Differentiating between rooms in a palace

The biggest list I’ve memorized so far is the elements, which have 118 items. I encoded 4 per image so I only needed 30 loci. Now I’m planning on memorizing the academy award winners for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Actress. I’m going to try to encode each year into a single image but that will still require over 90 loci right now and I’ll need to add one per year.

I like to pick palaces that have meaning, so I was going to encode the images in my local multiplex. But just walking around the complex doesn’t give me enough loci. So I was thinking that I could use the individual theaters. There are 16 and I can easily get 10 loci in one. But they all kind of look the same. So I can walk myself into Theater 1 and see the first decade of images. But when I go to Theater 2, 3, etc. the images jumble together.

I’ve read some posts about people who have palaces made up of multiple rooms, but how do you lock a set of images into a room? Like I can remember that I went through door 5, but once I’m inside how do I only pull up Theater 5 images?

I wanted to do the same thing with World Series winners and use individual baseball stadiums. But once I’m inside the stadium, the ball fields are all similar enough that I can’t distinguish.

3 Likes

Me.

1. The rooms are all different from eachother.
  2. The object interacts with the room(or location) so I can see the object in the room without having to explicitly remember it.

I don’t think it would work for me if the rooms or locations are too similar. For example if I place 10 objects on a plain road it is inevitable that my memory would be bad. Simply, because the loci are too similar.

1 Like

Have one theme for a room.

As an added tip, stop going through doors in your head, doors are terrible for memory. Just like teleport to the next room.

4 Likes

you have to create differentiation between rooms. Maybe paint each a different color, for example.

1 Like

So your rooms are different. From that perspective, the palace of rooms only serves to organize them, not help with the memory, right?

1 Like

Interesting. I haven’t heard that before about doors. So you think I really just need to create separate palaces.

In addition to color, I might need to add in some other features, like flowers all over the place in one room and spaceships in another.

1 Like

I think there is a misunderstanding here about the effort saved by imagining items in a place.
10 items is a lot!
A few items in a room makes more sense to me.
As a compromise, rather than rooms, you could have people as pegs and they can have 10 standard actions: 1 per Oscar category?
Mike

1 Like

I like using loci, but the poster should absolutely consider pegs and see what works for them

Yeah for whatever reason doors are terrible for memory. In my palaces i dont go through doors, i just imagine myself in the next place

1 Like

Keeping the doors open so that you can see the inside, seems to solve things for me.

2 Likes

Yes, although I use Landscapes and mix these with occasional rooms. I don’t really benefit from the organisation of rooms in a placement context. That is because I place objects in groups, around the location, rarely in the same place.

Those room style palaces I have, tend to be nested. So I would have a room leading to 16 other rooms.
The way I have set this up is a bit interesting.

The room itself serves as a mini journey with at most 4 points to choose a path at a time.

I find if I have more than 4 at a time, it interferes. Similarly if I don’t see the next location from the last I won’t as easily memorize it. (hence doors are open, hence there is a mini journey in the room).

1 Like

@Mikester, can you expand? I haven’t used pegs at all because I was a little confused at the description. For memorizing numbers I use a Dominic system.

Hi, a palace of rooms is an example of a peg system.
If each item needing recall is thought of as a paper slip, then a line of numbered pegs along a wall could hold one piece of paper each.
I think that a memory palace is like a peg on the wall. You go to it to see what paper item is hung there.
But a peg can be a person too: 100 people visited in a definite sequence is a lot like visiting rooms in a definite sequence.
Mike

Hmm… I don’t quite get why that’s different. If I have a room I don’t need to know the pegs, I just need to walk the room in order.

My thoughts were to make a single image for each year. I used the PAIL methodology for my chemical elements and I was going to do it again for this. At the first academy awards, here were the winners:

Best picture Wings
Best director Frank Borzage
Best actor Emil Jannings
Best actress Janet Gaynor

So my first image would maybe be a bird (wings) boring a hole (borzage) in some jeans (Jannings) at a disco (Gloria Gaynor).

So I just need 10 of those per room and it makes it easy for me to find one by going to the decade and walking through the images. I don’t understand how that’s a peg system.

My issue is then distinguishing the rooms.

good ideas!

Hey I hope this helps.

It sounds like the theaters have numbers, so you can use the number to differentiate.

For example, Theater 1: 1 for me is a candle, so I can encode the year within the candle and also make the background of the room filled with candles. So now I know when I think room one I know it’s the one with all the floating candles.

@LordScrub hey thanks, that’s a good idea for distinguishing. I can use my symbol for the decade to decorate the room.