Fictional memory palaces?

Yesterday, I experimented with the concept of a creating a memory palace purely from my mind. I created a giant clock inside of my mind, I sit in the middle and have placed people with personality traits which I admire, at each hour. This was originally, just going to be a for fun palace but I then noticed it had 13 loci, perfect for numbers. I am curious to see how this will do performance wise but at the worst it will be fine as a knowledge palace should it not work for ML.

I am going to create a few this way, I believe I prefer some larger gaps between my locis, as my 2nd words palace seems to be a bit sharper than my first.

Anyone else create palaces in this way? If so, what tips would you give?

7 Likes

Interesting idea. Do you spin inside it or does it rotate around you?

I use imagination with memory palaces but not to construct the entire thing. I add to, modify and fill in gaps where I can’t remember. I’m doing it more and more actually.

2 Likes

I’m building a 400-loci fictional palace, separated into 20 zones to make it clearer and to not lose myself. I’m making it realistic, and working with it as I’d do with a real one. I feel like it works for me, but I don’t really have tips, also looking for some^^

3 Likes

Can you tell me what one of yours looks like?

3 Likes

I explained how it works here, also sent photos. Let me know if you want more precise drawings, I have some. Basically, everything in this MP could be built in reality. No fancy stuff, just a mix between reality and my imagination.

2 Likes

Mirroring what people are saying here, I do not believe that I will be able to go as fast but I should build the next one with speed in mind and set up for optimal conditions for speed.

2 Likes

@Bigdonnyv, I’ve been creating palaces of late in different styles. There are two values that are important to follow that I’ve picked up from reading psychology and reading other people’s tips. They are 1) make it relevant and 2) get to know it well. One value done well can make up for another value done poorly but both together are better. The best tips for getting to know it well are to practice it on everything and write it out.

I started memory palaces as imaginary places. Each location was a number peg selected for the theme of the palace and the number pegs created a story that I could traverse. I did the Gospel of Luke as a hospital since he was a doctor, and the Gospel of Matthew as a math building since he was a tax collector, etc. I called these bottom-up designs since to be relevant I wanted the information to supply the images that worked the best.

Imaginary palaces work the best for long-term information for me. That’s because they aren’t as concrete as real palaces and seem to fade away easily without much review. Real palaces have rich detail and seem to create a stronger impression for a lasting palace that doesn’t mind the information rotating in and out of it. That’s where the tip of using something from your childhood or recent past comes in. But depending on how you are going to use it will determine what kind of palace design would work the best.

Sometimes you make a composite palace. I have a 40 room/background palace under construction with five locations in each. Each room could be a real place from my past but some are just for fun. Part of the reason that the imaginary rooms have to be there is because I like to shore up my traversal with number pegs. So, the first two rooms start with an S or soft C consonant, the next two a T or D consonant and so on.

I’ve put the US states in there and practice while watching Antiques Roadshow programs putting the objects in there under time pressure. I have a story for the Old and New Testament books but might add all of the 66 books in there as well. If I lose my place in the palace, I can start at 10, 20, 30 or whatever. Using the number pegs are stronger than the story that links the rooms together but eventually, it will become easy.

Hope these tips help!

4 Likes

My mind palaces are basically all fictional now, I tend to choose known architecture, like cathedrals or castles, and I keep adding images in them.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

Very cool that most of them are fictional and perhaps like Doug was saying. Maybe my fictional ones can be for knowledge rather than ML

2 Likes

13 is a very interesting number, because it’s the number of cards in a suit. In my system, I relate the 52 cards in a deck, 13 at a time, to the 52 letters (capital and lower-case) in the US alphabet, to the NATO phonetic alphabet (26 = 52/2) and to the 52 weeks in a year. I have a bonus “file” with 3x 52 tarot cards (strong visualizations), which is the 78 cards in a tarot deck right-side-up and upside-down (standard for tarot), so I have something like 6.5x52 slots in my peg system, similar to palace but not exactly the same.

The peg numbers i relate to my 6.5x52 images are actually the 52 ascii code number for the 52 letters in the US alphabet: Jail=65=A, Back=97=a, Judge=66=B, Beef=98=b, etc. So those peg numbers are my indices to the 52 standard cards, the 52 weeks of a year, and the 3x52 tarot cards up and down. I expand it further with 22 Hebrew letter / picture words (Aleph=Aryeh=lion, viz’ed in Jail looking at the Back of the jailer, Bet=booth viz’d serving a Beef dinner to a Judge in horse-hair wig and robes). The Hebrew has nothing for the last 4=26-22 letters, W, X, Y, Z, and I haven’t settled on the tricks I want to use there.

here is another set of clock “images,” auditory if you’re into music theory or have perfect pitch or have synaesthesia. Long ago, when I was active in music, I had this in my memory arsenal.

1 Like

The 13 is for numbers because 6x13=78 then ill grab 2. The clock concept did not function well for ML but i can use it for general knowledge.

Note that i dont believe this was due to it being fictional, I believe this was caused by the circular path