How did you first fall in love with mnemonics?

What was the first thing you did with memory techniques that made you realize “Hey, there is really something to this!”

For me I think I read an article or something on memorizing the colors of a deck using a binary system. I spent maybe 5 minutes learning the binary system then put it to practice. I went through my first deck in about a minute and had perfect recall. I was like: “woah, I never would have known I could do this!”

what about you guys?

I really fell in love with mnemonics when I realized that I had a massive edge over my peers when it came to academics. I find it sincerely disheartening that more people don’t use memory techniques to enhance their lives. Literally, NO ONE I’ve introduced mnemonics to have used them. They all either think it’s beyond their abilities, it’s dumb, or I’m some autistic savant.

But enough of my ranting.

I fell in love with mnemonics when I found out that I can use the techniques to memorize all the details from books I want to remember and keep them as long as I want with feasable effort. It was actually a kind of salvation that gave me hope again.

I think it was because I was introduced to a lot of examples of them, like My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies, sorry, Nothing, as well as Roy G. Biv and Every Good Boy Does Fine. I thought it was cool for some reason.

A few years ago I had some issues with a memory loss. I couldn’t recall a lot of the past events with friends and family and I wanted to do something about it.

After spending some time on google and searching for information on memory, I bought my first book titled “How to develop a perfect memory” by Dominic O’Brien. I’d never heard of Dominic before up until that time, but after I studied and applied his methods I don’t think I can ever forget his name. He is also now one of my Memory Heros.

Since then I moved on and experimented with the Major System, and after awhile I tried to combine the two together, and also tried and experimented with some other systems to find out what system suited me the best. Now I use the number shape system from 00-99, and working on a few different methods to create a mini-palace on the fly for when I want to memorise a piece of data on the spot.

I use memory methods in my daily life with business and personal activities, and I also enjoy competing in the Memory league. Having a trained memory helps me to focus with almost everything, I can now recall a lot of my past which I think was the side effect of exercising my brain, and I am more aware and alert of what’s happening in my daily life which has become a second nature to me.

Didn’t happen like that to me at all, but that might have to do with from where you’re coming when getting introduced to it. If your expectations are that it’s more like astrology and less like astronomy then I can see someone going “Hey, there is really something to this”.

For me it was more like going from walking to riding a bike to driving a car. You know each will get you there faster; but that doesn’t come as a surprise. Plus, it’s not like a magic pill… you yourself actually have to put effort into it… just like learning the alphabet to be able to read and write.

Maybe that’s also something different. I never considered people without the same skill set peers, so I only compared my performance to people I met at competitions. To go with the above image, of course I’m faster on my bike than people that don’t have one and have to walk. However, that does not mean you’ll win the Tour de France any time soon.

I actually ended up writing an app that is a tutorial to teach calendar calculation (weekday for a date) because a lot of people do see it like a magic trick or they…

It’s unfortunate that not even the basics are taught in school, which in turn would make the whole thing more mainstream (less of a magic show). It wouldn’t even matter if the teachers did a good job at it or not… just like with foreign langue classes, not everyone will come out speaking on a native level, but they’ll know the basics at least.

(Werner Peters) #7

I read Harry Lorayne’s book at age 19, in Thompson, Manitoba. I applied it for a few days, and I am now 68, and still remember a name I memorized back then, of a Mr Hingecliff.
I just recently reread Lorayne, and decided that I am going to reverse the trend of old-age forgetfulness, and will memorize things that are important to me. I now have the topics of the first 55 chapters of the Bible memorized.

Had I learned mnemonics and applied them in my Jr High and High school days, my life would probably have taken a much different direction.

Thanks for sharing! I had a similar realization but for me it was image linking from a Mattias Ribbing book ( First Steps to a Complete Master Memory ) .

I made a linked image with a tutorial about React JS and it just stuck.

