Help with studing for a Professional IT certification Exam

Hello, so I’m studying for an IT Professional Exam called Docker Certified Associate. I have failed the exam once and I’m going to re-take soon.

I new to all of this and was wondering what resources should I use to try to help me memorize for this exam. I’ve printed off the Learn the Art of Mastery, however all of this is new to me.

Basically the exam is multiple exam questions on theory or command line examples.

thanks

2 Likes

Hi Victor,

If you are new to memorising, there is a “Resources” page button on the menu, it has all the info for the beginners.

The basic idea of memorising any kind of data is to convert each information into a tangible image, and then attach that image to a location that you already know. When you need to recall the data back again, you simply search in your mind’s eye for that location because it was where you stored it, and it will just appear there.

Example;
Let’s imagine that

• you’ve just walked into your house,
  • and took your coat off,
  • and hanged it on to the coat-hanger next to the front door.

If you were to later on asked by someone where your coat is, you can immediately answer that it is on the Coat-Hanger next to the Front-Door.

• You first had the Location that you already know, which was the Coat-Hanger next to the Front Door,
  • You then had the Data to memorise which was your Coat,
  • and attached the data to the coat hanger which is the Link-Action
  • And were able to Recall the data because you visited the location in your mind where it was stored.

This basic example is how any kind of data can be memorised with your study towards your exam. So the basic idea is to create a Memory Palace based on what you intend to do, and then use that palace to store the information you need to memorise.

There are also some other good posts about this on the forum, so a quick search might also be useful.

Also, let me mention that I think the best person to get some tips for studying and exams is @SilvioB . He has really well working method for studying. He is a forum member, so he may reply here, but I’d rather see him creating a detailed posts about this as he is very experienced and would be good to pick up a few tips :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Victor,
Not long ago, I completed a college prep course for taking a Microsoft Server 2012 Certification Exam. The one thing that helped me the most was using a website called Quizlet (https://quizlet.com/latest). You can use this site to set up your own flashcards for testing yourself. More important, though, is you have access to everyone else’s set of flashcards. So, what I did was search for a chapter review question and this would bring up multiple sets of flashcards, which I could, then, practice with. Joining Quizlet was cheap (less than $15) and it was the major reason that I did well in the class.

I might make a post (if I get the time) with a detailed overview of the methods I use, but it’ll probably be quite law school specific.

I’m sure there are more experienced people here on the forum who could help better than I :slight_smile:

@v1ct0r If there is any specific information you’d like to memorize, you could make some examples so we get a clear idea of what type of information it is (since I for example, have no idea what the Docker Certified Associate exam contains). I’d be happy to let you know how I’d memorize the specific examples you give :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Victor, I took many various (though finance related) exams over the years. The best method for me is to find the course with the most amount of practice questions. CFA level 1 study course had over 4K questions when I studied, for example. This method never ever failed me, I passed every test on the first try:

1. Answer all the questions (usually they are broken up by subject - 100-300Q per subject) and read explanations very carefully. Don’t bother open the books and read the material at this stage - otherwise you will be spending time reading the parts that you understand easy and skip the once that are difficult for you.
  2. Keep retaking the incorrect/missed questions until you get all of them right.
  3. Once you finish the first run of all questions, reset the history to -0- and start from the beginning.
  4. If you still are making errors - open the text book and study explanations and examples only related to the question where you are making errors, until you figure out why you keep making mistakes.
  5. Keep answering the questions that you missed or made an error.

I never failed using this method. I made a career out of taking various exams. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it already, there is a study guide here:
https://success.docker.com/certification

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions.

First off, my short term and/or working memory isn’t that great. I’ve taken the Woodcock-Johnson exam and that was one of the results from it, if that exam has any weight. However I know that this is something that I can fix, if I have the right tools. Thats why I’m here at this website.

I’ve looked into the Resources part of this website, however its probably going to take some time to change from rote review and rote memory to learning a new way.

SilvioB, there are six domains for this Docker exam that I’m trying to pass. Here are some example questions/answers. Yes I have the official study guide as well.

