Having trouble memorizing lists of people, like presidents. please advise

LikeARollingStone, I like your method!

It’s good to create Links between the two, it’s much easier to memorise and recall. But I sometimes have to link 3 or 4, sometimes as much as 6 in a single loci.

I’ve already memorised the US presidents, and all 63 Kings & Queens of the UK, but all without the “From” and “To” years. I have used the linking system with the loci method, and at some locis I had 3 Kings in a loci, and some had 6 in a loci. For example, There was 4 George one after another, so I just put them in one locus as it’s so easy to just recall. And to recall the position of each King, I’ve added a number shape at every 5th King so that I could remember which king was at a certain position.

Now that I have them in my long term memory, I will be going back to each king and add an image for 4 digits for the “From” and 4 Digits for the “To” years. So I’ll be able to recall the dates for each King as well. I just wish I had more time in my hand, so I wouldn’t have to postpone it :slight_smile:

What’s your method of memorising the years with each?

1 Like

If you’ve got all the kings and queens in the ArtOfMemory software, please do share!

How do I get the years right? Let’s say I read that Copernicus published his On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres in 1543. First I visualize him in my room for the 16th century. I’ve got three buildings with rooms for each century from 1000 BC to 1700 AD. Then I see Copernicus giving his book to Reba in this very room. Reba is my mem for 43. It’s easy to remember that she represents 43 because the R looks like a 4 and the E looks like a mirrored 3. I’ve got mems for every number from 00 to 99: A person and action, so PA, but not an object for each.

1 Like

I don’t have them in the software. But you’ve just given me a good idea to create a journey for them!
I’ve memorised the Kings and Queens, also memorised the US Presidents and all the British Prime Ministers by reading a book called “Remember Remember” by Ed Cooke. Because of the help I got out of this book which really is the methods in action if you like, I have since memorised 2 more books with about 400 questions and answers, the success rate was 100% . Ed has a great style for names, story-linking and a great method of loci. By the time I’ve read the first 62 pages, I had already memorised all 63 Kings and Queens, tested myself quickly and I’ve not made a single mistake in recalling the names and the line order of the Kings.
If I was to memorise this fast, I could probably do it within an hour. But the story and linking methods, especially the way Ed uses them are just amazing because there are more trigger details involved that enables visualising of the images more vividly which helps to recall almost immediately, and will last much longer to fade away. I just review it every 3 months and I can re-memorise them quickly in about 5 minutes time, and the recall is even stronger. It’s not a method I use for speed memory at the Memory League, but I love the story and the linking methods for long-term memory.

3 Likes

Noted! I think of memory championships as sparring, the real deal is acquiring information like pretty much anything in the physical, formal, social and life sciences.

1 Like

Took a look at Amazon for the “Remember Remember” book. Ed is a fun read, an engaging writer. I bought a copy. As one reviewer said, even if I don’t intend to learn the kings and queens it’s still nice to see how he spells it all out. Guess I’ll be learning all the presidents now, even though I hadn’t intended to do that. It can’t hurt and I can see already that Ed is going to make it fun and easy.

1 Like

I’m sure it’ll be an interesting read for you. You’ll probably memorise them all by the time you finish reading the book like I did. It’s amazing how well it works for the long term memory.

0 Likes

I can see that. If someone tells ya a good enough story you’ve “got it” whether you intended to remember it or not, ya do. Very cool indeed. :+1:

1 Like

Just dropping in for a quick word without reading the responses of others, so apologies for repeating what they’ve already said.

You said “pegs” and “hooks” here – are you using the method loci? You really should be. There is no comparably effective tool for the task. If you came out of this experience with your first palace then that would be a huge victory.

Your second most important tool here is review. Have the list, and read the list, while going over the images you’ve created in your mind. This could be done hundreds of times if it were necessary. Review quickly and often. The luxury of review does away with the requirement for fine technique. As long as you have made an honest attempt to put a representative image in each locus, you will be capable of reviewing them, and then remembering them.

1 Like

It’s interesting to see the images people come up with.

