Cool tip for memorizing numbers

I am not sure if this is an original technique or if someone else has already though of this, but recently I came up with an interesting way to develop a 3-digit system for numbers without creating 1000 different images, and also how to store up to 12 digits (or even more) in one single loci.

To create an easy 3 digit number system, all you have to do is break it down like this:

ABC = (A)(BC)

A is your first digit which will represent a color, then BC will be the existing image you have for that two digit number*

*I am obviously assuming you already have images for 00-99

You will need to have a color assigned for 0-9. Here is the list that works for me:

0 = white
1 = blue
2 = turquoise
3 = yellow
4 = orange
5 = red
6 = green
7 = pink
8 = brown
9 = black

Here are a few examples:

987 = 9(Black) 87(ForK) = Black Fork
399 = 3(Yellow) + 99(PiPe) = Yellow Pipe
428 = 4(Orange) + 28(kNiFe) = Orange Knife

Another tip on this part, don’t just visualize the color itself, but try to incorporate all 5 senses. What is the texture or taste associated with that particular color/object? What does it smell like? Does it make a sound? Is it bright or dull? Is it wet or dry? Cold or hot? Hard or soft? Anyway, you get the idea here. Really be as visual as possible.

Now obviously this will take some practice, but you’ll find that it is pretty easily adaptable after a short while.

So now how do you store 12+ digits in a single loci?

I store people I know in each Loci in all of my memory palaces. These people remain fixed in their individual spots and they act as “anchors” or “visual markers”. I use this technique to memorize a list of words; I’ll assign 3-5 words per person in each loci, and weave the words together in a story using that specific person.
Same thing with numbers. Once I have my 3 digit number turned into a color/word, I’ll store that word with my person in whatever loci they are in. Then I can simply add 3-4 more 3-digit numbers with that same person before moving to the next person in my next loci.

Here is an example with a set of four 3 digit numbers:

386 (Yellow FiSH), 971 (Black CaT), 732 (Pink MooN), 592 (Red PoNy)

Now lets say in your first loci (for me its my front door), you have assigned Conan O’Brien (This is just an example, obviously use anyone you like)

You would then store those numbers like this: Conan O’Brien is standing at my door and tries to open it, but when he looks down he sees a big bright Yellow Fish (386) in place of the door knob. This scares Conan, so he turns around to walk away but he is startled once again when a vicious looking Black Cat (971) crosses his path. Conan, being very superstitious, starts hallucinating and looks up into the sky to see that the sun has been overtaken by a big Pink Moon (732). Conan can’t take this anymore, so he whistles loudly and a big Red Pony comes crashing through the front door, which Conan then mounts and gallops away.

Congrats, you now have 12 digits in one loci.

Now, this is how I would personally do it, but make it something that works for YOU.

Again, this will take some practice, but I have found this method pretty effective!

I hope you guys found this helpful and I hope it works for you! Let me know if you have any questions!

4 Likes

and than you have questions:

What is the texture or taste associated with that particular color/object?

I have never tatsted a black fork.

What does it smell like?

No idea.

Does it make a sound?

No.

Is it bright or dull?

Dull.

Is it wet or dry?

I guess it’s dry.

Cold or hot?

Room temperature.

Hard or soft?

Hard.

I have answered the questions, but I am not convinced I will remember the colour of this fork if I also have to remember the colour of lots of other objects. I also don’t know how to remember that 4=orange or 7=pink in such a way that I can read the numbers as colours very fast.

The advantage of a 3 digit system is, in my opinion, that for each 3 digit number you get only one thing to remember, not a combination of a colour and an object.

I leave open the possibility, that I have overlooked something, but I don’t see the added (as in added to the 2 digit system) value in this system.

@CamronSayyah

This idea also came in my mind then I thought I am very weak in visualising objects colour like When the pot is black or brown ? And when my friend is brown, pink and yellow.

So think I can use this technique on my cartoon characters because I know all of my cartoon character very well.

But I assigned colour in different way -

0 - White
1 - Red
2 - Yellow
3 - Orange
4 - Green
5 - Blue
6 - Pink
7 - :rainbow: Rainbow​:rainbow: means colourful character
8 - Brown or Skin colour
9 - Black or Stripes and dotes

I don’t know which is your favorite cartoon
Because I used this technique for my favorite cartoon.

Example -

14 - Doremon ( in my system)

140 - Michen
141 - Mini doremon
142 - Nobita
143 - Jian
144 - Suneo
145 - Doremon
146 - Shizuka
147 - Fairy
148 - Nobisuke
149 - you can choose any villain that is your favorite in doremon.

