Chimpanzee instant memory!!!

Surely we all know this test about chimpanzee memory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAH4ZJBiN8. It’s really amirable. How we can learn from him? :slight_smile:

holy guacamole! this chimp is awesome…him and Ramon Campayo need to go head to head

What relationship exists between short-term memory and long-term memory? Are they positively correlated, so that when short-term memory becomes better long-term memory becomes better? Or may they be inversely related (because you cannot encode/review the information as quickly)? Does anybody have a study to point to that can elucidate their relationship for me?

Interesting experiment. But the chimp is recalling the sequence right away. I wonder if a delay was introduced, at what point would the chimp have difficulty?

Would the chimp be as good if the sequence was oral rather than visual? If visual, it is just that chimps have a longer persistence of vision than humans?

Interesting experiment. But the chimp is recalling the sequence right away. I wonder if a delay was introduced, at what point would the chimp have difficulty?

Would the chimp be as good if the sequence was oral rather than visual? If visual, it is just that chimps have a longer persistence of vision than humans?

Hi duyhoa83:

Regarding the experiment with Ayumu the chimp.

In 2011you wrote: …wonder if a delay was introduced, at what point would the chimp have difficulty?

Go to: href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyJomdyjyvM

Approx. 1:12 seconds in the experiment the chimp was distracted for @ 10 seconds.

Seemed to recall the order quite well after 10 seconds. Might be an interesting experiment to vary delay before recalling the order of numbers. TIM

Here’s another video about chimps:

1 Like

Some added thoughts on the video, for as far as I remember it from seeing it in the past.

The video you linked is on the idea of “Cognitive Trade-off”, and while I won’t actively try to dispute the hypothesis (note: this does mean that it has little weight scientifically), I would like to give you some thoughts of mine to think about. Note that I won’t look for the sources of the information because it would take time, but if anyone has something that either backs or disproves my thoughts, do link :slight_smile: I always love to learn more. So don’t view the points as facts, they are just my knowledge, which could be false.

• While our brains are not very much larger than chimps, they are differently structured. I believe it was the neanderthals who even had larger brains than we did, which might actually have been a disadvantage. Our brains are denser, which basically means that we have more neurons in the same amount of space (I believe around three times more?). So we never had to sacrifice space, we created more of it.

• We have -completely- different environments than chimps. They live in unpredictable natural environments with small groups of individuals, we live in constructed environments with massive populations. They have to hunt and gather to gain food, we have to trade it for currency at the local supermarket. This might not seem like a big deal, but it does. Let’s say that you run every week. You grow faster, you run longer, and after some time you might run a marathon despite being out of breath after just 5 minutes on the first day. Your mind and body adapted to the activity. You don’t suddenly lose the ability to make a sandwich just because you learn how to run.

Our daily lives require way less usage of memory in general. If it is then tested with these kinds of tests, it is only natural that at first we score incredibly bad. Even just 2 or 3 test runs can improve ones score a lot, simply because your mind is primed to the activity, similar (in concept, not in practice) to warming up your body before a sports activity.

3 Likes

Great, not only can they rip my face off but they have better memories than me too.