Here is what I used with a 3rd grade class of 8 and 9-year-olds who have a small vocabulary and don’t yet have a lot of cultural references to draw on:

# President
Mnemonic Image
1st George Washington Washing machine
2nd John Adams Atom
3rd Thomas Jefferson Chef
4th James Madison Mad sun
5th James Monroe Man rowing a boat
6th John Quincy Adams Quince pear
7th Andrew Jackson Michael Jackson
8th Martin Van Buren Van Burning
9th William Henry Harrison Haircut
10th John Tyler Necktie
11th James Polk Polka dot dress
12th Zachary Taylor Taylor Swift
13th Millard Fillmore Film camera
14th Franklin Pierce Pierced ear
15th James Buchanan Cannon
16th Abraham Lincoln Chain link
17th Andrew Johnson Drawing (Drew) a picture with Johnson’s baby powder
18th Ulysses S. Grant Grand Canyon
19th Rutherford B. Hayes Haystack
20th James A. Garfield Garfield the Cat
21st Chester A. Arthur Art easel
22nd Grover Cleveland Cleveland Cavaliers
23rd Benjamin Harrison Haircut
24th Grover Cleveland Cleveland Cavaliers
25th William McKinley Mac ‘n cheese
26th Theodore Roosevelt Teddy bear
27th William Howard Taft Taffy
28th Woodrow Wilson Wilson basketball
29th Warren G. Harding Hardboiled egg
30th Calvin Coolidge Kool-Aid
31st Herbert Hoover Vacuum (hoover)
32nd Franklin D. Roosevelt Rose
33rd Harry S. Truman A true or false test
34th Dwight D. Eisenhower Eyes
35th John F. Kennedy Can
36th Lyndon B. Johnson Laying on Johnson’s baby powder
37th Richard Nixon NY Knicks
38th Gerald Ford Ford Mustang
39th Jimmy Carter Shopping cart
40th Ronald Reagan Ray gun
41st George H. W. Bush A big bush
42nd Bill Clinton Cling wrap (plastic wrap)
43rd George W. Bush A little bush
44th Barack Obama Brick
45th Donald Trump Trumpet
6 Likes

Constantly building new memory palaces is annoying

Thanks a lot Issa, this is great!

Can you share how you combined some of the images? Washing machine to Atom to Chef to Mad Sun for example?

0 Likes

We created a memory journey (memory palace) with the classroom and put one image in each location.

1 Like

Is each spot a location within the classroom?

0 Likes

Yes. We did 10 locations on each wall. We only did up to 30 presidents. I was planning on having 10 more on the final wall and let the kids choose the last 5 additional locations on the floor or ceiling. There are lots of things on the walls of classrooms (windows, art projects, posters, etc.) and we used things like computers, desks, and book shelves that were against or near the wall as well.

1 Like

World Memory Champion Alex Mullen has a nice video on YouTube using his house as memory palace. You can basically just watch the video, try to recall, rewatch the video and pay attention to your misses; then you should be good. He even has a recap of all locations at the end of the video.

Pretty similar to the approach @Issa is describing… just slightly different images at times and the memory palace is already there.

2 Likes

How useful is this in praction ?
(ant) #21

what Issa said sounds best. lists with required ordering fit best with memorable images placed in a sequential memory palace walk. Rehearse it a few times and you should be able to walk through the palace fairly easily while reciting the presidents.

0 Likes

Issa, that’s interesting! I never would’ve thought I could peg 30 items in one room. Are each of these pegs unique, or did you use multiple desks, or multiple posters, etc? Because this sounds pretty complicated to me. But if you’ve used this on a class of multiple kids then obviously you know what you’re doing!

0 Likes

@bjoern.gumboldt awesome, thanks so much!!

1 Like

Each location is unique. I would have been able to do so many locations as easily in a smaller or sparsely decorated room, like a bathroom or bedroom, but a 5th grade classroom with 30 students usually has a lot of things in it.

I didn’t use the students’ desks because they charge seating several times per year and there were plenty of fixed locations around the room. We used things like bookshelves, white erase boards, windows, announcement speakers, fire alarm, posters, cabinets, the teacher’s desk, clocks, lights, etc.

2 Likes

Well shoot, just imagine what their names sound like! James Buchannon- Someone named James dressed like a horse bucking at a cannon.

Franklin Pierce- imagine someone named franklin impaling someone with a spear.(in my head, pierce = thrusting a spear into)

Millard Fillmore- a mill of lard, with a big hole next to it and some dump trucks which to “fill” the hole with “more” lard.

2 Likes

I’ve done some more brainstorming, for the last presidents - and reused some of Issa’s.

# President Mnemonic Image
33rd Harry S. Truman The Truman Show
34th Dwight D. Eisenhower Dwight (from the Office)
35th John F. Kennedy A kennel
36th Lyndon B. Johnson A BJ (sorry lads, no link!)
37th Richard Nixon Nixon (from a Band of Brothers)
38th Gerald Ford Ford Granada
39th Jimmy Carter Jimmy (from South Park)
40th Ronald Reagan Ronald McDonald
41st George H. W. Bush Saddam
42nd Bill Clinton Billy the Kid
43rd George W. Bush A small bush
44th Barack Obama A banana
45th Donald Trump Trumpet
3 Likes