90 to 99 ( Pokemons)

First I grouped Pokemons in major 10 catagory.
Example - water , fire etc.

If you do not want this 10 catagory then simply you can use only 10 Pokemon.

90 ( Pokemon)

900 - Seal
901 - Magikarp
902 - Psyduck or Pikachu
903 - Krabby
904 - Bulbasaur
905 - Squirtle
906 - Slowbrow
907 - Ho - Oh
908 - Blastoise
909 - Gasley

Raja.

1 Like

Let’s not forget the Fundamentals. what works for one might not work for another, and it doesn’t make the systems any less valuable, in my opinion.

So the basic idea is to take what’s memorable for each, and In this case, something memorable that can be easily applied or mixed with a two digit image.

for me it would maybe be something like hot chocolate fondue.

And it really doesn’t matter which number one gives to what filter, as long as it works. If for some reason 8 makes me think of black because it looks like a B, then I’d use that, but perhaps I would use it for honey :honeybee: !

P.S also I rather work on having many more locations then many images per Loki but that’s just me. 12! Impressive with all the encoding you are doing, well done!

1 Like

The beautiful thing about memory techniques is that there is no “one size fits all”. What works really well for me may not work well for you and vice versa.

I do have a normal 3 digit major system that I use frequently but for me incorporating colors just works way better, and I personally find that its less work to only keep track of 100 images and 10 colors versus 1000 images.

The idea of a “black fork” may not be very memorable or visual for you, and there’s nothing wrong with that, but for me it helps to add more submodalities. When I think of a black fork, I automatically see a fork about 2 feet long with 5 sharp prongs. It’s made of Tungsten and has a smooth satin finish. Its really cold to the touch, almost icy cold. And I hear the sound of a blade being slung across a metal surface.

But again, this is all just stuff that works for me. And I am sure there are specific things that work for you that I may not see any value in…but like I said, that’s the beautiful thing about this stuff. It would be incredibly mundane if everyone used the same techniques the exact same way all the time!

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree.

and it doesn’t make the systems any less valuable, in my opinion.

I don’t know about that. I mean, the person for whom it doesn’t work will not consider it to be valuable. I think it is reasonable to calculate the value of a system based on the amount of people that may benefit from it. So less people is less valuable.

So the basic idea is to take what’s memorable for each, and In this case, something memorable that can be easily applied or mixed with a two digit image.

I don’t see why it would be easy. The 8 looking like a B therefore black is a good one, but I dare you to find an equally easy way to read the other nine digits as colours. I already stated in my first reply that I don’t find colours memorable (for me that is).

So I’m still not convinced and if I may be bold: I also don’t really believe it’s going to be memorable for other people.

Awesome ! I lack experience making so much out of a colour. I work instinctly with what I can move. Or perhaps just transforming my two digits image into the Grim Reaper would be my first black attempt, maybe just a big black veil brushing up and tainting the surroundings.

Great creativity exercises also.

Thats the idea! Just try to use as many of your senses as possible. The more sensory detail you add, the better it will stick with you!

1 Like

I don’t understand that.

We’re talking about two different things. :joy_cat:. I was just talking about the basic adding one layer to make a 2 digit to 3 digit.

I don’t understand the point of your message, but let’s say we try to keep this constructive ?

1 Like

Are you saying that for every combination of colour and object you see something unique or do have to invent and memorise something unique for every combination?

I go with whatever the first thing is that pops in my head and then I just stick with that whenever I see that particular number out in the wild or if I am practicing. The example I gave with the black fork, that entire visual is something that I automatically visualized in a fraction of a second.
I try not to put a lot of thought into it, I just go with the first thing that comes to me. Then each time I see the number again, I strengthen the visuals and add more detail so its more memorable each time.

Like I said before…This may not mean much to you nor will it work for you or for a lot of people for that matter. But this is something that works for ME and I personally find a lot of value in it. No one is forcing you to use this technique my friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

@erikfromholland
I think it is reasonable to calculate the value of a system based on the amount of people that may benefit from it. So less people is less valuable.
[/quote]

It is not necessary that more people may benefits from it . Some people have different thinking and memorizing power that is not suitable for everyone.

Example my Pronunciation System is not useful for you because it is in Hindi language but is useful for me and it works really fast for me.

Example - Wang feng (Chinese memory Athlete)
is use his own System is similar to my Pronunciation System but in Chinese language is not useful for you but he achieved many records from that.

