Help me start this journey again

Hi there , first of all I want to apologize if I will make some mistakes with the language cause I’m from Italy …
Actually it will be great if someone can help me , I’m 23 yo student of engineering , years ago I discover memory techniques from an Italian book but I never continue learning them. I have familiarity with the concept of imagination and how this can help you remember sequences of words , I have familiarity with association numbers-words to build a file cabinet (translate) associating to a number one or more consonants even if at now I haven’t one and maybe I don’t know how to properly use it , I know what loci is , but I can’t know how to use it .
I wanna master my memory but I’m a little bit lost , where can I start again? I already read the introduction guide of this forum , can someone be so kind to light me a way to follow based of what I already know? Also in my home I have a book by Ramon Campayo “develop a prodigious mind” I think it’s called , I started reading it but seems like another introduction to memory techniques …what you think so? All I ask is some guidelines to be more confident in this journey .
Thanks

1 Like

Welcome!

I may be wrong, but I think it will be a challenge to find a memory guide that doesn’t provide instructions starting from the beginning. In my experience, that’s the approach most books take. I don’t think there are any series that move the reader from beginner to advanced. [EDIT: I suspect that’s because the techniques themselves don’t change. The memory techniques learned by many beginners are likely the same ones used by memory competitors; the competitors have simply put in many, many hours of practice and have likely refined those techniques based on what works best for them personally. And no amount of books, mentors, videos, etc. can do those two things for anyone.]

BUT…I think you can pick up a lot of what you’re looking for in parts of these books. I highly recommend Dominic O’Brien’s books, if you’re comfortable reading in English. There are also dozens of YouTube videos (again, in English, although you may be able to find Italian equivalents) that highlight more advanced techniques/approaches.

I think one thing that may really help you is to find something that you would like to memorize, a series of facts or a list of information that is long enough to challenge you but not so long that you get discouraged. Then, using what you know of memory techniques—and what you learn from the books and other resources you explore—just start. See what approaches work best for you and for the specific information you’re wanting to learn.

Of course, if I’ve misunderstood what you’re looking for, feel free to clarify.

Bob

2 Likes

I find confidence when I look at a memory of some fact or notation before I look at the physical page with the same information. I find that my memory improves as I use it. A small example, I make a list of food items to buy and I shop for all of the items before I look at the written list. You can use any mental method for personal use, and find confidence this way.

It is a pleasure to meet you.

1 Like

Hello Gioo! :smiley:

I’m don’t know specifically what you mean. Do you mean visualisation, or just the use of your imagination?

Do you mean something like the Major System?

Example: Say I want to remember the first few digits of pi: 3.14159 (just as a small example!)

I feel confident that I will remember that it is a single digit before the decimal point (".") so I don’t need to encode that into images, so I might do this:

The Major System uses:

1 = T/D, 3 = M, 4 = R, 5 = L, 9 = P/B

So:

314159 = MTRTLP

This could be:

MoToR TuLiP, My TuRTLe Pie, MaT RaT LiP

Or some other option, perhaps using D or B:

MaTuRe TuLiP

If I can clearly see it as a mature tulip, I can use one image for those six digits, but for me the two images of motor and tulip are clearer, so I would use those.

During recall, I would see those images, and reverse the process: motor tulip -> MTR TLP -> 314 159

It can also be used through phrases:

My true tulip angel!

M TR TLP NJL

3 14 159 265

That seems odd, as I think that how to use it is part of knowing what it is.

As each locus has a distinct image that remains always at that location/place, it can be combined with another image that is significant/informative to you. By combining the informative image with the locus image (by making the two interact in some way), your intention is that when you return to the distinct locus image, you ‘see’ and recall the informative image attached.

This ability to combine two images is, I think, one of the fundamental building blocks of a useful memory system.

It’s not just where you start, it’s where you want to go. What are your aims, your goals, for your memory? What would be most useful to achieve with your memory? Only then can techniques be suggested.

I don’t think I know that book, sorry.

Like anything, if you don’t understand the basics, you can’t reliably move to the advanced skills, as one is built on the other. What “basics” have you practiced so far?

People can best help you if they know what they’re helping you to do.

And welcome to the forum! :smiley:

1 Like