Chess improvement

Okay guys, so today I decided I wanted to be a beast at chess. I just know how to play but that’s all, I’ll be interested in learning oppenings and as much as I can. If you have any tips or how to memorise a LOT of strategies and how to predict as far as possible as much shots in advance I will be very grateful.
Thanks!

5 Likes

Surely, memorisation sharpens your skill. But one of my experience tells that force yourself to think deeper might turn an Unexpectedly amazing outcome. I wish your efforts well-paid! :wink:

4 Likes

First play longer timed games like 10 min, 15 min or longer. This will increase your classical chess skills.

Increasing your classical chess skills will also increase your blitz and rapid skills, thus you will also be better in short timed games. It doesn’t work the other way around.

Learn a few openings and practise tactics by doing puzzles. Up until 1600 only a basic knowledge of endgames is required like kingvsking+pawn, king positioning etc. These 3 things should be enough to get to 1600. If you train hard, you could do it in 1 month.

3 Likes

Thanks, 7 years ago I played in a club and beat an opponent wich was at 1 800 elo.
But since I’ve not played chess seriously.
I’ll have to relearn the basics oppenings and ending!

2 Likes

I would stay away from Blitz if you want to improve because it installs bad habits. Until last year the consensus was that memorizing openings was nonsense and a waste of time for under 2200 fide players. This has changed because with Chessable being so popular and more masters that teach started to see that a good opening repertoire for lower rated players is very helpful in getting decent positions. Sure you still need to play chess after that, but it helps if your not struggling at move 2 and have to waste a lot of mental energy to figure things out. So I would memorize a good opening repertoire and principles so you have checklists in your head what to look for when you are attacked, what does this move do and when to exhange pieces etc…

My overall advise would be to take your time every move. Youtube is full with excellent material like John Batholemew’s Chess fundamentals or Gothamchess and not to forget ChessNetwork. Learn, study and then memorize it so you will know basic endgame stuff, openings, pawn structures etc… Chess improvement is a slow painful road for most of us especially if you are older then 35 and new to the game. For under 20 it is a whole different ballgame they suck up the patterns like crazy and improve fast. Chess is a beautiful game, but can be a cruel game when you lose by just one bad move and you feel super down afterwards. Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all these advices and youtube channels, I’ll definitely check that out!
I’m 17 and started playing chess at 8 so the basics should come back pretty fast :wink:, and I always take my time.

1 Like

goodluck

1 Like

@Jules-Ballion At that age you can improve very quickly especially when you have learned the rules as a kid according to the research done by NM Logazar that gives you a huge advantage. Put in the work and results will come :slight_smile:

Thanks, actually I’m interested in improving my shots prevision, I could back in the days predict up to 5 shots. I’d like to work mentally to predict what will happend.

Calculation exercises is for most people not much fun to do, but they will give you the most bang for your buck when it comes to seeing moves ahead. A very good way to practice this is with mate in 2 and 3 with only a few pieces on the board. GM Jesse Kraai and some others have recommended The Lazlo Polgar puzzle book with 5000 positions in it. Another great way to train this is with endgames with again only a few pieces on the board. This is very hard to calculate because there are so many moves that are possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why I find it so interesting!

2 Likes