Can memory techniques help an actor learn lines?

Does anyone have tips for an actor who wants to speed up the memorization of my lines?

2 Likes

Hi and welcome,

There are always lines or aspects of a line that can be visualized.

Try that

Also, Read the script and try to make a Journey out of it and make it a Journey memory exercise.

Stefos

@anon44806304, can you give me an example of the context of a long passage, not so much the text, but other people on stage, costuming for that scene, significant keywords that cue you to speak, and the scenery details? These will be useful in creating a palace to attach keywords of the passage you need to remember.

In general, keywords with regular and spaced review will provide enough detail for long passages but you can improve your recall by adding more keywords when necessary.

Do you mean a keyword from the line?

@anon44806304, yes, that would be what you use to construct some images to hook to the cue. But the cue or a trigger in Anthony’s case would be “Let us hear him” so he knows to then speak. And the keywords, or the main words of the text, are then put in visual terms to create a story. Bury and praise would be good keywords of that line.

I want to get some context so that there are more details to work with. I can see “Friends, Romans, countrymen” as an acronym of FRC or a frock. Who is wearing the frock? Who is the character that stands out who says “let us hear him”? Where is he standing? Does he do something unique at that point? Does he have an object in his hand? Do you?

If you have a video to watch of a monologue, we could analyze the context at a particular point.

I saw an interesting video a while back, about how to learn lines, by an actor named Lauren Tothero. Nelson Dellis liked it. Have you seen it?

3 Likes