Competing

Hello,

Up to now, I’ve only tested myself with the ‘Training’ modules and think I may have plateaued out for the time being.

The menu bar offers the option to ‘compete’ in ‘friendly’ or ‘rated’ games. I know I could find out more about the process by going in and asking to compete with someone, but I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to let me know what’s involved before I do.

If I hit ‘random’, am I given the names of other people who have also expressed an interest to play a random opponent, and is it done by ‘rating’? I’m very happy to play someone rated much higher than me as I want to improve - but it might not be much fun for them to win too easily if they’re rated well above me! :slight_smile:

Also, what exactly is a ‘rated’ game? Is that for everyone - or only in certain circumstances? Does it mean that you could lower your rating if you did badly? (As opposed to increasing it if you do well?) I wasn’t sure how useful/important it was for someone like me, who is just testing the waters, so to speak.

I’ve entered Memory League season 4 and thought it might get me used to competing if I tried out this option - so any advice you can give me will be gratefully received. (Even down to the problems of competing in different time zones. I’m in the UK so realise I could still be asleep when some people are wide awake!)

Many thanks,

James

(Silvio B.) #2

If you hit “random” and choose the disciplines you want to compete in (you can choose all of them or just one, or leave the one’s out that you don’t want) you get in a match with another player who has done the same. It doesn’t matter what level you are on.

Rated games are for everyone. They count towards the ratings (friendly ones don’t). But if the players are on different levels, the player on the lower level loses less points if he loses the game. And if the difference is big enough the player with the lower level doesn’t lose points at all (for example a level 1 player doesn’t lose points against a level 10 player, I think). Don’t worry about the ratings though, the wins/losses is only part of the rating and the rating isn’t really important. Your top 5 scores count towards the ratings too (if you play rated games).

It’s best to get used to competing before the season starts. So just try it out :smiley:
The different time zones can sometimes be a problem to find a good time to play. But you can arrange a time to play with your opponent on the “notes” on the memory league table (don’t forget to press “send to opponent”). The opponent will receive an e-mail.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.

Good luck in season 4! :relaxed:

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #3

Do you know what algorithm they use? Elo, glicko, whr, or something else?

(Silvio B.) #4

No, I don’t even understand what Elo, glicko and whr mean :grin:

That might be a question for @Simon.

(selmo'i cu se nintadni) #5

Elo has been historically used for Chess ratings, Glicko is basically an improved Elo which adjusts to a players strength much more quickly, WHR stands for “Whole History Rating” and is a system which takes all previous results into account in order to arrive at a result even faster and more accurately than Glicko while punishing players who get paired against sandbaggers almost none, but costs more resources (obviously). It is used for goratings.org as well as the Arimaa gameroom.

Hello Silvio.

Many thanks for your detailed reply. That’s a great help and I’m very grateful.

I’ll definitely have a go. As you say, I’m sure it helps to compete before the season starts.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain things to me - and for your good wishes for Season 4. I’m looking forward to it. Good luck to you, too.

James

(Simon Orton) #7

Thanks @SilvioB for answering!

The ratings are calculated as the sum of three components:

• Base component, based on your level (1 to 10)
  • Scores component, based on your top 5 recent scores in rated matches (this is only relevant to those on level 10)
  • Wins component, which is an Elo-style rating - this goes up when you win, and down when you lose.

If you go to the Leaderboard page and click the “Ratings Explanation” button at the top right, you’ll see all the details.

Friendly games don’t affect the ratings, and they’re also “private” in that they don’t appear on the Home page for others to see. But I’d suggest playing rated games for more fun!

There’s no need to worry about being randomly matched with a champion if you’re a beginner, because you’ll only be matched with someone whose rating is within 1000 (for Cards, Images and Numbers) or 500 (for Names and Words) of yours. This means that the higher rated player always has something to gain by winning.

Thanks, Simon. That’s all very helpful information. Now I just have to make myself press that ‘compete’ button! :slight_smile: