Hello! (questions about mnemonics)

[This thread was copied here from the old forum.]

ickathu 8 September, 2012 - 07:16

Hello!

Kinma 8 September, 2012 - 10:31

Hi Ickatu,

Welcome to the site.

Please help me understand how you can be very good at remembering cards, but not dates, rulers, forms of government, history stuff, etc. using mnemonics.
Once you are good at making associations, it does not matter much anymore whether you use this for dates or cards or rulers.
Maybe you learned a couple of tricks, but not enough to cover the basics?
With the basics I mean being able to create simple links, to create a link on the fly etc.

Mnemonics, IMO, starts with creating associations, later you learn how to change numbers into an image or a person, or even an action. If you are able to create simple associations, it is easy to learn rulers and other history stuff.
And of course if you can change a number into an image, person or action, it will be easy to remember dates.

If you need examples, just give me stuff that you find difficult to remember and I will try to explain how I would remeber that using mnemonics.

Cheers,
Kinma

ickathu 8 September, 2012 - 10:57

Yes, but how do I remember things about how King William I was the first member of the house of Normandy and came to be king in 1086? I could memorize this along a route, (picture King William not acting Normal [Normandy] because he’s singing [action for 10] a song about dice [Object for 86]), but I already cycle through most of my routes for cards and numbers, etc. How would I go about creating a unique route that I could use solely for the purpose of memorizing Medieval rulers, the year they came to power, died, where/who they ruled, and important events that happened during their reign.

The other day I tried something out to memorize some geography terms the day before a quiz. I would picture the word and something about it that connected it too it’s meaning. For example, the word “arroyo”. Its a steep sided, usually dry, gulch. The definitions didn’t have to be word-for-word. So I saw the word and the first thing that I saw to connect the definition and the word was the letter “y”. I pictured water pouring into it, and some of it runs down the steep sides of the “v” into the “v” part of the “y”, but most of it runs down the stem of the letter. Arroyo. Y. Steep sides. Water. Dry. Done.
That works fine for definitions, but I can’t really do the same thing with people. I can’t store that much information on “William I”.

I was also thinking that what I might do, to some extent at least, is things in a connected journey. I might, for example, go on a tour of washington DC, the white house, and the capital building to remember information about US presidents. I might use the World War II memorial to remember stuff for WWII.
But the problem with that is that most places aren’t going to be big enough to store detailed info, just general stuff.

Josh Cohen 9 September, 2012 - 22:00

[INSERT HERE]

ickathu 10 September, 2012 - 17:07

Thanks. I like that idea for the monarchs.

Another question:
How do you memorize a poem word-for-word?
I’m trying to memorize Psalm 119. The first 8 verses (and I’m sure the rest of the chapter) have a bunch of words that are synonyms for each other.

I’m gonna put the verse and bold the sections that I get confused on. Then, after the quote, I’ll put what I mix it up with. I’ll also include my image for that verse.

Quote:

1 Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
who walk according to the law of the LORD.

"who follow the law of the LORD"
A person with a light shining down from the sky wearing a white robe. He then walks on two stone tablets turned on the side (ten commandments), like a tightrope walker.

Quote:

2 Blessed are those who keep his statutes
and seek him with all their heart—

laws, rules

A person who is again being shined upon from the sky. He’s holding the ten commandments in his arms, but he’s staggering from the weight. His heart is pulsing so largely, but it pulls him different directions.

Quote:

4 You have laid down precepts
that are to be fully obeyed.

laws, guidelines, rules

A person (God) lays down a huge sheet of sketch paper withsome guidelines drawn on it. A pencil marks outside the guidlines and then gets hit with a wooden ruler.

Quote:

6 Then I would not be put to shame
when I consider all your commands.

May I not
rules, laws

A person is sitting down next to a tree, wearing a “dunce” hat. He then ponders (like the thinker statue) and takes the hat off.

Quote:

8 I will obey your decrees ;
do not utterly forsake me.

laws, rules

Someone raises their hand in salute. The sky turns dark and it starts to rain and thunder. The person drops to the ground and begins to cry from having all good things taken away.

So how would I go about memorizing this word-for-word? My mom and siblings say that it’s a pointless waste of time if I’m not going to “actually” memorize it. shakes head

Ergh. Trying again to get it word for word. Said “Laws” instead of “law”, “they” instead of “that” (___ are to be fully obeyed), left out “all” (as I consider ___ your commands), said “commands” instead of “decrees” (I will obey your ___)
Oh well. Going onto the next 8 verses tonight.

Josh Cohen 10 September, 2012 - 17:33

Lately I’ve been using a combination of repetition along with images to fill in missing pieces.

So, if I I were stuck on a line like, “who walk according to the law of the LORD”, I would make images that prompt the beginning of the line.

• who – this word is an owl (“hoo hoo”)
  • walk – walking
  • according – accordion

Image: owl walking with accordion.

If that didn’t prompt me to recall the whole line, I would add more images.

“…to the law of the LORD” has a certain rhythm, so maybe try saying it with an exaggerated rhythm (anapest) and it might stick better. :slight_smile:

Anapest is "one, two, three ; one, two, three "…
"to the law of the LORD "

Quote:

Ergh. Trying again to get it word for word. Said “Laws” instead of “law”, “they” instead of “that” (___ are to be fully obeyed), left out “all” (as I consider ___ your commands), said “commands” instead of “decrees” (I will obey your ___)

For “law” vs. “laws”, maybe think of a word that rhymes that is unlikely to be plural. For example, not “claw”, since that could easily be plural, but “jaw” might work. You could picture the owl tripping over a jaw bone and breaking its accordion.

For “that”, I remove the first letter and get the image “hat”.
For “they”, I would remove the first letter to get “hay”.

When I was studying guitar, my teacher said, “practice doesn’t make perfect; practice makes permanent.” I would try not to repeat it over and over unless you are sure that you are repeating it correctly. If you aren’t sure that you have it memorized correctly, but repeat it to yourself often during the day, it might fix the wrong words in your memory. I’ve done this by accident before. :S

Kinma 10 September, 2012 - 17:49

ickathu wrote:

Yes, but how do I remember things about how King William I was the first member of the house of Normandy and came to be king in 1086?

Actually, he died in 1086. He was crowned king in 1066.

ickathu wrote:

I could memorize this along a route, (picture King William not acting Normal [Normandy] because he’s singing [action for 10] a song about dice [Object for 86]), but I already cycle through most of my routes for cards and numbers, etc. How would I go about creating a unique route that I could use solely for the purpose of memorizing Medieval rulers, the year they came to power, died, where/who they ruled, and important events that happened during their reign.

I would not use a route. I would link the items to my mental image of ‘William 1’ itself.

ickathu 11 September, 2012 - 06:29

Josh Cohen wrote:

Lately I’ve been using a combination of repetition along with images to fill in missing pieces.

So, if I I were stuck on a line like, “who walk according to the law of the LORD”, I would make images that prompt the beginning of the line.

• who – this word is an owl (“hoo hoo”)
  • walk – walking
  • according – accordion

Image: owl walking with accordion.

If that didn’t prompt me to recall the whole line, I would add more images.

gavino 11 September, 2012 - 07:33

ickathu wrote:

Kinma wrote:

I would not use a route. I would link the items to my mental image of ‘William 1’ itself.

This is probably what I’ll end up doing. I should probably start doing it today and doing 1 ruler a day from now until I’m done with them.

ickathu 12 September, 2012 - 05:40

gavino wrote:

ickathu wrote:

Kinma wrote:

This is probably what I’ll end up doing. I should probably start doing it today and doing 1 ruler a day from now until I’m done with them.