Card deck memorisation - post your times here!

card-memorization

(Suzy Du Pont) #1082

Rly? Thanks :smiley:
Im basically using Major. Im used to it, memorized 1000 pi, being able to recall which figure is in which place at the spot. And the face cards are people I know. Therefore I have to store 52 symbols somewhere. I was just curious how it would work out. I think Im now in the 3 min area. Don’t have the perfect “route” and I have to think which card is which symbol. But it makes fun… maybe it will get serious :D. Just changing stuff around. And ordered a new card deck :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,
Suzy

Sorry, Livan, didn’t mean to leave you out of that! I had just read some of later parts of this thread and had read a lot of posts from Lance, Alex, and Everett, and they were just fresh on my mind. I know about you and I know you should’ve been up on that stage during the finals earlier this year at the US Memory Championship. I hope you were you OK with the decision they made. It sounds like you were a true gentlemen about it.

Edited to add: Not forgetting about Nelson and Johnny B. either!

Ooh, new PB of 54.32! I’m a happy boy tonight! :slight_smile:

...so I put the cards down and ended the timer, after which I constructed the images.

I can’t speak for others, but that’s precisely what I do in competition, Maya. I believe Ben does the same.

Go, Graham! Also, I’ve been tending to do that thing lately, too (about stopping the clock and then figuring out the images of the last few cards). Although at a much more leisurely pace than you!

Edited to add: Now that I think about, one of the reasons I’m probably still in the 2+ minute land is that I’m still occasionally having to figure out the images. That should be automatic if I keep going over my assignments. For example, when I use the System Trainer on Memocamp (Eliminator mode), I’m still over 1 minute for the 52 cards. I’ll bet the sub-30 guys could do this in well under 20 seconds.

Also, I've been tending to do that thing lately, too (about stopping the clock and then figuring out the images of the last few cards).

In fact, it’s only just occurred to me that there’s no need to even try remembering the last card.

And I’ve only been doing this a little over 15 years! :slight_smile:

Haven’t updated in a while, so now seems like a good time :). Last week I was able to do a deck digitally in 17.59 seconds, and the next day was able to do 10 decks in 10 minutes (digitally as well). Those times/scores still feel pretty surreal to me; I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d be able to hit those marks. It marks a little over a year now that I’ve been using this new block system. I love it, but it still doesn’t seem to have taken much of a foothold. If you’re interested, try it out! Here’s the link to Lance’s original post about it (the block system is essentially “part 1” of his system).

10 decks in 10 minutes?!

Mate, that’s exceptional! Nice one.

Edit: So, part one of the Shadow System?

Presumably, you’ve got your sights set on a world record?

Yep, it’s part one of Lance’s Shadow System, also called the Hannes System (I don’t think Johannes and I use similar phonetics, but the structure is the same).

I’d love to break one of the cards or numbers ones. We’ll see what happens :slight_smile:

What put me off, if I’ve understood it correctly, is that it involves a variable number of loci.

Alex, what is the consistency level of yours? I feel a great deal of revence about your performance… speechelss, simply put.

As I have observed you, you have been able to hit crazy scores in such a short time span, that it scares the living hell out of me. How is that possible that some Simon, Johannes, or even Ben, haven’t hit this mark? If I am mistaken, I will gladly change my mind, no endeavor to criticize.

Maybe you have found a system which fits you so well that it enables you to devote yourself even on a spiritual level, I don’t know, it is simply sick.

I read a blog of Ben where he mentioned “10 decks in 10 minutes” to be one of his dreams. But how many years has he trained so far? Even in hsi best years he couldn’t do it.

I have no intention of making any of those “big guys” looking bad, they deserve a great deal of respect. The whole point of my post is to show a little confusion about your rapid improvement relative to others.

As far as I recall, when I contacted you via message, you explained to me that you are a student, which makes me think that you can’t train 10 hours a day… But I would have no reason to doubt about it even if you said that you devote so much time to this sport.

Alex,

AMAZING, man. Quick question. I saw your wonderful video taped at the Medical School where you were demonstrating your card method. You were using the Major system, with one sound representing the suit combination, and one sound for each card in the pair. In the example you gave, the combo sound was “j”, and the two sounds for the card values were “m” and “s”, for which your image was "James " (James Kirk of Star Trek). Is this current system you’re using now different from that one?

53.29!

You gotta celebrate the small victories, right? :slight_smile:

Soon I’m gonna get jealous with you Graham! :stuck_out_tongue:

(sharad baral) #1096

once i had hit 3:30 with pao method.I dont use major or dominic system .i assign numbers with PAO randomly and memorise them by heart

i assign numbers with PAO randomly and memorise them by heart

If you’re looking for a name, we could call that the Andi Bell method! :slight_smile:

However, if you’re always using a person, I’d suggest that it’s still the Dominic system, as DO suggests only using his number-letter code if you don’t come up with anything else.

(sharad baral) #1098

I use action and object too. Im quite shocked to find out that people depend upon major or dominic system to convert letter into person name.I think doing that will increase chance of missing out of some person which work amazingly during visualisation and retaining processs.So i think making a list of 100 distinct person ( eg,only one bald person ,only one superhero with cape,only one hot women,only one old women, etc in the list of hundred person) first then allocate them into any number without specific rule but include some sense to aid memorisation and then learn them by heart is quite better

With Dominic and Major you risk missing some good persons for images, indeed, but you get easy links to your images in return. Every system has their ups and downs. I work with categories myself, and the numbers remind me of the person. It is mainly my 00-99 PAO system, but I also use it for cards.

Clubs A-10 are super heroes. The hulk being 6 of clubs, as the 6 reminds me of an arm with a fist. Spades is Star Wars, with A (1) being Obi-wan Kenobi, because Obi-wan sounds like Obi-One. All Jacks, Queens and Kings are famous people, Male (J), Female (Q) and Historic (K). Hearts are people I think are very good looking, like Bradley Cooper. Diamonds are people I admire, like Albert Einstein. Etc.

It works great for me and this category system reduces the efford I have to put in to memorize it. Some people can’t work with that, and rather work with a phonetic system (major) or a system providing you initials for your persons (Dominic), why be shocked by that?

I use action and object too. Im quite shocked to find out that people depend upon major or dominic system to convert letter into person name.I think doing that will increase chance of missing out of some person which work amazingly during visualisation and retaining processs.

Can I suggest that maybe you’re shocked a little too easily? There are plenty of people out there getting very good times using Dominic or Major.

I think you’re imagining a problem that doesn’t actually exist.

53.06!

Sure, it’s not a lot, but it’s heading in the right direction! :wink: