Federal Subjects of Russia, a while later

In February, I memorized the 85 federal subjects of Russia. Read more and take the test here: How I memorized the 85 federal subjects of Russia

During this time, I occasionally tested myself to see if I could still remember them all. I’ll turn off hints and the ones I’ve already gotten, and turn off the timer in order to not stress myself.

It’s been a while since my last test, so here we go. Here are my thoughts as I found a few of them.

Take One

Tomsk - tricky one. I was motioning to click on the wrong one before some part of my brain saw the correct shape and drifted my cursor unconsciously to the correct shape immediately before my finger left-clicked.

Irkutsk - I somehow managed to get this in half of a second. It usually takes me longer to un-confuse it with its neighbors, but it seems I’ve learned where it is.

North Ossetia - Oi, this is a hard one. I need to count. One two… oh, what’s that shape - there it is!

Rostov - Rostov-on-Don, must be near Ukraine. Of course.

Sverdlovsk - Sver… sever, north- NYET! Bad brain! It’s that large one that’s over there!

Karbardino-Balkaria - (in half of a second) There! No, the next one over! Yes! Is it? Yes! click

Kursk - AAAAHHHH Okay, calm down, Icosencephalic. Three ones I need to un-confuse. It’s not Kurgan, and it’s not Kaluga. It’s this one. click

Chechnya - I think it’s this one, no it’s the next one over. Move, hand! Wait, no, my hand isn’t moving, so I’m not second-guessing my muscle memory… eh, I’ll trust my brain. click, my first instinct was correct after all

Voronezh - Argh, I’m slow on this one. It’s around Moscow, so let’s observe - no-no-no-no-no-no-oh, here it is!

Sakha - It’s huge! I know instantly whe- SLOW DOWN YOU’LL HIT THE NEXT ONE OVER oh great, didn’t manage to click the wrong one.

Komi - Here it is- wait no, that’s next to Finland. And I don’t remember a Finno-Komi Republic. That’s Karelia. Komi is up here somewhere - there it is!

Novosibirsk - It’s here, no, that’s… wait. I know where Omsk is, so Novosibirsk must be the next one over. It’s not that one after all, it’s this one! click, gets it right

Tambov - It’s here! second guesses myself, doesn’t click I don’t remember it being there. Must be somewhere else. A bit further south. There we go. It’s this one.

Krasnoyarsk - Big guy. HEEERRRREEEE HOLD ON DON’T GO TOO FAR click Phew.

Zabaykalsk - Right beyond the Baikal. So it’s this one. Wait, no. I don’t remember it being there. It’s further beyond the Baikal. (This is one of the most annoying ones for me - its name is highly misleading.)

Here I began to notice a slowdown.

Tver - Ah, dang it. I always get this one wrong. It’s one of these two. Hold on, that’s connected to that one in my mind so it must be the other one.

Belgorod - Here! I trust my- click, it’s wrong NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT WAS BRYANSK, NOT BELGOROD! THOSE TWO ARE SO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER AND I CONFUSE THEM! I HAVE TO START OVER! I WAS SO CLOSE TO THE END!

ends the game

Take Two

Yes, yes, yes, yes, I’m confident. Novosibirsk is- NOOOOO MESSED UP ON THE FIFTH ONE I SWEAR THAT WAS NOVOSIBIRSK AND hold on, Omsk, Novosibirsk, I got it correct. What? (It asked for Novgorod, not Novosibirsk. I have no idea how I misread it.)

4/85. Horrible score.

ends the game Да ну этот тест indeed!

Take Three

Volgograd. That was not Vologda, right? Yes.

Belgorod. I messed up on this one on my first attempt. Got to be careful. double checks, clicks it Yes!

gets three very obvious ones in a row, and generally notices a slight increase in speed

Novgorod - here. didn’t misread it that time, to my own surprise

Ingushetia - argh… Tiny guy…

Altai Krai - not the Republic of Altai, gotta be careful…

Bryansk - Careful. Not Belgorod. Here.

Tver - You again. You again, tricky guy to the WEST! clicks, correct

Perm - suddenly blanks out, searches the map for it, comes down to two that might be it, searches my memory to see if one of them has a different name, and one of them is remembered as that weird one that throws me off due to its name which recalls the name. It’s not Perm, the other one is. An association for Perm comes up for the other one, confirming it is Perm.

Chechnya - One more time, one two… here.

Tambov - Here it… wait. That’s the one that… argh… okay, here we go… there.

North Ossetia - here- wait, we’re done?

100%?!?!

I GOT THEM ALL CORRECT?!?!

YES! I STILL REMEMBER THE MAP OF RUSSIA!!!

3 Likes