Question: State differences between running a Docker Container Vs running a Docker Service

Answer:

Containers

• Encapsulate an application or function
  • Run on a single host at a time
  • Require manual steps to expose functionality outside of the host system
  • Require more complex configuration to use multiple instances
  • not highly available
  • not easily scalable

Services

• encapsulate an application or fuction
  • can run on ‘1 to n’ nodes at any time
  • functionality is easily accessed using features like ‘routing mesh’ outside the worker nodes
  • multiple instances are set to launch in a single command
  • highly available cluster are available
  • easily scalable

Question: What is the command to install Docker Universal Control Plane (UCP) on a Docker Manager Node?

Answer: docker container run –rm -it –name ucp -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
docker/ucp:2.2.24 install –host-address --interactive

I’ve taken an “official course” however there are alot of holes with this course, thus the first failure, so I’ve had to do alot of research on my own to fill in the holes. I feel overwhelmed with all of the material that I’ve collected on my own to pass this exam.

Also, I don’t work with this technology currently at my current job, however I’m hoping that once I pass this exam, that it will open that door for me. Docker recommends that you have 6 months of experience in order to test successfully.

And I hope to learn different methods of learning, as I’ve spent over 1 year trying to study for this exam and feel stuck and frustrated.

So you basically need to learn two lists of things in order to answer this question. I would try to use a memory palace that has locations on two sides of the road. For the keywords for containers, you could use locations to the left side of the road, for services to the right side. All you need to do is turn the essential keywords into images and place them in your palace.

For this example:
“Containers” would be the first image you’d have to come up with a picture for. What comes to mind for you? For me personally, it would be a shipping container.
So location 1: a shipping container blocks your way, and indicates that the following locations contain the “container” related information. For the second location, you’ll have to come up with images for the key words “encapsulate” “application” and “function”. Use whatever reminds you of these. If you make these images represent these keywords permanently, you’ll soon have built up your “visual vocabulary” and you’ll be able to memorize these kinds of things faster (I assume “application” and “function” will appear a lot in these, right? So having a pre-made image for them will increase your efficiency).
So for me, location 2 would hold this image: a giant capsule contains an app (App Store icon) and a fox (= function).
Location 3: Someone is running on the head of a late show host (Stephen Colbert), another host (Jimmy Kimmel) is right next to him, but the one who’s running, can only run on a single host at a time.

Keep in mind that this will work best if you come up with images for yourself, since not everyone thinks of the same things when confronted with abstract words (for example “host” where I immediately thought of late show host. If you think of something else, use what came to mind first).

The hardest part is probably coming up with images for the most abstract words. But once you get used to learning this way, you’ll get better at coming up with images, too. If there’s a word you can’t think of an image for, you could just assign a random image to always represent it.

Keep in mind that you need to review all the information with spaced repetition even if you use memory palaces.

I hope my examples were useful to you. If anything is unclear, please ask. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the pointer.

What type of memory technique would you recommend for the 2nd sample question?

Question: What is the command to install Docker Universal Control Plane (UCP) on a Docker Manager Node?

Answer: docker container run --rm -it --name ucp -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock docker/ucp:2.2.24 install --host-address --interactive

2 Likes

It might be easier to remember commands like that if you visually chunk them like in the docs:

docker container run --rm -it --name ucp \
    -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
    docker/ucp:3.2.3 install \
    --host-address <node-ip-address> \
    --interactive

Then you can see that there are five parts, and the first two are common Docker patterns.

You could then put those five items in a memory journey or peg list using mnemonics. If it’s multiple choice, then you probably wouldn’t have to remember every character (like 3.2.3) but just be able to recognize which of the choices is correct.

(I edited the formatting of your post so that it’s easier to read and the double dashes show up.)

1 Like

I don’t know anything about this topic. But if I had to memorize it (without any understanding), I’d use a memory palace/journey and turn every part into an image. Especially every recurring part would get a set image forever.

1 Like