Cheers.:+1::+1:
Don’t worry. You find which System is suitable for you that is great.

Thanks.

1 Like

Value of a memory system means the value it has for people. just like a song; the more people listen to a song, the more money a singer/songwriter makes.

I don’t see why it would be easy. The 8 looking like a B therefore black is a good one, but I dare you to find an equally easy way to read the other nine digits as colours. I already stated in my first reply that I don’t find colours memorable (for me that is).

We’re talking about two different things. :joy_cat:. I was just talking about the basic adding one layer to make a 2 digit to 3 digit.

When I think of easy, I think of a number of things like:
-is it as easy to read for example 2 3-digit (colour + object) as 3 2-digit (object) numbers?
-is it as easy to remember 2 3-digit (colour + object) as 3 2-digit (object) numbers?

My guess is that it not the case for both cases (I could be wrong).

I also don’t really believe it’s going to be memorable for other people.

I don’t understand the point of your message, but let’s say we try to keep this constructive ?

I apologize if I come across a little harsh, but I am just making an honest educated gues. I imagine that the point of most people’s message in response to a suggested system is to say wheter they think it is going to work or not and why they think that.

Your system has already been proposed by someone else (Color-Object System) and one of the responses (from Futermalenurse) was very similar to my responses:
“Interesting idea I need more convincing though. My initial thoughts about this is that you could just as easily encode another 2 digit image in the time you take to assign colors to your image. Personally I feel like I would easily forget the colors or get them mixed up. Would this be any faster or easier than just making another image for the next digits?”

@erikfromholland
If you want to increase your 2 digit System into 3 digit System.

There are many method to doing this.

1. Colour method - ( you don’t like it)

2. Shape method - ( example - in 14 your character is Thor then for 142 ,143 you can choose any character that looks like last number
    Mayarra use this and Erol also use this procedure.

3. Letter method - (example - in 14 your character is Thor then
    for 140 you can use as Spider man
    149 - Batman
    Nelson dellis (USA memory champion) use this technique for increasing his 2digit list.

it’s the same principle as a PAO and many other techniques, it’s just usage of something visual that represents 1 number linked to another. In some cases we are inspired by people to make up the visuals, in other cases by animals, anything really that is memorable to the creator, and in this case we are inspired by color.

am I missing something?

I bet different people can do this successfully with different themes. maybe choose 10 vegetables for the gardener who dreams of vegetables at night :joy_cat: Mike Conan O’Brien in an artichoke would give it a four.

that’s what I love about this, the more I let my imagination go wild the more it works.

Erik, I know you have used animals quite well in one of your systems maybe try transforming your two digits into animals or just a feature. I could transform Clint Eastwood in a mouse and that would be 335.

but back 2 colours, I like starting from colours because they can be Vivid and point to things that stain or cover, therefore not really needing to add complex visuals to what is already there. Trying to do more, but like Eric I need more than you Camron (but still is instant): blueberry sticky Jam charcoal orange juice peanut butter fire snow caramel melting plastic…

It is not necessary that more people may benefits from it . Some people have different thinking and memorizing power that is not suitable for everyone.
[/quote]

I reponded to a statement about value, not about something being necessary or not. But I fully agree with the sentiment, that if it works for you, use it.

No, I’m not even kidding. The use of a animal sequence in my reverse memory palace method seemed to work well, because in the early experimentation fase I cheated by having this sequence in a spreadsheet next to the numbers. When I had to do everything in my head it was way to complicated. Your colour system is definitely better than that version of mine.

My latest system (I’m gonna try this system) seems more promising as I have already tested it for real. I just need to practice a lot more to make a better evaluation.

If we go post to post and tell people that their ideas have been shared there’d be way too many posts telling people that their ideas have already been expressed…

Yes the ideas hace been shared before and in many different ways, in books, etc but we’re here also sharing our individual experiences and I value that.

Thank you dearly CamronSayyah for sharing. I could use a bit of this COLOR :grin: everyday.

2 Likes

Oh nooooo !!! This has happened to me too!!! Terrible.

Well, I don’t remember if I mentioned it in your thread but it inspired me 2 practice using animals a bit more and now I use more animals than ever I’m my mnemonics. So thanks dearly for sharing.

back to colours, I’ve decided to try to incorporate them see what comes of it. Fun!

1 Like

I can only speak for myself, but when I post a memory system that I thought of, I would really want to no if it’s original or not.

It would also help in the evaluation of a system, having information of people that have already tried the system.