Do you verbalize the stories you make?

Hi, I’ve been using mnemonics since I was 15, I’m 23 now (almost 24). I usually use them to memorize key words of the things I learn, but recently I got interested on getting faster at it and while doing so I realized that I usually verbalize the stories I make, for example If I want to memorize the number “25501” I would say in my head or out loud “My dog in the front of my house is playing a lira that is on fire” or something like that.

I think that takes too much time and is one of the things that is holding back my speed, that’s why I ask you, do you verbalize the stories or just “see” them on your mind?

2 Likes

I just see them, but I have noticed there is a significant benefit in actually verbalizing your thoughts. It seems that when you verbalize them, you force yourself to visualize in sync with your verbalization.

It might be better not to do this over time, but if you are after quicker speed with little training, it seems to be quite productive. It definitely takes a much longer time to train yourself to have your visuals do the switching automatically, although that can be faster.

The other alternative is to verbalize a rhythm. If you have a fast rhythm it seems to sync your visualization to the rate of the rhythm, even when you generate it yourself. This seemingly makes you visualize faster than you would have it without such a rhythm.

I’m also testing some things to see how quickly I can get my visuals to do the switching automatically without having to use a rhythm for mental arithmetic.

2 Likes

I verbalize the stories because I’ve got a very good verbal memory (and a very bad visual memory), so having the story in words is helpful. It just depends on what part of your memory is strongest.

3 Likes

Could you elaborate on how do you use rhythm?

1 Like

A veces pronuncio todo, a veces sólo lo veo. en cualquier caso, para hacerlo más rápido puedes pensar: dog house lira fire, en vez de la frase completa.

1 Like

As an explanation, it is kind of like tapping to a beat.
You can somewhat easily tap to a beat. When you are visualizing something, you can sync the visualization to a said beat. Take for example visualizing an apple falling every time a beat appears.

Something interesting happens when you do this. If the beat is too quick, your visualization attempts to keep up with it, if it is unable to, you make errors and/or lose rhythm. If it is just slightly above, you seem to keep up but it would feel ‘difficult’.

Finally, rather than having to use an external rhythm it appears you can set your own in your mind. It doesn’t really matter what the sound is. You do however need to pay attention to it and attempt to synchronize it with the rate of visualization.

In the context of memory this means while you are processing something like the image for the number 53, you can use the rhythm to ‘skip’ this and simply generate the image you have thought of with as much processing as you have done. If this is very little, the image might be a different number in your system if this is sufficient it would still be the same image (all relevant to training). It just seems like the brain synchronizes really well to a rhythm.

3 Likes

I just noticed that whenever I verbally repeat stuff over and over (like 20-30 times or something), I happen to remember it later. It’s really surprising.

The biggest problem with using verbal repetition only is linking that to other stuff spatially. Otherwise, I’d just parrot everything. The memory palace spatially links a list together so that it has additional meaning and you can remember a whole set of items together. And to use the memory palace, I have to associate whatever I parroted with a visual image, so that it can stay spatially in a palace.

But I guess for a single one-off story, what you could do is just read the story like 30-100 times and you might be surprised that you can just read it back. It might take time but it’s also consistent. I really have no idea if that will work or not because I never did it, but I feel optimistic if I read a story 100 times it might stick.

Well. I guess what I’m saying is, YES, repeat stuff verbally because it’s awesome. As others mentioned though, it takes time to do it so it’s not for speed/competition stuff and more for long-term storage.

I did think of another idea, like imagining the sound of the word at 2x or 4x speed, or associating different musical percussive instrument sounds with English words.

I mean, imagine if instead of long English words, we also had alternative percussive instrument sounds, which would be almost instant in our minds to process!! That would really redefine “speed” lol!

Like instead of saying “I love you” I would just remember hearing like symbol noise, deep bell noise, high snare. Or use any other kind of instant onomatopoeia.

1 Like

I usually dont. Sometimes i doodle and scrawl.It is nice to look at those pictures, especially while studying for the exam.

1 Like