Dopamine Detox

It’s going to be little hard for me , hahaha :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
But I will try my best not to use phone and other mentioned stuff.

6 Likes

Good luck.

It would be interesting to know about your experiences and what you gain or learn from doing this.

3 Likes

I would be careful, it is huge simplification

“It is very important to note that a dopamine detox is not a scientifically researched approach. Evidence of any benefits is anecdotal, and most benefits come from refraining from potentially addictive activities. However, they are not related to actually detoxing from dopamine.”

3 Likes

For thousands of years men have set special times of silence, like retreats, and times of “fasting” (like Lent), and things that for Christians sound like “penance” and “sacrifice” and that in other traditions have other names, much before we invented the word “dopamine.”
And millions and millions of times, it has proved useful.
Yes, it is a huge simplifications to talk only about dopamine as if we were animals. We search for meaning, not just react to chemicals.

6 Likes

I wish you the best brother Raja

1 Like

So @Rajadodve786, how was it?

2 Likes

1. Beginning
To be honest, it’s really helpful. Ofcourse I did little cheating in the beginning , like open YouTube for some time, and little apps just open and close.
Try hard to work without phone as much as possible. (ofcourse I picked up some calls, then I told them I am busy this week)

2. After some time
But after, one , two days later I did honestly.

After doing 1 week , I am feeling little more concentration.
Example - like when I was doing some work before mostly many thoughts came in my mind , literally I am thinking about lots of things while doing any work.
But it’s little balanced (still many thoughts came in my mind while working, but not much)

Still thinking
I m still analysing what things changed in myself. But as you know it’s hard to define in words accurately.

Note : I changed a little pattern, I will not use phone much .
And in once a week (at specific day) literally I will not use phone.

It’s hard to remove phone totally from my life, it’s like I become dependent on it. So once a week is a better idea for using in rest of the life than totally 7 days not using.

Other stuff
Let’s forgot about phone, I didn’t eat my favourite food, man. That sucks , haha.

Even this was just 7 days but now even little bad food, looks good and tasty really. (I eat some things that I hate but very little, :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Great.

1 Like

Would you do it again?

2 Likes

True. These days our lives are completely tangled up with our phones–so much so that it seems quite impractical to even contemplate not using them.

But as I was reading your post, I got wondering if it would be possible for me to use my phone as much as I need, but not get the associated dopamine hit that makes it so addictive.

Something I will need to think about.

4 Likes

Williams, I agree that “dopamine” is an oversimplification. But perhaps “meaning” is also defined by a set of chemicals.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I think that our thoughts, ideas, “meaning”, have a chemical and biological base, because we need the brain to know the word and develop our thoughts. Nevertheless, and idea in itself, and the fact that we are conscious of it (and at the same time of ourselves) and understand it, transcends the level of mere chemistry.

We can egoistically do “domamine detox”, or in the context of a meaningful life have "dopamine detox. "

Lost power in our house for about 24 hours last summer. That was euphoric.

It is easy to repeat manually…in theory. No so easy in practice.

2 Likes

I just did something like this myself; today is my first day back. I spent 30 days away from the Internet and with only one book I was allowed to read (Don Quixote). No news, no social media garbage, no posting in online forums.

I come off that experience refreshed, like I’ve just had a vacation (a vacation in La Mancha, I guess?). I think the Internet, and the news, just mostly stress me out and offer very little in return. The only thing I truly missed was this forum and another forum I’m on.

I didn’t go as far as removing all pleasure from my life, though - just meaningless Internet garbage. And really, it wasn’t all that pleasurable.

2 Likes

It is possible , not through will power, through harsh filters and a few blockers. But its up to you

1 Like

Hmm, jnst got an idea. How about a dopamine disruption instead of a detox? I am experimenting with usig my phone strictly upside down.

2 Likes