Exercise and Dementia

(Josh Cohen) #1

Physically Fit Women Almost 90 Percent Less Likely to Develop Dementia

Women with high physical fitness at middle age were nearly 90 percent less likely to develop dementia decades later, compared to women who were moderately fit, according to a study published the March 14, 2018, online issue of Neurology. The study measured the women’s cardiovascular fitness based on an exercise test.

Full article: Physically Fit Women Almost 90 Percent Less Likely to Develop Dementia

This is a very encouraging study. In order to benefit, I might need to consider a gender-change op with a 30-day free trial. I’m wondering if the forum rules specify that I would need a different username.

On the same page as JC’s link in the OP, there are dozens of links. I’ve listed some links that interested me, plus one link that might interest the memory gymnasts, relating to the use of breathing to help recall.

BTW: The page has a weird format. It seems to be constructed dynamically as you scroll down the page. When you’re in the middle of an article, the URL at the top changes (and I’m not referring to “#” at the end of a URL). AFAIK, you can scroll down forever to every link on the site, because of the network effect caused by dynamic linking. If you use the links to the right of the page, some links are repeated for different articles as you scroll down the page. Steve Hawking would have explained all this better than me.

“Multiple Screen Use Affects Snack Choices”
Quote: However, the group that watched TV, texted and shopped online consumed, on average, 26 percent more healthy snacks than unhealthy.
And those who only watched TV ate the most of both types of snacks.
http://neurosciencenews.com/snacking-screens-8663/

“Your Gender May Affect How You Perceive a Woman’s Anxiety in STEM”
Quote: “males are more likely to attribute anxiety amongst women in STEM classes to being ill prepared for study, while women attribute anxiety to external factors, including gender bias and negative stereotyping.”
BTW: “STEM” seems to be yankspeak (or “johnnyrebspeak”) for science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
http://neurosciencenews.com/stem-gender-anxiety-women-8660/

“Rhythm of Breathing Affects Memory and Fear”
Quote: “the rhythm of breathing creates electrical activity in the human brain that enhances emotional judgments and memory recall.
These effects on behavior depend critically on whether you inhale or exhale and whether you breathe through the nose or mouth.”

BTW: Breathing implies a rhythm. The best professional typists (if any are still alive) used a rhythm, and practiced with a metronome. However, I couldn’t find any links to say that the champion typists used a rhythm. I think the theory of the rhythm is that you are using the “gap” that follows an easy keystroke to “look ahead”. This lookahead gains you MORE than you LOSE by delaying your keystroke until the next beat of the metronome.

Certainly, smooth graceful athletes such as Roger Federer, Evonne Goolagong, Maria Bueno, Arthur Ashe, Althea Gibson, Pele, Rivera, di Stefano, Mohammed Ali, Joe Louis, Joe diMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Sam Snead, David Gower, Mike Gibson, Gerald Davies, Jeremy Guscott never seemed to be in a hurry. They seemed to move at half the speed of their less graceful peers.

So, I’m wondering if the mnemonic guys would gain by using a metronome. The image to be recalled would need to be memorized on an inhalation.
http://neurosciencenews.com/memory-fear-breathing-5699/

(Josh Cohen) #3

There is some interesting content over there.

The dynamic URL effect is called infinite scrolling. It seems to be a trend.

Such studies have one positive effect - older women in my family have gone back to long walks and gardening. My grandaunts(in their 60s) had stopped these activities because people kept asking them to slow down as they were growing older and occasionally complained of pain in the knees. :slight_smile: