Connor from New Zealand here!

I am interested in learning memory techniques for mental maths card games such as poker and black jack and would also like to learn a way to memorise Latin words (including profanities) also I have Aphantasia and prosopagnosia so any tips that dont involve images more like sounds will help (I can’t recall exact sounds but will know how to make them so that might help) as you can see I am a lot of work so have at it!

(same as description)

5 Likes

Welcome to the site! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I can tell its going to be hard to find a reliable system as most people form images and I cant but thats half the fun!

1 Like

Memory feats can still be done without forming visual images. Check out the discussions on #aphantasia.

thank you I will when I get the chance

1 Like

Hey Shadow! Welcome!
Well, bit odd writing welcome since I only joined yesterday hehe.

You will be pleased to know that we have a memory author (and champion) around us that also have aphantasia, she wrote her book that describes all kinds of memory techniques before she knew such word existed.

She wrote a brief 600 word article about it here:

(That is about 4 minutes reading with 150 words per minute so, do give yourself the chance to read it :wink: )

1 Like

Thank you! Since you found this could you find some stuff about mental math that doesent involve visualization also when doing mental math its very hard to focus due to how quiet the voice thing in my head when I think is so hopefully possibly you will know a way to make that louder and easier thanks!

1 Like

It wasn’t that I found it so much as I just happened to know of the article already, hehe.

Did you know that (some) accountants don’t do any mental math? Even just 2+2 they will use a calculator out of pure habit.

I believe her point is that you do not need to create visualization for using any of the memorizing techniques.
Her quote is:

I probably use stories and logic more than those who can readily visualise. I probably struggle more when setting up my memory palaces.

I think the only way through is by practicing and accepting that it might take you a little bit more time than you think it takes someone else.

Key here being what you think, just because we think it is easier for everyone else, does not mean it is. Even though I can see some of the pictures, I struggle with “letting go” of my imagination and sticking too much to the “guidelines” and what I perceive as being the “right” way to think.

I just spend 90 minutes TRYING to encode 10 numbers in the Dominic number system. After 20-30 minutes on ONE number I moved on… Still don’t have any of the the numbers :open_mouth:

Side note, I do not remember having a voice in my head until I was around 13 or so. I only have fleeting glimpse of my inner voice working 3 times before then, which probably isn’t really my inner voice so much as just 3 specific memories. Imagine that, 13 years of childhood with just 3 memories :open_mouth:
However, I have had the voice ever since. Sometimes a curse, sometimes a blessing (it’s a lie, I don’t think it is a curse, however it could shut up sometimes when I tell it to!).

That is another thing, as far as I am aware, many people actually find that inner voice to be the reason that they CANNOT focus, because it is too loud.

That being said, my math skills improved dramatically near my voice “introduction”, however we also got a new math teacher AND I got glasses granting me the ability to see the world (I’m relatively blind without my glasses and was never able to see what was written on the blackboard in class). Well, if I sit too far away from the blackboard today I can still not see what is happening :stuck_out_tongue:

So, it is hard to say if it was the voice that taught me math, the teacher or the fact that I could begin to see. It may have also had something to do with me practicing more, simply because I liked the teacher and I was becoming good at something!
Incidentally I also became better in all other topics. So, probably was more the ability to see that helped me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My voice isnt sentient and its quite I was wondering away to make it louder

and also if that isnt possible how do people do mental math without visualizing talking or thinking with your inner voice

I have had many experiments to increase the volume of my internal verbal thoughts and they have been extremely successful but require training to keep up.
You can definitely increase the volume of your thoughts by a factor of 10 or more.

if you are able to recall your memories without visualizing or internally saying them, it may be possible to use the same system to do mental math.

You can also get better at any of the things you can’t do. I have recently seen someone online state that over a period of a year they have managed to move from aphantasia to hyperphantasia. How true that is, would be another thing, though in theory there isn’t a reason why it shouldn’t be possible.

As a half related question, when you silently read text, how quick is it wpm wise?

2 Likes

I do not know the way, however I am sure there is A way. There was a bunch of recommendations on how to do it when I did a quick search online (“How to increase my / your inner voice”). However, I cannot tell which would be the most effective one.

