Creating a PAO for Japanese

What do you think of creating a PAO for the japanese alphabet.

The way the japanese alphabet works is one sign one syllabels. If I create a PAO for every syllabel it would make learning a list of words easier. Right?

How many syllabels are there? Would this just be for memorizing words or phrases?

It has been a long while for me, so if you spot a mistake, please correct me.

There are a total of 71 traditional syllables in the jaapnese alphabet, plus 33 “combination” syllables. So there actually are multiple ways you can approach this.

An easy way is just 104 images. You can, however, use the syllable combinations as a way to have less images. This does however leave you with a need for more loci.

Basically, there are six single sound syllables. A, E, I, O, U and N/M (the sound is between N and M). Next there are at most 14 modifications of those sounds (going by the full list, which includes the likes of Da and Ji as individual syllables rather than modifications of Ta and Chi as they actually are).

Next there are combinations which adds -a, -u or -o to twelve of the thirteen of the -i syllables (ki, ni, hi, etc.) to create syllables like Kya, Nyu and Hyo.

So in the end, you can do with a 104 image PAO to make 3-syllable words, you can go with a 6P-14A-3O system to create a system for one syllable per locus, or anything in between. You could even put the -N/M sound in the objects as it rarely appears on its own, it is almost always behind another syllable.

3 Likes

This is very interesting. Can you link the full 104? Thanks

It appears I forgot one line of the combinations, which means there are 107 syllables and 12 combinations instead of 11

1 Like