After doing a couple exercises, I was so excited to make my own linked images and memorize outlines of subjects that I was interested in… It was kind of a way to commit to learn something, up to the point where I could decide I enjoyed it ( without spending too much time ) . It is such a sense of wonder, for lack of a better word.

I understand that feeling. I think it has a lot to do with how much work goes into it. I’ve had people very interested when they think its a simple magic trick or something. Once I explain how to develop a PAO system or build mind palaces they quickly lose interest. I am not sure why, yeah its a lot of work up front, but its better to keep items in memory longer than lose them after a week or repeatedly study them.

This is a great use! It is something I am currently working on. There are so many good books out there I don’t want to read the same ones over and over again just to remember the exceptional details.

I also loved these in school. Unfortunately this was the extent of mnemonics training I was ever given in the public school system. Other than rote memorization.

You have a great story! I am very glad Mnemonics has benefited you like it has. I find it very interesting that it has improved your natural ability to remember events as opposed to using memory techniques. That is incredible.

Originally, that is almost what I thought of mnemonics when I first heard about it. Some sort of self help, pseudoscience. Boy was I wrong!

This is a great project! I also want to memorize an outline of the Old and New Testament. Should help me find verses immediately. Of course I want to memorize particular verses as well.

I agree! Mnemonics has given me more initiative to learn about the things I am interested in because I know I will have fun and will actually remember it.

Hmmm…where do I start?

Harry Lorayne and Jerry Lucas’s book, The Memory Book. It was given to me as a gift from my Dad. His link method blew me away! I couldn’t believe how quickly a list could be memorized. The only issue is they don’t teach the journey or mem palace method in the book. After that, I started to read Moonwalking with Einstein and fell in love with the way Ed Cooke described the palace method. Also, watch Nelson Dellis on YouTube for inspiration.

Recieved straight A’s in college using techniques I learned.

I used to watch Derren Brown on t.v. and I was amazed by all these psychological things he was doing. Then I watched his live show and bought his book. In one of his books was a basic guide to mnemonics… But what I like about Mnemonics is for me it lead to so many other things like psychology and people like Dominic O’Brien (The Dominic System has always been my favourite) and it lead me to people with amazing card skills like Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Bill Malone and Richard Turner (who is blind) These guys do not do mnemonics but their card handling skills are incredible.

(Werner Peters) #12

When you get started on memorizing a Bible Outline, please share your progress. Perhaps if your mnemonics are not personalized, you can share them. Right now i cannot share what i am doing because the loci and the associations would not make a lot of sense to anyone else.

(Andreas) #13

I read Jonas von Essens’s book and learned every Oscar winner for best film since 2000 on the first try, as an excercise. Also every South American country. (Still can!)

When I also flew pass my old record of 60 digits of Pi without cramming and realized that I actually could remember them longer than 5 minutes, that’s when I was hooked!

If anybody is interested…

(Andreas) #15

Ok that’s a little more impressive! :slight_smile:
I might actually do that.

Might wanna look into this one too… I think it makes better use of what’s possible with videos. What Jonas did could easily be audio only…

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #17

I memorized about a dozen US Supreme Court precedents in preparation for an American Government class test. I don’t remember most of them now, but there were some fun ones like Nyx (from Past Sins) pouncing on William Shakespeare, who has cocaine packets falling out of his pockets to remember Nix v Williams (or something like that) where it was established that you don’t need a warrant for evidence inadvertantly obtained during the course of an otherwise legal search. I think the legal term is reasonable discovery or something?

(Andreas) #18

I can at least recall every Oscar winner for Best Picture from 1981-2018. :slight_smile:
(1981 is my birth year.)

(Zen) #19

I got into this through doing magic. Iv always done pseudo memory tricks where I pretend to memorise a pack of cards. I came across a trick where u actually remember the first 12 cards in binary black/red then the rest of the deck was again pseudo and no memorisation was used. This got me thinking… What if I could actually memorise the whole deck in binery, I did a Google search and it led me to this forum. Since then I’m kind of addicted trying to memorise anything and everything.