Getting started with memory competition

Hey there everyone!

This is my first time on the forum, so I would like to start off by saying hey to everyone. I heard of memory competition on a podcast ago, and recently I want to actually start getting involved in it.

The main motivation for me doing this is that I have pretty bad memories and quite a short attention span. Thus, memory competition, for me, is a gateway to regain my focus and memory capability. I hope to translate these skills into my school curriculums, especially for math and biology.

Hence, I was hoping some of my fellow users here can provide me with some introductory guidance on learning these memory techniques. So far, I’ve heard of the memory palace but that is the extent of my knowledge. Any particular books you recommend? Threads? Websites to practice? Thanks so much in advance!

3 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

Check out the getting started guide and the #faqs. If you don’t see what you’re looking for there, post a question here in the forum, and we’ll try to help.

If you’re interested in competitions, try Memory League and subscribe to Memory Sports TV on Twitch.

1 Like

Book recommendations:

The Art of Memory by Frances Yates.
Solomon’s Memory Palace by Bob Lingerfelt.
Memory Craft by Lynne Kelly.
Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer.

(the next ones are a little harder)

On the Shadows of the Ideas (De Umbris Idearum) by Giordano Bruno.
Song of Circe & On the Composition of Images by Giordano Bruno.
Thirty Seals and The Seal of Seals by Giordano Bruno.

Read Remember It by Nelson Dellis and Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer. Then browse the Art of Memory Forum by topics and check the free ebook of techniques.

The two books Ive read were Moonwalking with Einstein and Remember It by Nelson Dellis.

I recommend Nelson’s book more. Moonwalking with Einstein is a good book, but it is more of a story. Remember It by Nelson taught me all I needed to know to get started.

1 Like