Do many people apply "method of loci" in their studies?

Just curious in how many people actually apply mnemonics (method of loci, journey method, link method, etc) in their studies?

The reason I ask is that it doesn’t seem that it is used widely in schools or uni. Very few people in my cohort knows that memory palace actually exists. Given memory palaces are so powerful, I don’t understand why it is not widely taught at schools.

Do any of you have different experience?

I do use it, and I’m addicted to using it for studying. When I start, I make a memory palace, with 1 room per chapter and 15 loci per room. I separate the chapter in 15 keypoints, each keypoint then has a maximum of 5 items that are related to eachother.

So basically, for a 10-chapter book, I can remember 750 items.

It is tough sometimes, mainly because my education is mainly concepts which can be very abstract. So I often end up filling the loci with word plays.

I used a series of journeys to gain a First in my degree.

I actually enjoyed my exams! :slight_smile:

I guess most of us in this forum actually use memory palace/journeys in studies :slight_smile: that’s why we are here in the first place.

But do people you know (i.e. friends, colleagues, classmates) apply mnemonics to studies as well? It seemed to me that very few people that I know actually use it, which I don’t understand. Given any person can easily google this information up, why so few know about or apply memory palace?

I personally don’t know anyone that uses any form of memorization technique, maybe it’s my country, but some people view it as a workload when trying to explain how you stored information so fast, some don’t find it interesting and some just don’t want to change from their usual long hours of cramming. Also, people may not still be aware, I found artofmemory by accident and I actually thought memory athletes were extraordinarily smarter than the rest of us(talk about ignorance), not to talk of people like to follow the majority, and getting good grades in university is usually associated with long hours of studying, cramming big right before the exam, sleepless nights,etc. There are other reasons too.

My brother is not a mental athlete, but his memory without using techniques is already very good, and the way he remembers did sound quite similar to the techniques we use when he explained me.

He can see patterns very easily, and those patterns help him remember. He also seems to use methods similar to linking, he attaches new information to existing files in his head. I think that in the end everyone uses similar things, all information gets attached to the existing information.

I know a couple on the same course as me who used simple peg systems for remembering the odd list here and there.

And one guy was great at mind-maps, which I consider a memory device. I taught him some stuff and he dabbled a little.

I think that “study skills” should be an essential course before degree level.

I am using the journey method for my professional continuing education. I just got done with a 60-page document of materials on office communication and can recite the substance of approximately 180 bullet points. I sat down to type all I had memorized (at least the substance), and everything was coming back to me as fast as I was typing.

It’s incredibly effective for organizing a large amount of material.

However, for studying purposes, it’s important to effectively organize your journey methods, pegs, etc.

I also use a technique I call the registering method. I use a journey method that I already have established, and create a separate journey for each image used in that journey. The original journey method for me is pi. For every three digits I have a separate journey method.

For example, 3.14 is, for me, an emerald green bottle. I imagine one of my uncles walking to work drinking from this bottle. It instantly triggers a journey method in my mind for laws concerning tax deductions.

My second image for 159 is a black crow. I see this crow flying to a friend’s house where I have a chart of accounts (over 200 items) memorized.

265 is a musket, and a shot it fires lands near the feet of a client, which begins my journey method for the clients that I worked on in 2015 (nearly 200).

358 is a coat made of emeralds, and it links me to one book I’m reading.

979 is a white horn which leads to a journey on accounting for inventory.

323 is an emerald diadem linked to a speech I’m developing on memorization.

846, an ostrich, links to the communication materials I just mentioned above.

Keep at it! These techniques will certainly pay off well.

1 Like

I’m currently in my first year of high school, and well…method of loci can be considered a godsend for me…
One of my best experience is when students are required to memorize the 30 articles of the universal declaration of human rights. Most of my friends were struggling with this and spent around 1 hour to memorize them all by order (which will result in a loss of time during the exam when there are questions regarding the 20th-30th articles) only to forget some of it during the exam, using the loci method however, I managed to memorize them all by numbers in 3 minutes and I’m able to answer the exam the following day with a ridiculously detailed answer and are able to get a perfect score.
So yeah, mnemonics are ridiculously useful in studying, the reasons why so many people doesn’t know / use them are probably because:
-Lots of mnemonists doesn’t share their methods due to various reasons
-People who were lucky enough to learn the methods were unlucky enough to decide that they’re not going to use it

I wish I had known these techniques back in my school days, for I would have done much better…
I guess the reason people not doing it, is because one would need to invest time & effort learning and practicing before he/she can actually use those techniques for study…

Some people think it’s too complicated. They seem to think you fill up too much brain space and it would be more efficient to just learn something by rote memorization / repetition. I’ve known some people fail to get good enough using visualization largely because they struggle to come up with good efficient audionyms. They try to create audionyms for every word or sound which ends up being not particularly helpful.

The only reason is pure negligence and not putting deliberate practice.

The palaces are becoming like a drug for me now. (in a good way)