Copying between System, Journeys, Memosets

There is a bit of a muddle here I suspect.

I started with “My Major System” in Systems.
… Copied someone’s base system from public “Thank you”
and then tailored it over a few weeks as I discovered images that suit me better.

Then I decided I should practice in reverse
… Images to Numbers
But you cant do that in Systems

So now I have to move things to Memosets…

But when you export you can’t carry over the images. (the export pushes a url, but the paste takes an image)
And when you share the system publically with yourself you can make a copy to System but you can’t see it from Memoset or Journey.

I suspect that Memoset, Journey, and System are far better as Tags than they are a discrete tables restricted from each other. The ability to filter my lists by various categories is valuable but this odd restriction means

I have to manually and individually copy and paste pictures 200 times wasting both my time and storing images redundantly. Similarly, as I use my images in Memosets for powers, squares, interesting lists of number I will end up having to copy and paste more individual images.

I am either completely missing the point or this is very awkward when setting up the initial lists and reusing the elements once memorized within the software.

1 Like

If you haven’t done it already, don’t copy the images individually. We should be able to make a change so you can just copy and paste the images across. I’ll get back to you.

I haven’t already. Manual data entry is something that I generally split up over small sessions so that I don’t feel like taking my computer and throwing it through the window. I have been quite enjoying the idea of having my little projects in the software as I read it on multiple devices and despite its lack of maturity, it does what I need in a very simple usable way. It has many of the features I would relate to my spreadsheets but underlying it the ability to group and drive spaced repetition and timed testing ( I just noticed this feature), The ability to duplicate and modify. The ability to have a usable standard to share ideas and memorable lists. Lots of value here. copy and paste through some mechanism, even if it has to be sql would be a remarkable addition. Note I am not so much recommending sql.

Mind Maps (hierarchal) and Concept Maps (network) are extremely effective and proven means of representing knowledge. I have used hierarchal models pretty extensively both for planning and communications. I dabbled a little with network models a bit but found that because they are potentially so rich that you need to develop a grammar to integrate your nodes in a knowledge domain… So I gave up and went back to MindMaps. Using Mnemonics might however provide a productive path forward to constructing clear lucid network maps… Or I could be full of ■■■■.

I initially got started with modeling in University. Mostly doing research into how dynamic phsyical models with their rates and flows could be used to model and forecast business performance (Stella - systems dynamics modeling). Several years later I got re-involved when I got hired under the title of “Object Modeler”, UML -Rational Rose. Yup, we were generating our enterprise applications from uml models. That was a remarkable moment. I was young and naaive and talking about models with more dimensions. “Maybe we could use 3D models or how about using color?”. A couple of years later I bumped into MindJet’s MindManager and it was like magic. I turned it on and it just worked. Hierarchal models entered trivially and integrated to outlook, excel, html, task, emails, documents and pictures. Later, OneNote arrived and it didn’t quite resonate with me. I have seen folk use it like emacs but I have only started using it this year. Roundabout the time of OneNote arriving , CMapTools appeared (or at least that’s when I became aware of it) https://cmap.ihmc.us/cmaptools/cmaptools-download/… Personal Brain was a far cooler user interface but never had the robust modeling of CMaptools.

Eclipse had shown up and Visual Studio was vying for attention. Roundabout that time I failed with emacs for the 3rd time. I have been fairly inattentive around knowledge management for the last 10 years. These Mnemonics have been calling my name but life got in the way.

I believe that your idea of a generalized mnemonic application has the potential to be used in significantly more robust ways if you give consideration to all the ways that these rather memorable things called mnemonics can be organized conceptually. Your engine could be housed inside of any number of open-source presentation and modeling engines and with that level of packaging, people could create mnemonics in any number of architectures. Syntax and relationships could be constructed and remembered. Not a book, but an interlinked knowledge web with atomic unit of mnemonics allowing the wet meat tool pusher to actually swallow the darn model and be able to run it like playing Tetris.

TL/DR. Excellent idea. Needs a few tweaks and I’m not going to try to write this as a VBA script in excel. I think this could be a remarkable move forward in knowledge management if you can leverage some best in class tools to wrap your idea so that its power can be exposed to a ‘user’.

hahahahha I’m going to keep going…

I remember listening to a lecture on Rational Rose talking about them running it on top of SmallTalk on the fastest computer that they could borrow money to buy. (Don’t ask me about my complete failure with SmallTalk - I was humbled, I failed without recourse) I now have a box beside me with 32 cores and half a terabyte of ram not counting gpgpu power. They used it to develop at least significant parts of the Canadian radar system for air flight control.

That is an awful lot of ■■■■ to throw at the wall but I really think you have the root of the idea. ( again assuming I am not completely goofy which is a huuuge stretch ) Normal to slightly above normal individuals are able to retain and extract silly stupid amounts of information quickly using mnemonics. Integrating that into modern tools from text editing to mathematical engines; Jupyter, Eclipse or MathSage (or all three simultaneously (deep math engine, robust ide, executable research, and thesis. This has the potential to make books archaic.

Once again thanks… I’m going to go back and practice the major sytem, my abacus and play with kinma trying to see if I will ever learn math or if I will be stuck playing with algebra forever. Will shutup now.

1 Like

OK, copying and pasting of images from systems to memo sets should work now.

Here are the steps:

1. Refresh the site to make sure you’re looking at the latest version
  2. Open your system, click Export System on the Actions menu
  3. Paste the system data into a text document or spreadsheet
  4. Copy the data below the column headings
  5. Open/create the memo set
  6. Add a column if necessary (systems have 3 columns, and a brand new memo set starts with 2 columns)
  7. Paste the data into the top left cell of the memo set
1 Like

Sweeet :slight_smile:

I didnt edit my copy and just pasted directly… and it works.
delete the 5 dummy columns and type in the names. Can’t break it. Thank you…

Bonus Points for copying from one column/row to another :wink:

… and in Chrome drag and drop of images works… !!!

2 Likes