ENCHARTs not Enchants

Hello my name is Greg. Recently I picked up a book titled “Velocity Instant Fluency”. It has a section on Encharts. With a description but no example. Here is the description: Encharts use a 4x4 grid. With only 16 words, you can create 256 sentences. As you practice a few of these sentences, the entire grid becomes embedded in your mind and you learn all 256 combinations.

Does anybody know something about it?

1 Like

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

Is it a system for learning languages? I looked at the Kindle preview and saw the text you mentioned. It doesn’t explain more about it later in the book? I searched around but don’t see any examples online.

Correct, it is for Language Learning.

The book as far as I could see in my phone Gad no examples. The only thing I can imagine is that hat perhaps there is a better version of the copy I was reading.

The description says that a 4x4 grid creates 16 words. It sounds like the rows and columns might categories or descriptions, and cross-referencing them creates words.

A B C D
E I J K L
F M N O P
G Q R S T
H U V W X

16x16=256, so that suggests that every word might be combined with every other word.

If each letter there represents one word, then these would be all 256 combinations:

I I
I J
I K
I L
I M
I N
I O
I P
I Q
I R
I S
I T
I U
I V
I W
I X
J I
J J
J K
J L
J M
J N
J O
J P
J Q
J R
J S
J T
J U
J V
J W
J X
K I
K J
K K
K L
K M
K N
K O
K P
K Q
K R
K S
K T
K U
K V
K W
K X
L I
L J
L K
L L
L M
L N
L O
L P
L Q
L R
L S
L T
L U
L V
L W
L X
M I
M J
M K
M L
M M
M N
M O
M P
M Q
M R
M S
M T
M U
M V
M W
M X
N I
N J
N K
N L
N M
N N
N O
N P
N Q
N R
N S
N T
N U
N V
N W
N X
O I
O J
O K
O L
O M
O N
O O
O P
O Q
O R
O S
O T
O U
O V
O W
O X
P I
P J
P K
P L
P M
P N
P O
P P
P Q
P R
P S
P T
P U
P V
P W
P X
Q I
Q J
Q K
Q L
Q M
Q N
Q O
Q P
Q Q
Q R
Q S
Q T
Q U
Q V
Q W
Q X
R I
R J
R K
R L
R M
R N
R O
R P
R Q
R R
R S
R T
R U
R V
R W
R X
S I
S J
S K
S L
S M
S N
S O
S P
S Q
S R
S S
S T
S U
S V
S W
S X
T I
T J
T K
T L
T M
T N
T O
T P
T Q
T R
T S
T T
T U
T V
T W
T X
U I
U J
U K
U L
U M
U N
U O
U P
U Q
U R
U S
U T
U U
U V
U W
U X
V I
V J
V K
V L
V M
V N
V O
V P
V Q
V R
V S
V T
V U
V V
V W
V X
W I
W J
W K
W L
W M
W N
W O
W P
W Q
W R
W S
W T
W U
W V
W W
W X
X I
X J
X K
X L
X M
X N
X O
X P
X Q
X R
X S
X T
X U
X V
X W
X X

It might be possible to reconstruct the general idea of the system from that.

I don’t know how it works — just brainstorming.

Baby talk… or talk like Yoda you will. :wink:

You’re overcomplicating things… it’s just 16 words that you’d find useful. If you click on the “Look Inside” on Amazon, you’ll find a little 2-3 page anecdote about a guy who went to Greece and used it there. Conclusion:

Basically, you’d just start with whatever you’d consider useful… hello, bye, thanks, please, drink, food… your “sentences” if you can call it that will be:

por favor / please
come / food …or maybe you’ll use comida
bebe / drink …or maybe you’ll use bebida

Now combine, as in… “comida por favor”… just careful that you don’t end up with somebodies baby if you ask for something to drink. :wink:

The point is that you’ll make mistakes and that you shouldn’t be afraid to make them. People will correct you and you should take that as input for a continuous improvement cycle. It’s a communicative approach.

The idea is basically that you approach the whole thing like an L1 infant. You form simple sentences and your parents or whoever else with a lot of patience will constantly correct you and you’ll figure out how things work that way. There is no system there for learning lexis by category or grammar or reading / writing… it basically a simple tool to get you talking fast.

2 Likes

Thank you for your insightful answers