Help memorize 300 page procedures

(Jay) #1

Hello all, thank you in advance for any help, and this site has already been a wonderful resource for me, however I am a little stuck on what to do with my situation.

I am a kinesiteic learner; and I need to learn approximately 300 pages of legal procedures for a chance of possible future promotions.

I know the test will be multiple choice, so there will be a lot of questions that have similar answers in which one word may be changed.

Any ideas?

(Silvio B.) #2

What kind of legal procedures do you need to learn?
Could you make an example with actual data from the pages you have to learn?

(Jay) #3

Work procedures both legal and administrative to be able to take on the role of supervisor.

Topics range from legal responsibility when an incident occurs
Who is notified, roles and specific tasks

Complaint processes and procedures when made aware

Injuries at work and other Human Resources roles

Workplace safety etc.

Basically I need to know the responsibilities of the individuals I would report to and who would report to me in different scenarios.

All answers to the test will be directly from a study package consisting of
Workplace governance
Polices, procedures and definitions

(Jay) #4

When I get home I will type out a page as an example

(Jay) #5

Here is an example of a page to memorize

Prior to making a decision to evacuate an area shall liaise with the appropriate agencies and consider
shelter in place
 potential for self-evacuation
 rational people doing irrational things

NOTE: If recommending shelter in place due to environmental dangers such as toxic fumes, shall advise people to remain in their homes or place of employment etc. until it is safe to go outside in compliance with the communication strategy.
the need for evacuation, including
 risks involved as a result of the incident
 the likely duration of the evacuation
 weather and geographical conditions which may spread or contain the danger
 population densities in the affected area
 possibility of panic by potential evacuees
 hospitals or nursing homes in the area
the area to be evacuated, including
 materials involved, wind direction, land features, etc.
 number of people to be evacuated
 special assistance required (e.g. for schools, hospitals, nursing homes)
 transportation requirement (e.g. public transit systems)
 other unique factors (e.g. police station, jails, subways)
5. Once the decision has been made to evacuate or shelter in place shall
 ensure a communication strategy is developed in accordance with the guidelines contained in the “Communication Strategy” section of Procedure 97-36 and communicated accordingly

NOTE: Responsibility for the communication strategy may be assigned to a representative of Public Information.
 assign a member to act as the Evacuation Officer, if necessary
 ensure the Evacuation Officer has taken the appropriate steps to identify all persons refusing to leave the evacuation area and has added the appropriate information to the original report
 ensure, if operational, that the PCC is notified and assistance requested as required
6. Prior to making a decision to terminate an evacuation or shelter in place shall liaise with the
appropriate agencies.
7. Upon making the decision to terminate an evacuation or shelter in place shall
 notify the Evacuation Officer and the PCC if operational
 ensure the information is communicated to the public and emergency responders Evacuation Officer
8. Upon becoming aware of any person refusing to leave the evacuation area shall ensure, when safe to do so, that …

This is an example of part of one procedure, and there are many differing procedures and roles for different people in each.

So how do I memore 300 pages of these types of things.

Note o don’t think I need to know th specific procedure number (although it may help)

(Silvio B.) #6

Are you familiar with the method of loci? If you’re not, this might help:
https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Method_of_Loci

I’d start with making a short journey for each procedure. For every key point of the procedure I’d have one location on the journey.

Also I’d try to come up with specific images or people which represent the words that are a bit more abstract (for example: I’d have a specific person to always represent the Evacuation Officer, for communication I’d imagine a person with a radio device). With these kinds of things it’s always best to use what comes to your mind first. The images don’t need to be perfect or represent the exact words, they should just remind you of the meaning.

If you practice coming up with images for abstract words, you’ll soon get quite fast with memorizing these kinds of procedures.

For the specific procedure number: You could just have the first location of the journey to always contain an item that represents the procedure number. If you don’t have a PA or PAO system, I’d recommend the major system (https://artofmemory.com/wiki/Major_System) because it doesn’t recquire a lot of practice to get used to it. So if you’re memorizing for example the procedure number 17, you can have a dog at the first location, which represents the number 17.

If there are procedures linked to each other, I’d just make a link from one journey to the other. I do this for laws that are connected, usually I have something like an iPad there which shows the other location on its screen.

It takes some practice in the beginning, but in the end it really pays off. Don’t forget to review the information with spaced repetition.

I hope this helps :slight_smile: If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

(Jay) #7

Thank you; I will look into see if this method will work for me.