Education

how can i use memory techniques for studying?first of all is it even possible to use mnemonics for studying for college?how many mind palace do i need for lessons full of memorization?like biology.

The same way you would in non-academic settings. There is no difference as far as the techniques.

Of course!

That depends entirely on you… obviously less when placing only what’s worth remembering… if however (for some insane reason) you think you want to memorize an entire textbook verbatim, it won’t be the same story.

Use the search function on the page: https://forum.artofmemory.com/search?q=biology

Bjoern also gave some great answers, so I’ll continue a bit where he left off :slight_smile:

The subjects we encounter in school are pretty diverse, but the concept remains the same. Lets take a look at various memory competition subjects to show that.

Some require mainly pre-memorization, like numbers, cards, binary, etc. You get information, that information gets turned into an image through a simple system and you put that image in a palace, peg list, etc.

Some require a bit more understanding, like words, mainly existing words. prefixes, suffixes, are we talking ‘architect’ or ‘architecture’? Singular or Plural? So before turning a word into an image, you might need to know what makes that specific word.

Names and faces need you to not only encode a name and face, but also pair them. There are various ways to do it, but that is what it comes down to.

When it comes to school, this becomes important to figure out. What is this kind of information?

Languages of course use systems made for languages, but what about math? Math in fact is also a language, just rather than words and grammar you work with numbers and equations.

Chemistry and Biology rely heavily on stories, some things in physics do as well. No matter if you are trying to memorize reactions of various types of acids, want to know the inner workings of a cell, or aim to understand how new stars are created from the apparent void of space. All are stories.

Each subject has their own apporaches, and sometimes you need to change your method based on the topic you need to tackle, but it can be done

thank you so much @Mayarra and @bjoern.gumboldt for your helps…

my biggest problem is that i don’t know how to turn information and concepts to images or movies!! for example think about Photosynthesis process.how to turn those data with all of details,like how many water molecules are needed or how many electrons are distributed among Protein?it is more likely to be a movie.so i know how to make images out of lists.but how to make a movie out of those images?should i use linking method or story method?

That is both the beauty and the curse to story methods. When working with numbers, it is always helpful to have a number system ready. For these kinds of equations I use a system where each number has ten possible images, that way the persons don’t repeat as often. Then I just work them into the image.

Lets say you have a simple reaction, 6CO2 + 6H2O + photons -> C6H12O6 + 6O2

I got images for these molecules ready, so in your case you might have to make those still. I also got the molecules in my head, so I know that Glucose is C6H12O6.

In the story, I could see Jesus walk into a place with a cloud of CO2, it being a waste product makes it a dark and dirty cloud (6CO2). He hands it to God, who cleans it with water (6H2O). It is then left to dry in the sun (photons). Jesus leaves with a now clean cloud (6O2) and all that is left of the filth that was washed form the cloud is a sugar tablet glued to the floor (Glucose).

The power to this method is the amount of information that is in it. The downside is that it might take some recalls to get it right. Another power is that you basically have the chance to get processes in. Rather than just memorizing that cells can absorb certain proteins while blocking others, you can make the cell have a door with a bouncer.

It takes some creativity sometimes, but that will come with practice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks.