Can you dominate any field of work with good memory?

If you can memorize books can you become the best in any field you choose like programming or engeneering things where you have to find solutions quickly ?Even if it takes 6 hours to do a 2 hour series of exercises?

I don’t think memorizing books is the key to a successful career, even if it were possible. But a good memory helps in many areas, especially remembering names, and learning new vocabulary quickly, or memorizing sales prices, or remembering lists, etc.

I think the short answer is no.
If you had a perfect eidetic semantic memory then you could flip through medical and surgical books and remember everything in them, but I don’t think that would make you a great surgeon, or even a mediocre one as there are obviously other things required to be a surgeon. Being able to remember things is only half the battle (or less), since data isn’t knowledge and knowledge isn’t ability.

Maybe you would be the number one in knowledge, but I think you could still suffer from lack of practice. For example take playing the piano. Knowing music theory doesn’t mean that you can perform well.

Same for things like medical treatment. You can know all the symptoms of every illness from books, but does that ensure that you make the correct diagnosis in real life?
An experienced developer will probably beat you in speed when you just started to programm, even when you have superior knowledge.

Take a look at giants like Linus Torvalds, Richard Stallman, Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton or Thomas Alva Edison. How many of them are known to memorize books?

I wish, but what you remember has no instant connection to muscle memory or the nervous system. For example you can read how to do a perfect back squat, but until you get under the bar and practice your nervous system does not know how to push the bar in a perfect way. For the first few times when lifting weights you are not getting stronger, but instead teaching your nervous system to respond more efficently to moving the weight.

So coming back to your question, you need repeated context application to what you memorised, that is the thing which takes time.
It would be like walking into a food store, you have all these ingredients, but what are you going to do with it?

As the others have said, memory techniques are not the end all be all. But, I believe that knowing your subject well through mnemonics can push you past your peers most of the time. Even in fields like math you can reach a higher level than someone who understands the subject quickly but forgets quickly.

This is a question with no clean answer.

Of course having a lot of knowledge helps. But the real expertise comes from demonstrations through action, not recitations of information - unless you’re a speaker, debater, or someone who is otherwise called upon to demonstrate knowledge verbally in real time without access to texts.

So if you’re in the media, then definitely, knowing a ton of stuff from books and being able to quote facts will help you dominate - within that field.

But if you’re going to operate one someone’s brain, they’re not going to care if you can recite the textbook. They’ll want to know how many hours you’ve spent in surgery and how many successes you’ve created.

Investing in your intellectual abilities is likely to pay off in ways that are indirect and interesting. Sharpening the saw.

The actual, simple, answer is no. It can help but any job that could have been dominated with only memory skills would have been automated long ago