Help! HELP! Help! HELP! Help :"=(

Hello, everyone

I’m a Law student so I need to study Law.

But before that, I’d like to tell something about myself. I’ve only recently discovered that visualization and loci methods are real things; I thought only I used them in school. My teachers said that I had a very scientific mind, now I think I did have one, because it took only a few readings to remember the human anatomy, the plant anatomy, physics, chemistry, basically everything in science. I loved to read my science books again and again out of curiosity and remembered everything each time. Even today when I mention “respiration”, the picture from my textbook comes to my mind and I can pinpoint the lungs, the diaphragm, the ribs, the heart, everything else in the upper body. I’ve forgotten the exact body part names since its been 5 years, but I still remember the pictures, locations and movements of air in lungs, food in stomach, kidney, etc. You get me! It was interesting and visual.

But I had to study Law. I hated humanities and had a hard time remembering non visual texts. But I didn’t think about it then, studied Law, procrastinated a lot. During my graduation I was always under stress because I knew I was procrastinating so much. It’s only now that I come to realize that I procrastinated not because I wasn’t interested in studying or I was a bad student, but I didn’t like Law and couldn’t visualize it. I don’t like fiction, don’t read novels and Law is everything but science, that I remember from my school till this date.

What I remember easily: small sentences. I remembered scientific names of organisms or chemical names of elements easily. I didn’t even think about it. My mind was so accustomed to visualization that I would read for eg “Ag” and instantly associated Silver by imagining a silver plate with Ag printed in it.

Law on the other hand is very boring to me. It’s extremely boring and the only was that I’ve discovered here on this website (from other Law students) is to create stories using Law but I hate stories and fiction, I can’t visualize stories. They feel like a burden to me.

So I came to this website almost one month ago in July, read about the memory palace and found that it was something I unknowingly used to do in school as well. I got excited and tried to use it on Law books. But… I couldn’t even visualize something as interesting as “murder” in criminal law. I just … can’t. My brain just doesn’t cooperate. So I tried to switch to a book about computers and I instantly remembered everything in my first reading. For that I unknowingly visualized the computer at our home, visualized all the parts, all the internals, their connections, flow of data, the way I use my computer (to understand computer memory) etc.

But when I got back to Law book, I was instantly repelled. So I chuck out visualization and started rote memorizing the codes as it is verbatim. I read one section and repeat it quickly 5 to 10 times (once I tried to repeat it 100 times), read the beginning sentence and repeat it 5 times then next sentence then next. Like that. Needless to say I did this for one month, I did this the whole day today and I can’t recall anything. I have to study Law whether I like it or not, I have no other option.

It took me 5 years to realize that I’d stopped studying not because I was a bad student but because I wasn’t interested in what I studied.

In our closed book exams, we have to write the codes and much much more concept verbatim. I don’t know how others do it. I don’t know what to do. I have to memorize around 15 books in 2 months. HELP me memorize something that I’m not interested in (I’ve read the first step to visualize is to be interested in what you study). No matter how hard I try, I can’t “digest” the fact that I’m a Law student, I study Law, not science and I’m not in school anymore.

1 Like

Looks like,your lack of interest in law is the main problem here. If you are not interested in something, your brain has hard time to remember it!

Motivation comes first when it is about remembering and memory! Techniques come second!

4 Likes

My girlfriend has the same problem as you. She would study history and geography 2 to 3 hours everyday after school but she just couldn’t keep it in her head. I helped her with geography but history remained a problem. Eventually she dropped out and now does what she always wanted to do and has the best grades in her class. I don’t say this to discourage you but it might be possible that it can’t be helped and some life decisions might need to be made. I wish you good luck though, hopefully you can figure it out!

3 Likes

I found your post difficult to read, because it jumps randomly from subject to subject, and revisits the same topic many times.

I think I would advise you, with respect, to stay well away from any career that requires excellent written and verbal English skills. AFAIK, that would include Law.

If you can’t write clear English, you can’t solve problems in ANY of the subjects that are scattered randomly throughout this post. If you look in StackOverflow, (a) the problem has to be clearly presented, and (b) you must provide evidence of having done a reasonable amount of work yourself before asking for help from the volunteers. I estimate that only about 30% of my posts are ever actually presented in a forum. The remaining 70% are never presented, because after I’ve written down the steps in the correct sequence, the answer presents itself.

In addition (as both @elitely and @albinoblanke suggest), your lack of interest in Law will be a massive handicap. The worst-case scenario is that you might damage your health, and spend the rest of your life regretting it.

When I was at university, we had great support from uni staff who specialized in advising students on their best choice of course. Do you have access to such advice?

Anyway, I’ve made some comments below on some quotes from your post. Each quote is only a few words long, because the words immediately before and immediately after that quote bear no relationship to the quoted words. That indicates how disconnected and disjointed your English might be.

