your mnemonically memorized words. However for the nature of usage, grammar and rules would be always recalled when you’re in doubt. Also, don’t memorize everything that is difficult. If you find a word hard to memorize and it is a not so used word keep your way with other topics. How many ridiculous words you ignore in your own language? Though, I guess your Aspergean or autistic tendencies of genius people would trigger and you would rather want to learn anyways.

Happy encoding!