I suspect that is different for everyone and would have to require trial and error as with our memory techniques. The best is probably to ask which experiments was most useful for Nagime :slight_smile:

It is really cool you are aware of your inner voice at age 14 though! I don’t remember how loud mine was when I was 14, I suspect it was not very loud and it became louder the more I listened to it and used it.

Do you have some in your age group you can ask? About how loud their inner voice is. Just to have something to compare with.

I have to be honest though, I am not sure what a “quite voice” means per say. I understand it as it is whispering?

1 Like

Intresting if mental math could be the way you make it seem (alnost subconscious but also not) then I would like to study this further but you seem knowledgeable so can you suggest some mental math styles that dont involve visualization and preferably no speaking

The first thing that comes to my mind is a kind of attention form of calculating. The downside to this, is that generally attention based forms are extremely difficult to make subconscious, not that it isn’t possible or fast possibly if not.

For example, if you have a very simple addition sum
7+8 → if you can recall the answer to be 15, without saying or visualizing it. More precisely if you get a clear sense that it is 15 before you finish any verbal iteration, or otherwise, you can end up creating a system based on this.

Addition and arithmetic is such that the smaller components can make up the larger whole, therefore you should be able to do anything you can do with the smaller bits with the whole, albeit sufficient training will be required.

The first significant step will be maintaining say 7+8 → 15 : the number 15 and updating it in response to a next sum such as 15+6 → 21. If you can do this much, you meet all the requirements to do the entirety and larger issues will be with the size of the entire string in your head. On that note, some people who have aphantasia, have been able to make memory techniques work, so in that regard this is solved.

Putting an attention form aside, if you are not visualizing and not verbally stating something, the amount of systems are not plenty. If you can induce hallucinations of smell,taste,touch and emotions without invoking visuals, in that case you could make a system out of those too.

1 Like

intresting I have to find something that works so ill have a look

1 Like

Oh, have a look at these ones by the way, I know they are not truly mental math, however perhaps they can be a stepping stone in the direction.

and generally memory props Memory Props – Lynne Kelly

And there is a few free introduction pdf’s here to how she proposes the use of raspcallions for math. The Memory Whisperer Shop – Lynne Kelly

and here just an overview of all the experiments Lynne have done (she may have done more by now) My 40 memory experiments – Lynne Kelly

:smiley:

1 Like

intresting im considering the major system and vedic math if I can pull it off as my main system incorperating some if arthur benjamins work I just need to make my inner voice louder or something else

How much time do you spend practicing on making your inner voice louder by the way? Is it 5 minutes a day, 10 minutes a week or where are we at? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had created a Visual system for mental maths that does not use carrying and inner voice,

In that system you must use unique features in pixel form and must memorize some keys for translation(Addition up to 0-10,100 number of keys) and then when you are calculating and need to carry the number “1” then you add a coloured glow to that pixel to indicate that 1 is added to it.

This will require another number system which I call the pixel glow number system which contains glowing pixel numbers with 0-9 pixel glows in this system(which is a total of 10)

These computations can also be done in parallel using chunked parallel memory palaces in which you can divide a scene into 2 or more parts and then imagine changing the values of pixels(Colour/Glow) according to the place value(s) associated with each parallel scene of that Memory Palace

This system can also be used for Vedic maths with some modifications on the kind of the unit used for calculations(Objects instead of pixels with artibutes instead instead of glow)by colour coding and also glow coding those units for operations which involve different groups of numbers(Such as multiplying two digit numbers in Vedic Maths with its fastest trick)

Making that Visual Vedic Maths

And with this method by using Chunked Parallel Memory Palaces and Object coding you can add numbers both in the tens and in groups of two(These methods combined),

And I hope that calculating numbers visually will be faster than calculating numbers verbally and maybe both can be done together to get the benifits of both verbal and visual Vedic Mathamatics which is the fastest calculation system in the world and I hope to one day make Multisensory Vedic Mathamatics which will likely be faster than single sensory Vedic Mathamatics(Verbal Mathamatics) if it is amde for speed.

With that method people are not calculating people are performing logical operations and then translating the visual result back into a number(s) just like us mnemonists who translate visuals into numbers when memorizing numbers in the Memory League,

Note- Sorry,this unorganised post I wanted my ideas to be shared and stored.

And,

Cheers.

Interesting