Cantonese initial/final sound pairs

I’m trying to assemble some mnemonics for Cantonese words. The words consist of only a limited number of combinations (great!) but some of the sounds are very different to romance languages so I’m struggling to find pegs to put the sounds on (boo!).

Here’s what I’ve got so far. Maybe I need to start using the initials like in the Dominic system but I find that 1-2 extra steps. I also wonder if there’s not some completely different system I can use because this seem really great in a few situations but totally arduous or even unworkable sometimes:

aa, aardvark
aai, Ali G
aau
aam
aan,
aang, FAANG stocks
aap,
aat, Advocaat
aak, Aakrosh? Chris Isaak
ai, air
au, ms au
am, Amadeus Mozart / Edam / Stream / Cream
an
ang, fang/bang/gang
ap, slap/clap/crap
at, cat/rat
ak, freak,leak
e,
ei, DAY
eu,
em, emma
eng, Johnny English
ep, epstein didn’t kill himself
ek
i
iu
im
in
ing
IP ip Man
it, from Adam’s family
ik
o, occidental octopus
oi, oily oink
ou
on onion
ong, ong bak (Thai fighter)
ot, foot
ok, okinawa
oe
oeng
oek
eoi
eon
eot
u
ui
un
ung, yung (name)
ut
UK, the Queen of the uk
yu

Here’s what they sound like in words. Only about 1500 with combinations: https://cantolounge.com/jyutping-chart/ I also need to make a habit of checking the pronunciation is accurate rather than just reading the romanised text. Another approach would be to tackle the phonology head on with an article like: https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Cantonese_phonology but that’s a lot more work. hmm.

1 Like

Hi.

See this: https://languageninja.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/cantonese-using-mnemonics/

Greetings. Could you please explain me what that strange list means, please?

SupaTurkBR, The list is of romanised syllables from here:

Thanks ElsWithers! I’ve archived the page. I just have to understand it.

He’s reversing the letters and came up with the following example:

-aaØ (20): Leonardo (DiCaprio)
-aai (20): (Samuel L.) Jackson
-aau (13): (Arnold) Schwarzenegger
-aam (11): (Bill) Murray
-aan (17): (Jack) Nicholson
-aang (14): Harpo (Marx)
-aap (10): (Al) Pacino
-aat (16): (Quentin) Tarantino
-aak (17): (Ben) Kingsley

I can see how LeonAArdo can be linked to -aa0 but some of the others really don’t make sense to me. I think he’s omitting some of the vowels and consonants like in the major system?

I guess -aan: (Jack) Nicholson is remembered as 'Jack NicolsAn first.
Is that how it works?

So -aak : (Ben) Kingsley is remembered as kAngsley first.

But I don’t understand how to go from -aai to (Samuel L.) Jackson.
hmm.

I like the bit for tones:

The tones are encoded by sublocations. I chose some that correspond roughly with the tone itself. The first tone is the highest: the sublocation is the roof. The second tone is rising from low to high: on the stairs, in the elevator, on the escalator. The sixth tone is low: outside the building. The fourth tone goes from low to even lower: in the cellar or basement, or going down the stairs leading to it. The third tone is in the middle: the sublocation is anywhere in the building. That is, except for the toilet, which is reserved for the fifth tone.

It’s more physical than mine:
1 = It’s all happening while flying in the sky
2 = Going up from waist level or higher
3 = Head level
4 = Going down to the ground
5 = From genital level to eye level
6 = Rolling along the floor

1 Like

Syllables… What would be the purpose of memorizing syllables, and what that list means at all as a whole and how are you going to use those mnemonic associations like ep = Jeffrey Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself? Maybe I learn something new with your answer. I am familiar with conventional memory palace and a bit with normal peg system.

o_O
I get the impression you haven’t read the links mentioned. Especially this one:

Not all sounds are represented by sounds…As far as Jack Nicholson goes, for example, the only things you need to remember are that he is an actor (-aa-) and his name starts with N (-n). So he represents -aan. It doesn’t matter what vowels or other letters are in his name.

Sometimes there are loopholes. For example -aang should be represented by a male actor whose name starts with NG, but it’s hard to find American actors whose names start with NG. So we use H- instead.

(Fun fact; in English, ng never comes at the beginning of a syllable and h never comes at the end.)

Same thing with Samuel L. Jackson. Should represent -aaj, but there is no -aaj in Cantonese, so he represents -aai. (i and j are practically the same, right?)

1 Like

Have you tried studying Cantonese (spoken and written)? That might provide you with some context.

I study Chinese simplified and sometimes I get in touch with Chinese traditional characters. I never had problems in remembering tones.