Do you record your memory palaces / journeys?

Hi!

I’m a noob and trying to begin working with and constructing journeys on a regular basis for all sorts of things. I’m a software engineer so as you might guess there are a LOT of things I can benefit from remembering. Algorithms, formulas, complexity graphs for Big-O notation, and things like the rules of 12 factor apps and various things around distributed software engineering.

Now, I know that many of your have several hundred, or thousands of journeys and I’m asking those of you who do… how do you manage them? Do you have a memory palace for memory palaces? Or do you just simply write them down and what they contain and go over the list from time to time?

Also recall is a b*tch at some point isn’t it? Like, I’m reading Lynne Kelly’s book of Memory craft and she says she has thousands of these several km long. I’m guessing she doesn’t go over them all to often, I’m just wondering how you peeps do it.

Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome, so I started using this techniques last year, so i have some hundreds of loci now, to manage them, i create rooms, or use rooms in real life, and i categorize them in areas of knowledge, so i have a section for anatomy, calculus, biochemistry etc. And they are divided internally too, the palaces get smaller and smaller, so in the biochemistry palace, i have a palace for some cycles and in some part of these cycles i put more palaces.
To recall, I simply go section by section of my knowledge, you can do that before sleeping or while taking a bath, you also will perceive that you need to go through them less often, for example, nowadays, I rarely visit my section where the trigonometric identities are, but I can recall them with perfection, a rule of thumb would be to make something “exponential”, so recalling that thing every day for 5 days, every 2 days for 10 days, every 4 days for 20 days, every 8 days for 40 days, and so on. At some point you won’t need to recall it so often.
Also, (this is a very important thing), make them meaningful, imagine yourself in the memory palace, walking around, make the objects move, if you are looking at people, make them talk with you, sometimes they make you remember things you didn’t even memorize.

Cheers!

2 Likes

That is some very good advice! Thanks, the categorisation is something that I tried before but failed with because, frankly, I didn’t really do it right. :smiley:

Like, I tried having a general section which contained doors to memory palaces. But while I found I remembered my “entry room”, recalling the door was difficult. Some remained even today because I love them, like nautical terms ( I’m a certified skipper so sailing is something I love ) or I remember and entry to a distributed systems book which I imagined as a galaxy. But I failed to remember the details because I hardly can walk the galaxy. :smiley: Yet :stuck_out_tongue:

Also the talking part is very cool. I didn’t think about that. I have a few characters but they don’t talk to me, only do stuff. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I write down all memory palaces that I use for long term knowledge, but I don’t remember that I actually ever needed to refer back to it so far. I review all my palaces with spaced repetition.

Here’s the schedule I use:

There are other spaced repetition schedules here on the forum or in the wiki. You’ll have to try what works best for you.

I always make appointments in my calendar for all important reviews. It’s worth it. Before I knew about spaced repetition, I memorized and forgot the things in a few weeks or even days. It was a huge waste of time memorizing and re-memorizing over again, while short reviews at the right times would have saved me a lot of time.

2 Likes

I do mine as sketches. The sketch serves as a record that that I can review, amend or rework.

Memory Palace Sketch

2 Likes

Thank you @SilvioB and @zvuv! Very cool. I’m more visually inclined and while I do write down my journeys I really really enjoy sketching them. Not to very much extent mind you, I’m not that good in drawing. :))) But I find it helps a lot. But also, unfortunately, that is the most time consuming one as well so I don’t always have time to do that. :frowning:

Thank you peeps for all the wonderful advice. I think the space repetition is also very important and I too, have ignored it. :confused: I shall no more! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Drawing is slow at first. But, once you’re done, the structure is strongly imprinted because of the engagement required. So you accomplish two things at once. If you dream up the palace you still have to fix it in your mind and this takes time and effort.

There’s little skill required. The drawings don’t have to be realistic at all. I work in black and white but the use of color would be a good idea.

2 Likes

@zvuv That whole thread is frigging amazing! It gave me a lot of ideas on producing a couple of “hand held mnemonic devices” myself. Pretty cool stuff, thank you for leading me there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes that thread is very rich in ideas.

1 Like

When I first began years ago I used photographs of each loci. I was a disaster so I abandoned it. I don’t have hundreds of memory palaces. I only add new palaces as I need them. I don’t have empty palaces at the ready. I’ve also “dismantled” palaces that just don’t stick. Those that I use I review a few times a year just to keep them fresh. I’m not working on any new projects now so I just review.

1 Like

I use fictional memory palaces.
Check my video on youtube: https://youtu.be/luE2F3zxKgA

I use sims houses,those I use for long term memory.

And I use real houses for fast information

2 Likes

Hi!

I’m not sure if this info is new to this forum, so correct me if i’m in the wrong place. :slight_smile:

I think DREAMS on the PS4 is perfect for the creation of memory palaces. Without much skill anyone can quickly visualise anything they want and even walk around in it! People are making incredible scenes in there. It’s not only great for scenes and environments but also for sculpting and painting.

Be sure to check this out! 1st link is link to the creator’s website. 2nd and 3rd link go to example videos on youtube to give you a better understanding about all the possibilities. If you go to the second link for example. Imagine how many loci you can store in just this simple scene alone.
http://dreams.mediamolecule.com/?locale=en_GB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFjSwN45OJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVOz50csVaU

I’m sure it can help a lot of you who are having trouble with visualising and/or recording their memory palaces. Please let me know if this helped you, i’m curious.

Kind regards!

2 Likes

Interesting stuff. I’ll take a look at it later on. I do have a ps4. :slight_smile: