Did you or do you fear accidental plagiarism and agree on the punishment given for it in education?

I do fear accidental plagarism such as forgetting to cite a person and then being expelled for it,

Because

The punishment is excessive and students who fight with other students even 3-4 times get away with that while students who plagarise even once are failed for a course or expelled while the students who fight do not,

This may be because plagarism costs schools future applicants and hence costs schools much money and it might be done to prevent that loss of finances,

The rules of plagarism and the enforcement of collages and universities cause fear for students and may have already ruined many students lives and transcripts,

My plot

Suing the courts in the International Criminal Court for their evil deeds since they either do not judge these cases or give wrong verdicts on them even when the judgement of the judges judging those cases can make thousands of lives better,

I doubt whether they will be able to stand before before the the ICJ(Internation Criminal Court) and I suspect that they will not be allowed to leave and they will be jailed for 10 to 15 years or like for that.

Alternative

A grading system for the fairness of schools and its rules with zero tolarance schools getting a bad grade,

Even the University of Harvard,Cambridge and Oxford since they expel students for plagarism(potentially even for a single case)

When people will see the grades of those institutions those institutions might have to change their rules perhaps due to money.

And can you type

How do you deal with the fear of accidental plagarism ?,

And,

Have a Nice Day.

2 Likes

When it comes to memory I think that accidental plagarism may be common and If I remember correctly people “who think about memory are bound to come up with similar ideas due to the nature of information”,

I read it in YouTube,

I think that there have been a few cases when another person had the same idea and this may be because memory might be a science where new discoveries are being made and then ideas are being thought of to take advantage of that discovery and maybe I and a few other people made the same discoveries and then thought of ideas to use those discoveries to improve memory,

And if this happens often and memory is taught in collages many people might get expelled from that course due to unintended plagarism and give the study of memory a bad name,

And,

Cheers.

Reviving this discussion:

I check my own original work against plagiarism and at times sacrifice marks that come from having well organized work. At least that is how I did it at university and it really was essential to do this with original work. The vast majority of students do not suffer from plagiarism because the university has a policy of permitting plagiarism from the course (which every typical student learns from).

2 Likes

Universities don’t enforce rules on plagiarism to create fear among students, but to force them to obtain and uphold a certain standard of scientific work (whatever the specific topic of the paper may be). If the students later become professionals in their field, you’d expect them to be able to work scientifically, and not just make good-sounding claims without naming credible sources.

I think it’s part of the process to check one’s own work for potential plagiarism.
If there is a source for something in one’s paper: name it. If you think there is no source and it’s your own original idea or thought: check all potential sources to be sure. That might be time consuming, but better be safe than sorry. If you put in the time and work to prevent accidental plagiarism, then there’s no need to worry about it.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by this. Are you suggesting suing universities if they enforce the rules they set for their students? What criminal offence would there be?

Wouldn’t the opposite be the case? Universities which turn out graduates that are able to meet the recquired scientific standards would probably be more desirable, wouldn’t they? Any university that went easy on plagiarism, would probably get a bad reputation. Graduates from these universities would likely face problems when applying for a job if people think “oh yeah, they went to that university where you can pass even when committing plagiarism”.

In short:
When you’re checking your paper, imagine yourself as the professor who is looking for plagiarism; and be thorough. If you’re not able to find any (accidental) plagiarism when actively searching for it, then it’s highly unlikely you’ll have any problems with your papers.

1 Like

No,I am not suggesting suing universities for enforcing those rules but for making those rules without any pressure from other universities or collages,

There have been cases of people suing schools in India because they wrongly expelled a child although the judges did not gave the correct decison and did not allow allow discussion about that and told some untruth.

I am writing like that because of a law in India which prevents people from saying too many bad things about the courts in India.

I believe that being expelled from school for such a petty reason is against human rights and some collages wrongly put the “Convicted in Plagarism” word in the transcripts of students even when they are not supposed to, The transcript is not for that and it stays for a lifetime or 7 years for one action done in the university or collage days even if a person has changed,

It can be required for every student to explain how they got their ideas and conclusions in writing which is sometimes done orally by students after they are made to do by professors after an accusation of plagarism and thisband other ways can help in detecting plagarism with the punishment being getting a 0 or reduced marks in an asignment instead of failing an entire course and as I have read that only a student who had done the work will be able to tell how he got his ideas,

That grading system can grade collagrs and universities based on their ethics(It is wrong to expel a student for light or sub moderate plagarism on a paper which some universities do-Expelling students even for their first wrong of plagarism) and I believe that their are better ways which although not perfect can probably help in preventing plagarism.

Students are also not allowed to self plagarise but have to write original content every time or risk getting punished even though they already have the knowlage which must be true for studnts being forced to retake a course and not being able to write from their knowlage what they have learnt that they had already written before and this can be one og tbe reasobs why most collage students do not like writting essays and if there would have been a memory course and a professor would have given two very similar assigents in that course and if a student would be caught plagarising then it would be the teachers who mught go unpunished beacuse of the advantages he is bringing to the univerity which might be a zero tolarance university with a zero tolarance policy for plagarism then the student would get expelled and the university might not even refund him the fees that he had paid to join that university.

And the punishment of expulsion might not be fit for plagarism in collages which because the punishment does not match the severity of plagariasm(At least in India where I think that at least in most collages a student is never expelled for plagarism and the manangment of a collage that does that might get into some trouble for it along with some media coverage which would hurt its reputation) as has happend.

I see, there seem to be some issues that the students have no control over. Good luck with your papers!

1 Like