For tricky subjects, a good sentence contains a series of short, simple words with one verb, that express a single idea. A paragraph contains a group of short, simple sentences, all of which support each other and add value to the first sentence of the paragraph. No English - no Law. Even Bob Mueller fell over his own feet - or his own English. Bill Barr is a professional who could extract any interpretation that suited Dear Sir’s requirements. He could probably have extracted a few different interpretations just for fun.

That’s a good, solid start. A short sentence with one verb, and therefore one idea.

So, these are the subjects that you should study for a career.

Why? Is someone is forcing you? Or are you a masochist :slight_smile:

Well, avoid them :slight_smile:

What does “During my graduation” mean. In the UK, “graduation” is the actual conferment of the degree by the Chancellor. It takes only a few seconds. If it means the same in the US, then it means you have graduated in Law. Right?

I’m not sure how that info is going to help the good folks on this forum to offer you advice.

Same as previous quote.

You’ve said similar things at the start of your post, albeit using different words.

So, forget about Law, Chemistry, and Biology. Do computers.

You’ve already said that - about eight quotes previously. It’s like déjà vu all over again. [YB]

What does “stopped studying” mean. Did you leave uni and take a job? Or, maybe still at uni for 5 years - but doing nothing. Maybe you’re rich.

If you don’t know how others do it - maybe you could try asking them :slight_smile:

Again, you’ve mentioned “graduation”. This time, I looked up the US meaning in Merriam-Webster. “The award or acceptance of an academic degree or diploma”. So you have a degree. What is the subject of your degree?

I hope you find my replies more helpful than the text that you supplied :slight_smile:

Thanks.

1 Like

15 books in 2 months. Likely in hefty detail, from the way you are speaking I assume you really don’t have a choice, something like being in your final year or it being too late to change.

From the sound of it you are not going to like law regardless. You are asking about mnemonics in hope to make the learning progress more effective and interesting. You have had lingering thoughts about the fun you have had in science.

It’s good to give more information like the names of the books you have to learn.

Everyone’s advise will likely be summed up as, it’s difficult without interest and why can’t you do something that interests you more now. As such I will give some different advise. You should probably accept that you are studying something you don’t like, you can become good at studying and do very well in exams for subjects you don’t like. The reason I am saying this is because you are viewing it as the subject still rather than studying in general. You don’t like the subject so you might as well just view it as studying and accept the fact that you won’t like it even if you sugar coat it with processes that are interesting. You can of course make studying interesting which is partly what you are asking.

Essentially you need to completely learn 1 book every 4 days and maintain this information to meet your 15 books in 2 months.

Giving you first points based on what you have said yourself:

You can remember a lot of small sentences then instead of longer ones. Chunking information in general, perhaps this is still longer than you would like though.

Yes the story methodology overall is what most mnemonic methods fall into for this because it is memorable and works.Videos transcribe more data; stories can be converted into their plain forms which are ‘moving around and things occurring’. You don’t need to meet a store owner in your palace and tell them what these ‘codes’ imply. You can happen to traverse and meet a store person who has something that tells you what the said ‘codes’ are. It doesn’t matter much. Kind of like how you can have a computer with its parts you can have the object(or many of) imply the story rather than having to output the entire story in your head.

2 spaced reviews are worth more than 100 reviews in a go. Attempt spaced repetition, it applies to all techniques in general. If anything this is something you should do.

On the positive note I assume you have 1/6th the time everyone else had, you only need to work 6x faster and more effectively than they have. My assumption is that either these books are small or people are not entirely going through those books since you said there are 15 of them I don’t really know many people who get through 15 academic books a year , universities tend to make you go through 8 module notes a year which are the true size of 1/10 to 1/5 th of a book each that spans over 1000 pages.

It’s likely not going to be a lot of fun, you don’t have a lot of time to experiment, you need to start doing the minimum 1/4th a book a day. At the same time you must absolutely refine your method and decide which method you will use.

You have some contender choices and I will put it plainly, you really don’t have that many choices.
You can verbally verbatim recall things as you have tried but use spaced repetition.
You can do so in a structure.
You can do so in a pattern if you manage to find some.

You can visually recall the verbatim either in text or image representations and use spaced repetition.
You can do so using mnemonics.
You can do so using story methods/links/ structure in general.
Pattern as above.

You can combine the two, be it forwards backwards or together.

Now the most important thing is, you can test all of these together in less than an hour, pick what you find is best especially while you still have the time to experiment. A lot of us can give you our methods or things we find work but it doesn’t guarantee it will work for you neither does it guarantee you will get done in time especially since you are quoting 15 books and neither does it guarantee that its truthfully going to click while you train it. Mass experimentation can give you something which will work, if you don’t do anything differently nothing will change. It’s always better to come up with your own things that best suit you. Mnemonics wise most of us are indeed using a story alike method for fast paced text recall.

