Help Me put some words in my palace

Hello Everyone,
I am new in memory Palace technique and Learning German. So I need some help in how you people fit some words in palace.
So, I am learning vocab alphabetically. I will mention my words in following sequence

Word | meaning | loci

abheben | Withdraw | Kitchen Stove.

Just want to know some basics as how you deal with words that don’t have resembling sound which are very tough to fit it if I break them into parts.

2 Likes

I’d create a mnemonic image based on the sounds: ab sounds kind of like “abs” (abdominal muscles), and Heben sounds kind of like “heaven”.

It might help to study the prefix ab-.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ab-#German

Separable verb prefix that indicates removal or quitting, off, away.

• ab- + fahren (“to drive”) → abfahren (“to depart, drive away”)
  • ab- + spülen (“to rinse, wash”) → abspülen (“to rinse off, wash off”)

Once “ab” has an associated meaning and image, it should make these words easier to learn.

You could also try grouping all the ab- words in one location of a memory palace/journey so that the location encodes the prefix.

3 Likes

Actually I forgot to mention its already in my “ab” Palace so that I don’t have to put Mnemonic image everywhere.

“Heaven” this is what I also thought But I had doubt in creating a story regarding Particularly fitting Heaven in my kitchen stove with its meaning Withdraw.

Btw thanks for the links I will go through them once

1 Like

Heaven reminds me of angels, not one angel but a lot.

So to me, it could be that angels are flying around in my kitchen, and when they see me, they quickly withdraw into my stove. I peek through one of the holes they crawled through and I get a look at heaven before they close the door.

4 Likes

Ok now I see like double linking Heben to Heaven
Then Heaven to angel
My Story
Angels wants (to take me away) from this world to (Heaven) but only if I sacrifice by burning my hand on the stove

I’d do it the other way around actually… the prefix ab- modifies heben and the words:

• abheben
  • aufheben
  • hervorheben

All of those (and more) are somehow related to the word heben, so personally I’d put them all into a “heben”-palace instead… this way related words are all in the same place.

I’d suggest using He-Man and changing his first name to Ben, so you can use He-Ben instead. The base meaning of “heben” in German is to lift. He-Ben lifts his sword in the air or whatever else requires He-Man-like muscles to lift.

Careful here… it means to withdraw in the context of a bank account. But to lift off when talking about planes, rockets, flies, etc… and even to pick up when used with a phone.

Withdraw can also be entziehen in the context of drugs and alcohol, etc. Also, if you pick up something of the ground it’s aufheben.

Lastly:
Er will Geld abheben.
Er hebt Geld ab.

The first one is “he wants to withdraw money” and the second is “he withdraws money”; however, in the second case the word is split and put at the end of the sentence… “Er abhebt Geld” does not exist in German… that’s not even something where you could say… but as long as people understand. So if you have an “ab-” palace how would you handle this case.

By the way, is there a reason that you are going in alphabetical order? How many words are you trying to learn?

3 Likes
  • I want to learn 2000 ( First Target ).
  • Alphabetical because it easy to revise without looking at my excel sheet and also nearby words act as hint if I forget some word and even it will help to avoid spelling mistake ( only after I master this technique ).
  • Also If I read / hear some word then I don’t have to travel whole Universe to look where my word is lying.

As per Paulo’s Post.

How should I separate words being a complete beginner.
Do you know any book based on this method connecting base word?
Should I also look for base word of every word?
It good method when it comes to utilizing the word accurately.
But as I just started learning so still I haven’t figured it out how to create sentence structures
Maybe I have hebt in some palace then after looking around for from I connect it with ab.
Please suggest if you have better ideas I appreciate
Danke

I’ve done this for German so I wish you have as much fun as I did. Id also use sound in this case, and I have a friend called Ben so ‘He Ben!’, and I’d be playing cards with him in the plane on takeoff : Abheben ! Lift-off ! Abheben! Cut the pack of cards! Could place the plane lifting off my gigantic stove hehehe so fun,

Regarding hard words, I only use audio now and it works better for me and the first thing that comes to mind, even it doesn’t correspond exactly, I place that in my locus. More often than not it works fine. if it does not, like if my He Ben doesn’t work, I’ll change it or add something. The first or second recall makes it stick.
Remember you’ll have to do revisions anyway and start using it in a more concrete manner(in a conversation made up or with tutor).

So mach dir keine Sorgen = Don’t worry =

At MacDonald s there’s a new burger made of deer (bambi legs sticking out of it)burger s and there’s in Calvin K l EIN underwear Zorro to serve it! Mac Deer K l EIN Zor

Viel Glück !

P.s I would use a frequency dictionary with at least an example sentence for every word. As you get better youl surely start placing more than a word (expression, sentence, use with preposition, different cases, etc. and I strongly recommend it. Don’t feel overwhelmed, little by little you’ll see it’ll be easier with practice and will soon become second nature

1 Like

I’d start here for a language profile: https://youtu.be/K3IImGiiY1Q and then continue here https://www.youtube.com/user/germanpod101 If you’re only going for 2,000 words then get a frequency dictionary, so that you learn the 2,000 most used words. Make sure that list includes sample sentences, so that you can see the words in context.

As soon as you got a decent base get on Netflix or YouTube or change the language track to German if you have DVDs that have a German track. You’ll naturally pick up on the words that keep coming up over and over. Do some cross reading as far as English, Dutch, Danish, etc. and Romance languages as all these influence German to some extend or another.

What is your base language and what other languages do you speak? There are different strategies depending on which language you are coming from.

1 Like

I am an Indian So my Native language is Hindi and I am also using English to put words

1 Like

Impressive and very strong Image

I will do little bit experimenting with both these methods and opt of best whichever suits me.

Would you recommend any such book ? Frequency Order and Examples

2 Likes

You can also use this dictionary where if you put a word you’ll get full of great sentence examples with it. This is a good one here :

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/abheben

Scroll all the way down for examples

Also you have frequency dictionary everywhere on wiki and google that can do the trick of course.

I put the open source frequency dictionary with example a on your other thread, here :

1 Like

If you have the time you could look up PIE and consonant shift… basically, going up the tree to Sanskrit and then back down the Germanic languages branch. Hindi and Germany are part of the same language family… even though very distant.