Feedback / Help on my method of memorising categories of information with sub-points under each category?

Hi Art of Memory (Hive),

Again awesome community, I have been able to learn loads from reading the various articles and special shoutout to @Mayarra who has been super helpful.

So Gents and Ladies, as part of my day job, I evaluate the development of commercial properties. Invariably, the types of information I remember are pretty standard. In my case, I would like to recall eight types of categories with sub-points of information. I have listed those categories and some sub-points below as an example.

Originally, I imagined having one memory palace for each development project. I am working on a project right now called Olive, with future projects likely to be named either types of spices or fruits.

So I imagined walking through a giant Olive, in the Giant Olive, there is a winding staircase in the middle, with four ground room floors and four first room floors.

Right now I don’t have any memory palaces which have the layout as below. I will have to imagine / create one of which I am struggling with.

I am faced with the following issues. Any feedback / suggestions will be much welcomed!

• What is the best way to create a memory palace with similar layouts without getting confused (bearing in mind that I may be working up to 5-10 projects a year)

• If I had to add another category of information i.e another door, should I move room no.5 to the ground floor?

• Within the first ground room floor, since I do not have a layout that I am intimately familiar with nor is the information in a sequential form. How do I remember that I have 3 Loci in this room? Also, how do I associate a term like ‘area size’ to a locus within the room?

• When I replicate this first ground room floor into my second project, again it will have Area Size, Land Cost and Stamp Duty, do I recreate the same 3 loci in that room to make it consistent? will i confused myself?

1. Land (first ground room floor)
  • Area size- 50 acres (Sansa Stark shooting ice shards)
  • Land cost – 2 dollars per acre (Sakura wrapping bandages)
  • Land stamp duty – 71 (Hermoine Granger eating books)
  1. Purchase Price (second ground room floor)
  • EV – 50m (Glenn Quagmire flips)
  • Equity Value – 25.80 (Joffrey Lannister snaps)
  • Capital value –2,000 (Lord Varys gives birth)
  • Hold period – 10 years (Pain flogs back)
  1. Buildings (third ground room floor)
    4.Rental (fourth ground room floor)

5.Bank Loans (fifth room – first floor)

1. Operating Expenses (sixth room – first floor)

2. Tax (seventh room – first floor)

3. Sale (eith room – first floor)

1 Like

I forgot to mention that I do have a PAO system 00-99

1 Like

A thing I like to do is to include an atmosphere to the room. In my Fallout 4 Settlements project I have a lot of similar looking furniture, but in a different setting they have a different feel to it. For example, a large tool cart in a busy factory feels different than a similar large tool cart in a warehouse or farm.

Another thing to do is add markers, which can be in any way. Classic markers I use to be able to reuse palaces right away are things like putting everything on fire or having everything be under water. Yet I also use those in series of similar palaces. For example, one of my fallout 4 settlements is in the middle of the woods. That means everything is made of wood as well. Another settlement is near a quarry, which means I got more stone to work with. A place near the beach is warm, a place in the swamp is dark and wet, etc.

You could, but I personally never like to move rooms. I think of my memory palaces as real houses. You can change rooms, you can add rooms, you can remove walls of increase the space of a single room. However, you can’t grab one room and place it elsewhere. (ignoring modular houses)

If it works for you, that is a great strength though. You should do what works for you.

I am not sure what the room would look like, but let’s go with the room being the space oudside the tree. What would you expect to find there? I would expect roots, leaves, maybe some olives laying around. Wet soil could be a locus, maybe some bark that smells like olives. A branch with a swing, and a branch that fell down during a storm. There is quite a lot.

Lets go with the land area. Sansa Stark is shooting ice shards there, but she is not shooting them at nothing, she is grabbing olives from the ground, which she tosses as far as she can on a football field (an area) and then she shoots them out of the sky. Since you have to reuse the image of land area, you could go with a single image to represent that (like a football field), but you could also go with the theme so you right away know which land area we are talking about. She could instead be shooting ice shards at olives hanging in an olive garden that stretches for miles.

That is where my last bit comes in. You can go with olive gardens, corn fields or vineyards to fit the theme you got going if using the same image confuses you. However, you can just work with the mentioned football fields which you just transform into something that fits the theme. One where they serve wine made from local grapes, one that shines from all the olive oil, etc. You could also just grab a normal football field each time if that works for you. :slight_smile:

Best of luck

Hey Maya, after reading your super helpful post. For the past week, I have worked on creating first memory palace to remember the project that i am currently working on. I think I may have been rather ambitious in wanting to create memory palaces with exactly the same layout. I really struggled trying to come up with memory palaces which have the same number of rooms and similiar layout. As such, I have ditched that now, I am sticking to loci that I am somewhat familiar with, in order to speed up the process.

Also, whenever I entered a room / area which contains my loci, I try to recollect immediately the number of images in a room including a rough outline of what the image is just to make sure I dont miss any locus.

Does your mind follow the same process? or do you immediately just go straight to the image / information that you are trying to recall? also, for example, if the item that you are trying to recall is on the 2nd floor, do you imagine walking up the staircase into the room, or do you immediately picture yourself in the room?

Also, what are your thoughts on Anki?
From browsing the forum, some people view Memory Palaces are a great big data storage with distinct compartments with Anki acting as the tool that refreshes your ability to recall, although that sounds to me that there is duplication of work, since you could just walk through the palaces in order to practice? If you do utilise Anki, how do you use it?

p.s came across mullenmemory which has been super useful as well! @MullenMemory

We all have such moments :slight_smile: Just be sure to remember the idea. When you have build some memory palaces look back at it and see if you think if it is still a good idea. If not, skip it. If it does, what would you do to make it work then? It makes for interesting new ideas :slight_smile:

I sort of do this when working with new palaces, but the older ones I know by heart, so I no longer need it.

If I know where the thing is, I can go to it straight away. Also if I know part of the image, I can find it pretty easily. I only walk through a palace when I am doing a full recall or if I forgot something.

To me, Anki vs Mnemonics are like books vs audio books. Each have their time and preferences, and none is by definition better than the other. Anki skips placing the information somewhere, which can be a weakness (no recall wherever and whenever you like) but it also has strengths (quicker to start with).

I use anki to actually memorize a large number of images quickly. Combined with the method of loci, I learned that it makes it easier to get a lot of images onto my loci.

That is such a great description! Yeah, I have just started using Anki to remember random bits of information. I can see your point that Anki is faster than creating a memory palace and linking the items. In any case, I think I will start using them in conjunction, been making the most of slowdown in work due to the coronavirus to practise my memory palace and create some flashcards. If you ever drop by Singapore, do let me know. Will bring you out for lunch as a thank you for all the guidance and tips! Have a good weekend Mayarra! Cheers,
Eugene