Hello, I'm new to Memory Palaces

I learned about Memory Palaces about a month ago, from a YouTube channel. I successfully managed to learn the information (Summaries) of a chapter within a textbook. However, it took me a long time to do so, and I was wondering if there’s anything I could do to create good images faster within my memory palace. Here’s an example of what I’m trying to learn:

● Analogy = Similarity due to convergent evolution.
■ Similar environmental pressures and natural selection produce similar adaptations in different organisms.
● Homoplasies = Analogous structure independently arising.
● Distinguishing homology from analogy:
○ The skeletal structures of birds and bats are homologous. But bat wings are stretches of membranes versus feathers and bird wings.
○ Fossil evidence indicates they arose independently.
○ The more elements similar in complex structures the more likely organisms are homologous.
○ If species are closely related DNA sequences differ very little.
○ Very different sequences with few coincidental matches are called molecular homoplasies.

Thanks! :smiley:

3 Likes

So this isn’t really a memory palace problem but more of an imagery problem. You need to practice changing words, ideas, and concepts into images. Also, some info you are learning might be better memorized using another memory technique. When I memorize vocabulary, I do it using the link method and no palace.

2 Likes

I’m starting to get worried, because it took me 40 minutes to memorize 4 definitions. Is it possible that I will eventually get better even if I’m not creative?

1 Like

The more you practice, the more creative you will get. Also, you will find what is the best way for you to create images. You will make improvements as long as you keep practicing and stop thinking there are perfect images for everything because this will make you waste a lot of time!

3 Likes

There’s a different between making images to recall the meaning of a word and making an image to recall a word. If you already know the meaning of a word, then don’t care about the meaning, you know it.

This is an easy one: can you imagine a cartoonish skeleton of a bird? can you imagine a Dracula figure? can you visualize Dracula’s wings expanding like skin is going to break and can you imagine the bird’s skeleton puffing out of nowhere feathers?

When you memorize information, as knowledge, then you don’t care about verbatim, therefore your images don’t need to care either. It’s understanding what you want to recall, therefore mingle your pictures in such a way you can review you understood the ideas acquired.

Verbatim

Memorizing a poem you need verbatim, but even then you wouldn’t need to be faithful to the words in your imagery. Where areas scientific knowledge unless it is language, scripts, formulas or statements you don’t want verbatim memorization.

The periodic table, the information on the elements maybe needed to be known verbatim, but rarely it’d be impossible for you to use a cheat sheet.

Ideas memorization

The images don’t matter as long as you associate whatever you visualize or picture to the ideas you can understand from your reading or inquiry. I tend to use the first think that pops up.

2 Likes

Hello Epix and welcome to the forums!

I guess more practice will help you get faster.