Maybe you can come up with your original method and make a sort of mind-map or diagram that links the current ideas together enough for it to be interesting.

3 Likes

There might be other ways. If you post a specific example of something that you’re trying to memorize, we could brainstorm some alternative approaches. I’ve had similar problems and have overcome some of them by finding a way to make the most absolutely boring (to me) things interesting enough to learn about them, so I think it’s possible.

1 Like

Hahaha, I think I wanted to flush my frustration in this post. I was quite frustrated because I’d put around one month and 10 more days in rote memorization.

I’m not a native English speaker. I started studying full strength English when I started studying Law. But that’s not an excuse. I can write well thought sentences with punctuation and without repetition, but I didn’t in this post. I’m sorry if that makes it hard to read.

To add more, I’m neither in UK nor in US. Nor am I rich. I study in third world country, that makes the cost of education pocket friendly, without taking up a job. But that’s not an excuse either.

I studied Law (and didn’t give a thought to my original interest) because my family wanted me to make a career in this field. No one told me that it was going to be so lengthy and bulky - I couldn’t foresee that it’ll become my nightmare.
As someone else said, yes, it’s too late for me to go back. I say “graduation”, oh, it’s just how we speak “college” here. I meant that “during college” I procrastinated.

I said I didn’t like fiction and stories because other Law students have suggested making stories out of Law books. Since I’m disinterested in stories as well, so I couldn’t use that technique.

My only memory strength is innate visualization, and a mix of imagination.
I wrote a lot about “me” and “my”.I Thank you for your reply, but I still don’t know how I can memorize these books. Rote memorization - my ultimate weapon. Let’s see! When the time gets tough, the tough gets tougher.

To me, the real problem is this:

You want to be able to memorize information you don’t care about, don’t enjoy studying, and do not want to rely on in the future.

I don’t believe this can be done. Unless your overarching sense of familial duty is stronger than your dislike for the law, memorization is not going to be possible. Because every part of your inner self is going to be fighting against it.

Being an American, I want to tell you to follow your own passions and pursue the things that you most enjoy doing; be who you were meant to be, not what others believe you should be. But I know there are cultures where that is not the norm and is not something that is encouraged or even accepted. So I’m sorry to say I can’t offer any good, constructive advice.

Bob

2 Likes

Are you doing a postal course?

If “Yes”, which country provides the course? If it’s the UK, I think there are dozens of scams here. Maybe the US is the same.

The usual scam involves slightly changing the name of a small but accredited institute, and having a postal address which is very near (and therefore similar to) the postal address of that institute. The headed paper will look (at first glance) similar to the accredited institute.

Do you want to practice Law in your home country?

If “Yes”, you can safely stop reading here.

If you plan to practice in the US or UK, that’s a minefield.

Here’s what happens in the US:

https://www.lawyeredu.org/international-law-students.html

And the UK:

http://www.studentworldonline.com/article/law-schools-in-the-uk-for-international-students/88/

Thanks.

Its NOT impossible, I learn a lot of stuff that don t interest me at all (creditcart numbers, recipes with my girlfriend…) and believe me, once you properly transform key points of what your learning into memorable images you LOVE, you ll have a lot of fun and you ll be able to remember anything you need. I suggest finding videos like Alex Mullen videos showing how he learns abstract stuff with loci without any preparation, and other similar videos on youtube, and religiously practice. Remember it is a skill to develop but once you start it can develop very fast. You dont need a system, just practice transforming what you need to remember into images and placing it in your bedroom somewhere and once your room has 10 or so images, recall, and move to another place to fill. but you have to start practicing and trust me you’ll get better quick enough. send us a paragraph here maybe some of us can show how we would do it and that could perhaps speed up the process of finding what works for you. Trial and error, again and again, take what works, try some more, take again the little that works, and what works just keeps on getting clearer and greater.

2 Likes

I live in India, so I can understand your situation. Engineering, medicals or law is something that most middle class parents want their children to do.

Anyway, just study like your life depends on it. Just study day and night for two months. And study only that which has higher chance of coming. See which topics have max question, and then study them the most. Find the past year papers of your college. Also, tell a good teacher (a kind one) your problem, he’ll help you get over it.

I’m surprised you didn’t know that you’ll have to memorise so much. Should have gone with medicals instead :frowning: .

1 Like

You just reminded me a situation I was in like this and what saved me was finding a fellow student to work with, side by side. I hope you can have that chance. Who knows, ask around. My friend was much more advanced than me and was glad to let me study next to him. Many times we helped eachother lessen the stress, or more my stress, and he helped me so many times when I couldnt go on or was stuck on whatever, but at the end he assured me that this helped him as much as it did me.

I wish for you the same

1 Like