Best way to calculate + commit to memory a table with odds/ratios/%?

Hello everyone,

First post here :slight_smile:

I am an aspiring poker player and I created a table for myself that is basically 5 columns of different critical values for pot odds for poker.

While I can mentally calculate it’s contents decently quickly, I want to :

1. Commit this table to memory
  2. Improve the speed with which I multiply , divide and convert odds and ratios to % when I face slightly different numbers.

What do you think would be the best way to begin this journey? Resources, techniques etc.

Thanks !

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t help you as even counting on my fingers confuses me but it occurs to me it might help you get better answers if you could post the actual table you are wanting to learn?

Thank You, This is the basically the basic form which I want to first commit to memory before I expand and experiment with it further.

As said, I know very little about mnemonics and even less about numbery-things BUT if i had to memorise that table I’d start by reminding myself that it is actually very little data to have to recall- probably less than ten telephone numbers with their full international dailling codes (ie 00 49 **********).
Then I would simply use the Major System to convert each line into a story: So the first line might be " Ulysses (500) the doggie (17) had an anus (20) that was fizzy (80). Then i would place each story line on a memory station in a memory palace or memory journey. Even I, discalculitic as i am, wouldn’t need a mnemonic to remember the last 3 values are %s !

The ‘odds’ I would probably express " 1 2 4" (1/4) which could be the word ‘Diner’ so the whole first line would start " In the diner, Ulysses …" . I’d probably make a mental image of Ulysses being an elderly Irish Wolf Hound (Joyce) lying on the counter of a diner , his bubbling fizzy farting distressing the guests.

But to be honest you would do well to wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to come along.

1 Like

Nice ! Thanks, will definetely consider these. I am still very new so have to learn about how to build a palace / create memory journey.

It would also be great to get some tips on how to learn formulas, I am working on different expected value formulas and their variations.

By the way, disclaimer : The above table was not created by me, I am working on my own version that has a few more values, this was just to give an idea what I am tackling atm.

Any reason you insist on keeping all this redundant data? You really only need two columns in this table; and those you can easily memorize as a double-digit pair.

The last column is simply the complement to 100… if you don’t know those automatically, you should practice the difference from 9 and 10 for tenth digit and unit digit, respectively. Definitely don’t waste time and effort using mnemonics for this!

The first two columns are redundant too and just the intermediary steps to get to the second to last column. Say the total pot is 150 and your call is 50, then simply divide your call by the final pot (which is the total pot plus your bet.)

your\ call\over{total\ pot+your\ call}
{{50\over{150+50}}={50\over{200}}}={1\over{4}}

…so just look up the value for 25% and you got 20%. Really, all you are looking at here is a table of bet size (as % of pot) to equity required to call.

2 Likes

3pwood, I think this was the post I was suggesting you wait for. Even in the short time I have been here I have noticed that Cal is, as his nick name suggests, rather good on numbers.

1 Like

Thanks !

I posted this image just to give a rough idea, I am aware that the last 2 columns are complementary, however - getting rid of the 1st two columns is a great shortcut I didn’t do , thanks !

So basically I just need to remmember 2 pairs of 2-digit numbers for each line, awesomeness.

This is a table that is fairly short, but asssuming it was significantly longer, I would use Major system with a memory palace right?

Also, what would be a good way in your opinion to remmember equations? I have several variations of Expected Value equations I want to commit to memory.

Yes and no… you can always use a single palace or multiple palaces with reverse lookup if convenient; however, most of the time you’ll find a simple ratio that approximates the formula in use, so there is no need to memorize the table of values but rather a few key formulas.

Muscle memory. The important thing is when to use each of the expected value formulas, not what they are. Just understand the logic behind them… like with the bet size (as % of pot) above.

Check a few posts in the category #mental-calculation

1 Like

Thank You !

Basically I’ve been fairly fluent with these and understand the logic behind them and why they are the way they are. My thinking basically was that if I sit myself down to memorize these then I may be able to pull them up quicker during live play (limited amt of time + pressure) so my mental energy can be freed up faster to consider other data points / decisions factors.

Your post made me realize that I simply need to practice them more and strengthen the link between the logic and it’s corresponding numerical representation rather than memorize the numbers and pull them before the logic. Which is ofcourse 100% right.

Will check the forum regarding equations. Thanks !

1 Like

A little late to the discussion.
For the second column, with the first as input,
here is how I would calculate it:

1 divided by the number plus one. After reading the previous replies I found that this is exactly what Cal said.

So lets take 3/4P.
1 divided by (3/4) is 4/3 = 1.33…
Add one gives 2.33…