Feature Request: History of Display Names + Rule against Impersonation

Over the past months I’ve seen people seemingly changing their Display Names multiple times in a row, as well as impersonating others (e.g. calling themselves “Alex mullen” (small ‘m’ compared to the real one), “memoryleague.com” (if that’s a real one from the creators, sorry :P)). I don’t mind if people want to stay anonymous, but I feel like the current system is a tiny bit open to abuse. For example if a person is misbehaving under one alias, they can just change it and disassociate from their previous actions.

I have two suggestions.

1. History of Display Names
On the profile of a user, also display all the previous aliases that this user has used. Maybe it would also make sense to limit the number of changes a user can do to their display names, e.g. maximum of 5 changes per month. Otherwise they could just change their alias many, many times in a row, to make it harder to see/understand that history.

2. Rule against impersonation
Impersonating someone is really not cool, whether that’s a person, or a website. It’s kind of common sense not to do it, but it’s obvious that not everyone has common sense (probably younger kids?). Could for example be done by showing a warning/info-box when changing the display name, that impersonating others is not OK and that their account will be suspended if they do.

Do you agree/disagree that this type of behaviour should be tolerated?
What do you think of the suggestions?

Looking forward to hear other people’s thoughts. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

:joy: Immediately made me think of this, sorry:

But in all seriousness, I think it might be a good idea to limit the abilty to change the Display Names. Maybe make it so that it’s only possible to change it once a month or something like that. If people can’t just change the name again as they please, they might think before they light-mindedly impersonate someone else.

3 Likes

Twitch allows changing your username once every 6 months. This makes it significant enough that people think properly before changing their name.

Also I think this discussion has connections with the real name discussion. If everybody on page 1 of the leaderboard and in division 1 needs to use their real name (applying for an exception possible with good cause), the problem becomes a bit less severe.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions.

Display names can now only be changed once per 60 days. We will keep the other suggestions in mind, but hopefully that will put a stop to the main problem with name changes.

2 Likes