Brain training routines

Hello,
I am looking for a memory routine that I can follow to train my brain. I want but a comprehensive routine that trains all my brain. I’m looking for something that works on memory, logic, lateral thinking, creativity, visualization, mind mapping, and other aspects. I’m not looking for a quick-win technique that will improve my brain, but a training plan that I can use to really train the brain.

Any suggestions,
Thanks

3 Likes

Basically, what I really want is a program that I can follow and that will take my brain to good levels

I’d recommend you to read the book by Phil Chambers "How To Train Your Memory"
He covers almost all of what you are looking for and will give you a good head start.
It’s a brilliant book, I got a copy from amazon.

“Search” feature on the forum navigation menu is also your friend, there are many posts about it.

I’ve also shared a little routine I follow as much as I can.

Once you start a training routine, it would make sense to test yourself daily and make notes of your progress. I often practice on https://memoryleague.com , and you should also test yourself on what you want to learn & memorise, and see how you go with it, and if you have any issues then many people on the forum are willing to help.

4 Likes

You might be interested in the memory training tools page.

3 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: 10,000 random numbers in pairs for image training

Does the book just teach memory concepts or does it also teach how to have a daily memory routine and also how to apply concepta in real life

Is the book a training routine or does it just teach tequniques

1 Like

Yes. The book is a How To book, it covers almost all the methods of memorising almost everything that can be applied to real life. It’s actually one of the best books on memory training I’ve read!

Another book I have recently bought and read is “Mastering Memory - 75 Memory Hacks” By Brad Zupp. This is another fantastic book for those who want to apply the methods into day to day life, education and career. I was offered his How to memorise passwords Book a while ago for free on Kindle, I liked that book very much, and followed him on amazon and so bought his new book. This may also be very useful for you.

As for a training routine, I’ve already outlined what I do which may be some help to you. However, what I’ve outlined does not go into details as to How exactly I do it if that’s what you mean by training routine? I have my own ways of training which seems to work for me, and two other persons I have fully trained and still training.

What is it you are trying to achieve as the end goal with a training routine?
Compete?
or Use in daily life?

If you can be a little more specific with what type of training routine you are looking for then we can all help with that, providing you ask for each routine individually as each principle is different such names & faces, numbers, cards etc. Each has its own training routine.

4 Likes

I suppose I want to do both. I want something that helps in my daily life but I also want to compete too

What has really helped me get into my brain exercises was developing the habit to do microsessions, whether in the bus, during a walk, while waiting for something (my meal cooking in the microwave, Ive got a book there now ! ), and even if it’s just one or two minutes.

I do a little exercise or go through a little part of a Memory Palace or read a page or two anytime.

What’s also great about this is most of the time I don’t even feel like I’m doing any work, even though I’m getting great results.

P.s I also got a gift for brain HQ which really keeps my brain stay sharp in many ways. Unfortunately its not free…

2 Likes

I can see what you are asking for. Everyone else is giving you info on learning and using memory techniques but I think you are looking for a routine on a daily basis on what to practice. Would you say that is correct?

Is that is the case, you need to build a routine after what your goal is. You don’t want to just start learning and practicing techniques if it never gets you to your goal. It’s like wanting to be a body builder but all your exercises are cardio and not weight lifting.

Know your goal then start practicing everyday. SO it will vary how much you practice but start out small maybe 10 minutes a day. But you have to make sure you practice at the same time everyday so it becomes a habit. Also have time where you are trying to learn what you want. This will be a bigger chunk of time like at least 30 minutes. You would also have this at the same time everyday.

You said you want to compete so this means you will have to set more time aside for training, system creation, and memory palaces creation. You would split the days so you are focusing on one things a day. What I mean is don’t do system creation, memory palace create, and memory training all on the same day because it will take so much time plus you will try to rush to get through things. This will make everything less productive.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

YES!!!
You have hit on exactly what I want. I think that I will focus on poetry memorization and competing. Also, book memorization. I think that the best thing would be to create my PAO, practice visualization, and memory palaces daily, and then learn how to memorize texts.

Thank you for your helpful reply,

1 Like

I think that my overall goal is to sharpen my brain to be the best it can become

I am glad i could help out! I would also recommend memorizing random words because poems and text are made out of words! haha Try to build a time slot you always practice because this is probably the hardest part.

1 Like

I always Google for reviews on any any recommended product. There’s only one Amazon review by his mother. But that’s OK - memory books are “niche” books.

The following review from Anthony Metivier makes up for it:

I was born long before the word “yesterday” was introduced into the English language by Al Gore. So I’m aware of “sweetheart reviews”. I checked to see if any of Metvier’s stuff had been reviewed by Chambers. Answer: Negative (as my US military cousins and The Terminator would say). Or “sweet FA” by the Brits).

Here are some quotes from Metvier’s review of Chamber’s book:

Phil’s got street cred.

More than being a leading memory expert, he’s the Chief Arbiter of the World Memory Championships.

Phil is also one of the few memory trainers who has thought deeply about combining Memory Palaces with Mind Maps. He is a World Mind Mapping Champion,

Phil has taught memory improvement and mind mapping alongside Tony Buzan himself

One skill in particular that you’ll get better at after reading this book is the one that matters the most:

The ability to convert abstract information into concrete images better and faster.

The techniques you use for competition are not necessarily the same as the ones you would use in every day life or for large learning projects.

The book includes a number of his own mind maps that explain the memory techniques taught in the book.

Phil gives you a decision matrix for knowing when to use mind maps for memory and when to go to more dedicated techniques and strategies.

I’ve been thinking about what I’ve learned from him about mind mapping and often impose a “mnemonic clock” on the page built from the Major so that each position has a ready made image.

[End of quotes from Chambers’ “How To Train Your Memory”]

You might notice the last quote referring to “mnemonic clock”.

Maybe he read the post by @Erol on this forum:

Thanks.

2 Likes

Is this the book. Because it just seems the same as any memory book

Yes that is the book. I have the same book. Imo It’s a great book for the beginners and for the intermediate users. Phil Chambers has a very nice style of writing, it’s very easy to follow and to understand. You’d perhaps have to read it a few times if you are a beginner. He talks about the Semantic and Episodic memory, and goes into details of how a piece of data is memorised. The Seahorse acronym is how one person can actually train to have a better memory, it’s well thought.
He also has 8 mind maps that summarise the book and covers all the methods. That alone is worth buying the book for.
I have many books on memory, and this is one of my favourites.

I’d also recommend Mastering Memory - 75 Memory Hacks” By Brad Zupp
It covers daily life, school, and work, each with 25 memory hacks/methods.

2 Likes