Help with a professional exams

Hello guys,
I’m preparing for an exam. A lot of the things I have to memorize are like ‘factors to consider when doing xyz’- they are then listed in bullets and explained.
Also I’m are required to memorize and know hazards/risks associated with an activity and the control meaures to prevent injury…
For example:
1)what are the factors to consider when setting up a scaffold
2) what are the hazards posed to a worker working at height and the control measures to prevent the occurrence of an incident.

Pls this is just a simple example of the nature of things I need to know… It’s a lot( a lot of activities , risk/hazards and control measures one needs to know off head)
Can anyone kindly help out with a strategy to memorize these… I would be grateful…

(Silvio B.) #2

I would use memory palaces/journeys (rather many small journeys for the different subjects you have to learn, not one big “memory palace” for everything).
If you’re not already familiar with it, you can take a look at this:
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Method_of_Loci

You can take a place you’re familiar with, for example your house or a workplace.

For your specific example I’d memorize it like this:
1). I’d imagine in my minds eye a construction site (one I’ve actually walked through), where a worker is setting up a scaffold right as I arrive. Then I move on along a way that makes sense through the site, placing the factors that need to be considered on locations on that way. (I don’t know anything about the factors to consider so I can’t make an example what images I would use to represent them).

2). Again, a memory journey: You could just visualize these things happening to the worker along a way. So for example, he starts working at a high place and slips on a fragile part of the roof, he continues working but the weather conditions get worse, it’s windy, he falls off. He’s injured but he gets back up and continues. All the bad things that CAN happen, DO happen to the worker on that journey. On another journey, I’d imagine another worker: On his way, there will be all control measures (convert them into images). He proceeds working with no incident.

The memory journey is most useful to memorize information with a specific order. For example, you could memorize the biggest hazard at the first place of the way, the smallest at the last place. The most important control measure first, the least important last, etc.

Once you get used to memory journeys, it’s actually very easy to use them. You get better at coming up with images for abstract words with practice, too. If you want to keep the information for a long time in your memory, you shouldn’t reuse a journey for other information. For example: When I memorize a law on a certain journey, that journey will always be used for that law only. Nothing else.

Also spaced repetition is very important if you want to learn something for long term:
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Spaced_Repetition_and_Recall

Let me know if you have any questions or if my explanation was unclear :slight_smile:

Thank you very much Silvio… Your suggestions makes sense.
Considering that i have to know a lot of activities, their hazards and control measures, it would require a lot of memory palaces, and I’m not very familiar with memory palaces yet.

What @SilvioB describes is pretty much the faster and easiest way of doing this. You could optimize a little by grouping or clustering activities and control measures, but I think it’s important when he says:

…so don’t place them just on random journeys but get the association and also make sure that you are familiar with it (“actually walked through”). That said, here’s a journey you could practice with as far as creating a memory palace… you should be able to get some 20 locations on this route: